GCO Sponsors New SSN, Temporary GFL Litigation

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by jrm, Oct 7, 2006.

1. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

One issue in this case is whether a probate judge may refuse to issue a temporary renewal license. There is a hearing scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, at which the judge should decide whether the probate court must issue a temporary renewal license at the time of application.

3. tony218

tony218 New Member

where and when will this hearing be? will it be open to the public?

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Hearing Canceled

Tony,

The hearing would have been at the federal courthouse in Atlanta, and it would have been open to the public, but it has been canceled.

The probate court voluntarily gave the plaintiff the relief he was seeking in the TRO. The letter from the judge's attorney agreeing to do so is available on

http://www.georgiacarry.org

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Gutless wonders :roll: Are we going to have to do this to all 159 counties :?:

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

As soon as that letter gets posted, we may still have something to present to our local judges. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't.

7. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Well, hopefully the 11th Circuit Appeal will give us something on the published record. While the hearing for the TRO may not need to happen, as we were talking about in the other thread, adjudicating the case is not moot because this will continue to happen until an order demanding continuing compliance with the law is issued.

8. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

I think that it is ironic that they posted the code on the temporary license that says that they have to issue the temporary after they refused to do so in the first place. =D>

9. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Info from Forsyth

I light of this letter from Henry Co. and MP's request to call regarding the temporary renewal permits, I had a lovely chat today with a lady at the Forsyth Co. Probate Court. Here's what she said:

1) They know they can't require the SSN. They ask for it for clarity and speediness, but realize they cannot require it. :)

2) They no longer issue temporary renewal permits. Says it 'came down from the Brady bill.' She does also indicate that they would gladly read and absorb any material one may have to the contrary if mailed to them. Very friendly. [-X

3) Their background check process has been greatly improved with electonic fingerprinting and there are no more 3-4 waits. They are trying very hard to comply with the 60 day provision. :righton:

10. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

Re: Info from Forsyth

The Georgia law is contrary.... I would ask her to read OCG 16-11-129. Can these people not read??? :screwy:

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Congratulations and thanks John and Ed.

Lots and lots and lots of gun owners in Georgia are in your debt but, unfortunately, very few of them even realize it.

Do you still need money for this or other cases you've filed? I'll be dropping my contribution off one day this week... promise!

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Mack,

Thanks for the offer, but we are not currently seeking contributions to support any litigation efforts.

13. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Seems as though every Probate Judge has caved confronted by a Real Judge.

I hope the Georgia Probate Judges Association is getting the message and the Institute of Continuing Judical Education is taking notes.

jrm: Let me know when the next show is. I'll buy tickets. At least for the matinee.

14. tony218

tony218 New Member

i understand that the ssn and employer thing have been
    taken care of (some what) but, what about the temp. permit
    thing (because,you know most of our judges apparantly can't read)

but, all those involved in this case: :cheers: :cheers: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
    MANY THANKS, you guys are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I'm going to be forwarding those three documents published on this site to the probate judge in Cherokee County. Hopefully, by the time my GFL expires, I won't have to go through the same problems as Mr. Puckett.

16. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Here's what I plan to send out to my Probate Judge tomorrow:

17. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I would mention the order in the Coweta case as well, as it compels the Probate to process both the application for renewal and temporary renewal permits.

18. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I'm changing the end of the letter to:

19. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Mzmtg,

A couple corrections:

1. The court found for the plaintiff in issuing the restraining order (not the defendant).

2. The court really found mootness based on the fact that it had issued the restraining order, not on the fact that DPS changed its form.

20. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

10-4, revising again :)