Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
ETA: Way to go, GCO!

Asshat said:
"It really makes no sense because I don't think we need guns in the park where kids are playing," he said. "I still think the safety of our kids should be paramount. I think we need to be a little more restrictive, but the state thinks not."
:rant:
Can anyone explain to me how a gun possessed in a park by a person who has had a criminal background check is inherently more dangerous that the f00king monkey bars? The gun is not going to jump up and start shooting children. Seriously, is the gun going to smoke some PCP and just go ape [email protected]^ on a group of toddlers?

It was just pointed out to me that monkey bars have been removed from many parks because they're a danger to children. Some days, I'm so ashamed of my country... *sigh*

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
"We're not ashamed of anything we're doing," [Malum Prohibitum] said. "We think it's important for people to protect themselves while visiting state and local parks. Georgia firearms license holders are notoriously safe."
Nice.

:righton:

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
From the end of the article:
:D

GeorgiaCarry.org President Ed Stone said he is pleased to see Kennesaw take steps to change its ordinance, but said the organization would pursue legal action if the city failed to act.

"We will of course follow up to see if they follow through with the attorney's recommendation," he said. "We will be present at City Council meetings."

GeorgiaCarry.org is presently suing Coweta County over a similar ordinance. The suit is pending appeal in the Georgia Court of Appeals.

Stone said the organization has contacted several other Georgia cities and counties about changes to similar firearms ordinances. He said Gwinnett, Forsyth, and Lee counties have each repealed their ordinances.

"We're not ashamed of anything we're doing," he said. "We think it's important for people to protect themselves while visiting state and local parks. Georgia firearms license holders are notoriously safe."

Stone said GeorgiaCarry.org pursues changing city and county ordinances as organization members bring issues to their attention.

"Every one we pursue is for the benefit of a member who was affected by this," he said.
The reporter really, really wanted to know how this came to GCO's attention. :? She was very insistent.

I told her about the murder of my friend's daughter and toddler granddaughter, Whitney and Jordan Land, who were kidnapped from a county park and left burning in their car in another county park, but that did not make it into the story.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
THR, GT, AR15.com, packing (if working), and your friends and family? :D

We should not squander this opportunity to let people know about GCO.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
THR, GT, AR15.com, packing (if working), and your friends and family? :D

We should not squander this opportunity to let people know about GCO.
Both articles are at THR

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
budder said:
I thought we picked a spokesperson! MP is just trying to steal all the stardom!
We have a PR coordinator - but MP needs to get the tie in front of everyone!

:wink:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
"But think of the children!"

Heard anytime a politician can't find real justification for his/her BS cause.

:rotfl:

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
budder said:
wsweeks2 said:
budder said:
I thought we picked a spokesperson! MP is just trying to steal all the stardom!
We have a PR coordinator - but MP needs to get the tie in front of everyone!

:wink:
But I thought we wanted to get more members.
Who would mess with "THE TIE"? If you think liberals are afraid of guns, wait until you see the Tie Control Legislation they have brewing. :wink:

tace said:
"But think of the children!"

Heard anytime a politician can't find real justification for his/her BS cause.
:rotfl2:

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Kennesaw considers about-face on guns rule

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:13 AM EDT

By Ashley Hungerford

Marietta Daily Journal Staff Writer

KENNESAW - After a recommendation from a city attorney, the mayor and City Council will consider repealing a city rule that prohibits firearms possession in public parks.

GeorgiaCarry.org, an organization dedicated to preserving Georgia's right to keep and bear arms, sent a four-page letter through its attorney, John R. Monroe, on July 23 to Kennesaw City Attorney Fred Bentley Jr. asking that the City Council repeal an ordinance that prohibits people from carrying firearms in public parks.

The organization asked for the city to repeal the ordinance because "it is in violation of state law," citing a state statute, the state Constitution, case law and the opinion of the Georgia Attorney General.

The parks ordinance in question, adopted Aug. 4, 2003, states, "it shall be unlawful to - have in their possession any weapons or firearms including but not limited to handguns, rifles, air gun or any knife that could be used as a weapon."

On Aug. 6, Assistant City Attorney Stuart Sims sent a reply letter to Monroe and GeorgiaCarry.org.

"The Mayor and council of the city of Kennesaw have agreed that the current version of this ordinance should be repealed and are planning to adopt a revised section," Sims said in the letter. "As such, no legal action is necessary to cure this contradiction between the preempting state statute and this city ordinance."

Kennesaw Mayor Leonard Church said Bentley advised the council on action regarding the ordinance at its Aug. 1 work session.

He said the city has started the process to repeal and adopt a revised ordinance, including scheduling the necessary public hearings.

"We can't supersede the state law," Church said. "The state decided it was OK to carry a gun in (public) parks. "

While Church said he understands the city must follow state law, he said the safety of children in parks should be a top priority.

"It really makes no sense because I don't think we need guns in the park where kids are playing," he said. "I still think the safety of our kids should be paramount. I think we need to be a little more restrictive, but the state thinks not."

GeorgiaCarry.org President Ed Stone said he is pleased to see Kennesaw take steps to change its ordinance, but said the organization would pursue legal action if the city failed to act.

"We will of course follow up to see if they follow through with the attorney's recommendation," he said. "We will be present at City Council meetings."

GeorgiaCarry.org is presently suing Coweta County over a similar ordinance. The suit is pending appeal in the Georgia Court of Appeals.

Stone said the organization has contacted several other Georgia cities and counties about changes to similar firearms ordinances. He said Gwinnett, Forsyth, and Lee counties have each repealed their ordinances.

"We're not ashamed of anything we're doing," he said. "We think it's important for people to protect themselves while visiting state and local parks. Georgia firearms license holders are notoriously safe."

Stone said GeorgiaCarry.org pursues changing city and county ordinances as organization members bring issues to their attention.

"Every one we pursue is for the benefit of a member who was affected by this," he said.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts