GCO in Marietta Daily Journal

Discussion in 'In the News' started by wsweeks2, Aug 10, 2007.

1. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

:woohoo:

More good press for GCO !!!

3. M249

M249 New Member

ETA: Way to go, GCO!

:rant:
    Can anyone explain to me how a gun possessed in a park by a person who has had a criminal background check is inherently more dangerous that the f00king monkey bars? The gun is not going to jump up and start shooting children. Seriously, is the gun going to smoke some PCP and just go ape $!@^ on a group of toddlers?

It was just pointed out to me that monkey bars have been removed from many parks because they're a danger to children. Some days, I'm so ashamed of my country... *sigh*

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Maybe if it's a 1911 - they're getting a bit older and are more unpredictable.

:wink:

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

pretty soon we will all have to wear helpmets while walking, carry a first aid kit and be told how to get where we are going as we cannot think for ourselves anymore and believe everybody else should be responsible for our actions.

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Nice.

:righton:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

From the end of the article:
    :D

The reporter really, really wanted to know how this came to GCO's attention. :? She was very insistent.

I told her about the murder of my friend's daughter and toddler granddaughter, Whitney and Jordan Land, who were kidnapped from a county park and left burning in their car in another county park, but that did not make it into the story.

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. Malum Prohibitum

THR, GT, AR15.com, packing (if working), and your friends and family? :D

We should not squander this opportunity to let people know about GCO.

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Both articles are at THR

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm still not sure that that the other made it. When I posted it, it said that I would get an email saying whether or not it has been approved. I haven't gotten one yet.

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I thought we picked a spokesperson! MP is just trying to steal all the stardom!

13. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Way to go MP, JRM and all of GCO! This is great news. Can't wait to see the same thing in Roswell!!

:woohoo:

14. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

We have a PR coordinator - but MP needs to get the tie in front of everyone!

:wink:

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

But I thought we wanted to get more members.

16. tace

tace New Member

"But think of the children!"

Heard anytime a politician can't find real justification for his/her BS cause.

:rotfl:

17. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Who would mess with "THE TIE"? If you think liberals are afraid of guns, wait until you see the Tie Control Legislation they have brewing. :wink:

:rotfl2:

18. Malum Prohibitum

:evil:
    Article disappears after one day!

19. Malum Prohibitum

Kennesaw considers about-face on guns rule

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:13 AM EDT

By Ashley Hungerford

Marietta Daily Journal Staff Writer

KENNESAW - After a recommendation from a city attorney, the mayor and City Council will consider repealing a city rule that prohibits firearms possession in public parks.

GeorgiaCarry.org, an organization dedicated to preserving Georgia's right to keep and bear arms, sent a four-page letter through its attorney, John R. Monroe, on July 23 to Kennesaw City Attorney Fred Bentley Jr. asking that the City Council repeal an ordinance that prohibits people from carrying firearms in public parks.

The organization asked for the city to repeal the ordinance because "it is in violation of state law," citing a state statute, the state Constitution, case law and the opinion of the Georgia Attorney General.

The parks ordinance in question, adopted Aug. 4, 2003, states, "it shall be unlawful to - have in their possession any weapons or firearms including but not limited to handguns, rifles, air gun or any knife that could be used as a weapon."

On Aug. 6, Assistant City Attorney Stuart Sims sent a reply letter to Monroe and GeorgiaCarry.org.

"The Mayor and council of the city of Kennesaw have agreed that the current version of this ordinance should be repealed and are planning to adopt a revised section," Sims said in the letter. "As such, no legal action is necessary to cure this contradiction between the preempting state statute and this city ordinance."

Kennesaw Mayor Leonard Church said Bentley advised the council on action regarding the ordinance at its Aug. 1 work session.

He said the city has started the process to repeal and adopt a revised ordinance, including scheduling the necessary public hearings.

"We can't supersede the state law," Church said. "The state decided it was OK to carry a gun in (public) parks. "

While Church said he understands the city must follow state law, he said the safety of children in parks should be a top priority.

"It really makes no sense because I don't think we need guns in the park where kids are playing," he said. "I still think the safety of our kids should be paramount. I think we need to be a little more restrictive, but the state thinks not."

GeorgiaCarry.org President Ed Stone said he is pleased to see Kennesaw take steps to change its ordinance, but said the organization would pursue legal action if the city failed to act.

"We will of course follow up to see if they follow through with the attorney's recommendation," he said. "We will be present at City Council meetings."

GeorgiaCarry.org is presently suing Coweta County over a similar ordinance. The suit is pending appeal in the Georgia Court of Appeals.

Stone said the organization has contacted several other Georgia cities and counties about changes to similar firearms ordinances. He said Gwinnett, Forsyth, and Lee counties have each repealed their ordinances.

"We're not ashamed of anything we're doing," he said. "We think it's important for people to protect themselves while visiting state and local parks. Georgia firearms license holders are notoriously safe."

Stone said GeorgiaCarry.org pursues changing city and county ordinances as organization members bring issues to their attention.

"Every one we pursue is for the benefit of a member who was affected by this," he said.