GCO Gun Raffle - M1A

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gunsmoker, May 30, 2018.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Those of us who are GCO members got an e-mail recently announcing, among other things, the raffle of a new National Match M1A with the Marine Corps emblem on one side of the receiver and GCO board member Chuck Tourney's signature on the operating rod.

A really cool rifle, and I bought a ticket for $10, even though I already have one of these (also a N.M.). If I win it, I'll probably shoot it once and then sell it to some fellow GCO member.

ANYHOW, the e-mail said that this rifle, which as a full MSRP of $2300 (sounds about right-- the Match models cost much more than standard service rifle grade), would have only a maximum of 1000 tickets sold for it by the deadline of Midnight on the night of June 1. The winning number, if it comes up at all, will be picked via the Georgia Lottery's numbers mid-day on June 2nd.

So, if 1000 tickets ARE sold at $10 each, that's ten grand for the rifle, which would probably earn GCO a good $7300 profit after the expenses of having the engraving done.

But what if significantly less than 1000 tickets are sold? Is GCO ready to stick to the cut-off date and let the chips fall where they may, even if it means taking a loss? The wording of that part of the notice via e-mail says:

"If all the tickets are not sold by midnight and the number of the GA Cash 3 lottery was not sold, we will sell no more tickets for the raffle. We will use the midday Cash 3 numbers for the following day...and continue...the following day until we get a winner."

Anyhow, I hope GCO sells all 1000 tickets.

If you're not a GCO member, sign up now!

If you are a GCO member and didn't see this e-mail, check your inbox! Confirm that GCO has your correct e-mail. THey don't spam you, and all GCO's updates are worth reading if you follow the political antics at the legislature and want to know how gun control legislation is progressing.

[​IMG]

UtiPossidetis and tmoore912 like this.
  2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Bought my 10(+2). Last I heard there were around 300 tickets left, but that was a couple days ago.

3. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

On one hand, I want my odds to stay good of winning. On the other hand, I want the grassroots, volunteer, not-for-profit GCO that fight so dayum hard for our rights to get more operating money.

So...BUY SOME TICKETS, PEEPS!!! :righton:

That is one extremely cool gun. I have always wanted one, and always will (unless I win this one - hehe). When I was an FFL (when that was easy and cheap), I bought the last new one that was available at that time, for a friend. Get this - for about $450. About 22 years ago.

UtiPossidetis and DonT like this.
  4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Hopefully they max out the raffle. I purchased 6 tickets. I don't win these things but at least with this I know the money is going to a good cause.

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  5. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Took care of getting the winning ticket yesterday. Hope they sell them all. Sure as hell going to a good cause.

6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Well crap, I wish that you had told me before I purchased my tickets...

7. Glockenator

I keep dreaming about that M1A. I can't wait until I get it and can fondle it. :mrgreen:
    It is just about tied with a Gatling Gun to be at the top of my list of dream guns.

8. Glockenator

9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

OK, you win. Just bought my 5 tickets.

Interestingly enough, I actually won one of these in a Sniper Country raffle back in 2001. It looked almost identical to the one above. I sent it off to Geoff Corn in Indiana who, with the help of my credit card, turned it into this:
    [​IMG]

This was in my M1A phase of life. I had 8 of them at one time. :mrgreen:

10. gunsmoker

11. Glockenator

If I had a few, I would customize at least one. If I had only one, I would want it completely OEM, with no modifications at all. If I were to win this one, I might sell it to fund a completely OEM one, that I would actually shoot for fun, and keep for a SHTF weapon. Because I would be afraid to use, scratch up and degrade the value of this one, which is more of a collector's item.

I used to have a Swiss K-31, in 7.5x55 Swiss (IIRC). That round is almost identical to .308 in ballistics. I fell completely in love with that round. Immediately after zeroing my scope, I put 9 rounds into one ragged hole in a 7/8" group at 100 yds. That was the first time I had ever shot that rifle, and with just a $200 scope. Later, I saw what that round would do to 1/2" steel plate.

12. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Not to go off track here but has anyone here had experience with both the M14 and the M1A? I am intimate with the M14 having slept with one for many years but have only drooled over the M1a. Do they both handle and shoot about the same? I am versed in the specs but that's all.

13. 175FO

175FO Member

Just bought a couple.

Does anyone know is GCO physically mailing tickets or somehow electronically assigning ticket numbers for each purchaser?

14. Glockenator

My ticket number was emailed to me.

15. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I bought my five, got a sixth raffle ticket. Got numbers emailed to me.

16. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

The good news is that GCO Sold Out of 1,000 raffle tickets.

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  17. Glockenator

Lots o' buckaroos for our champion of gun rights, to keep on fighting. For us. :righton:

18. gunsmoker

if both weapons have the same stock and they have the same barrel length and they are both standard grade (as contrasted with national match or ultra match) how could they feel or handle any different from each other ?

Shooting an M14 in semi auto mode should feel exactly like shooting the M1A, which is only available in semi automatic.

I have handled M14s but not shot one. They feel just like my Springfield M1A.

It's just like the M-16/ M4.
    I have fired full auto M-16s and M4s. I have shot semi auto copies -- the AR-15's. Assuming the gun is configured the same with the same barrel length and furniture and type of sights, they feel identical to each other in semi auto mode.

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Im going to win, because I have 762 and it’s a 7.62 caliber rifle.