Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
I urge all of you, members and non-members alike to reflect just for a moment on how GCO is doing an outstanding job for your carry rights. If you are a member please volunteer, plan to attend some legislature committee meetings, and sign up as many folks as you can.

If you are a non-member then please sign up now. You will become part of an organization that has fought for you and will continue to do so even more. $15.00 per year is as easy as it gets. Pack two lunches this coming week. You will easily save the $15.00 and can join by Friday!

·
Registered
6,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
As a Cherokee County tax payer, I would like to see some of my tax monies paid going to the GCO coffers. That would be taxes well spent.

If anyone is interested there will be an open slot in the Probate Office next election. The word from my attorneys in Canton is McVay will not be running again. It would be nice to have a competent, gun friendly judge in office here.

Chris

·
Registered
787 Posts
Judge Dodd has already indicated that he won't run for re-election.

If there are any GCO members interested in running for either, I'm sure the members of GCO will rally to your support. One of the key purposes of GCO is the mutual support to advance our rights.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
1911packer said:
Do you have to be a lawyer to run for probate judge?
Depends on the population of the county.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
ber950 said:
1911packer wrote:
County population only applies to fiilling an unexprired term by the chief deputy clerk, not legal qualifications.

If ya got a GED, yer good ta go!

O.C.G.A. § 15-9-2
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2007 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.
*** Current through the 2007 Regular Session ***
TITLE 15. COURTS
CHAPTER 9. PROBATE COURTS
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
O.C.G.A. § 15-9-2 (2007)
§ 15-9-2. Eligibility and disabilities; restrictions on fiduciary role

(a)(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, no person shall be eligible to offer for election to or hold the office of judge of the probate court unless the person:

(A) Is a citizen of the United States;

(B) Is a resident of the county in which the person seeks the office of judge of the probate court for at least two years prior to qualifying for election to the office and remains a resident of such county during the term of office;

(C) Is a registered voter;

(D) Has attained the age of 25 years prior to the date of qualifying for election to the office, but this subparagraph shall not apply to any person who was holding the office of judge of the probate court on July 1, 1981;

(E) Has obtained a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent; and

(F) Has not been convicted of a felony offense or any offense involving moral turpitude contrary to the laws of this state, any other state, or the United States.

(2) Each person offering as a candidate for the office of judge of the probate court shall file an affidavit with the officer before whom such person has qualified to seek the office of judge of the probate court prior to or at the time of qualifying as a candidate. The affidavit shall affirm that the person meets all the qualifications required by subparagraphs (A), (C), (D), (E), and (F) of paragraph (1) of this subsection and either subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1) of this subsection or subsection (c) of this Code section.

(b) The judge of the probate court cannot, during his term of office, be executor, administrator, or guardian, or other agent of a fiduciary nature required to account to his court. When any person holding such trust is elected judge of the probate court, his letters and powers immediately abate upon his qualification. However, a judge of the probate court may be an administrator, guardian, or executor in a case where the jurisdiction belongs to another county or in a special case where he is allowed by law and required to account to the judge of the probate court of another county.

(c) In all counties of this state which have a population of 550,000 or more according to the United States decennial census of 1980 or any future such census, a chief deputy clerk of the probate court having served as chief deputy clerk for more than two years shall be eligible to fill a vacancy in the office of probate judge for the remainder of the unexpired term without regard to whether such chief deputy clerk meets any residency requirements otherwise imposed by law if the chief deputy clerk becomes a resident of the county before taking office as probate judge. Any probate judge taking office as authorized by the preceding sentence shall thereafter be eligible to succeed himself or herself so long as he or she remains a resident of the county.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1851-52, p. 91, § 5; Code 1863, §§ 302, 303; Code 1868, §§ 362, 363; Code 1873, §§ 327, 328; Code 1882, §§ 327, 328; Civil Code 1895, §§ 4228, 4229; Civil Code 1910, §§ 4786, 4787; Code 1933, § 24-1711; Ga. L. 1983, p. 544, § 2; Ga. L. 1984, p. 22, § 15; Ga. L. 1985, p. 1247, § 1; Ga. L. 1989, p. 1091, § 2.

O.C.G.A. § 15-9-2

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wiley said:
ber950 said:
1911packer wrote:
County population only applies to fiilling an unexprired term by the chief deputy clerk, not legal qualifications.

If ya got a GED, yer good ta go!

[quote:1x9qg7mn]O.C.G.A. § 15-9-2
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2007 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.
*** Current through the 2007 Regular Session ***
TITLE 15. COURTS
CHAPTER 9. PROBATE COURTS
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
O.C.G.A. § 15-9-2 (2007)
§ 15-9-2. Eligibility and disabilities; restrictions on fiduciary role
(snip)
[/quote:1x9qg7mn]

And pay the qualifying fee, then receive more votes than the other guy. Hmm... :wink:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cherokee caves and removes SSN requirment.

Cherokee has caved according to GCO and removed the SSN requirment. Judge David Dodd needs to follow suit and do the same. Cobb County Commission needs to also put a fire up CCPD to make friendly to us gun toters as well.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
1911Packer, your question was: "Do you have to be a lawyer to run for probate judge?" The answer is no.

The qualifying fee is 3% of the minimum salary, which is set by population. For Cobb County the qualifying fee is $3282.78.
§ 15-9-63. Schedule of minimum salaries

(a) (1) Any other laws to the contrary notwithstanding, the minimum annual salary of each judge of the probate court in this state shall be fixed according to the population of the county in which he or she serves, as determined by the United States decennial census of 2000 or any future such census; provided, however, that such annual salary shall be recalculated in any year following a census year in which the Department of Community Affairs publishes a census estimate for the county prior to July 1 in such year that is higher than the immediately preceding decennial census. Each such judge of the probate court shall receive an annual salary, payable in equal monthly installments from the funds of his or her county, of not less than the amount fixed in the following schedule:

Population Minimum Salary
---------- --------------
0 -- 5,999 $ 29,832.20
6,000 -- 11,889 40,967.92
11,890 -- 19,999 46,408.38
20,000 -- 28,999 49,721.70
29,000 -- 38,999 53,035.03
39,000 -- 49,999 56,352.46
50,000 -- 74,999 63,164.60
75,000 -- 99,999 67,800.09
100,000 -- 149,999 72,434.13
150,000 -- 199,999 77,344.56
200,000 -- 249,999 84,458.82
250,000 -- 299,999 91,682.66
300,000 -- 399,999 101,207.60
400,000 -- 499,999 105,316.72
500,000 or more 109,425.84

O.C.G.A. § 15-9-63

·
Romans 10:13
4,652 Posts
AV8R said:
I urge all of you, members and non-members alike to reflect just for a moment on how GCO is doing an outstanding job for your carry rights. If you are a member please volunteer, plan to attend some legislature committee meetings, and sign up as many folks as you can.

If you are a non-member then please sign up now. You will become part of an organization that has fought for you and will continue to do so even more. $15.00 per year is as easy as it gets. Pack two lunches this coming week. You will easily save the $15.00 and can join by Friday!
Well said AV8R!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
budder said:
@[email protected] So, if I read this right, to run for probate judge, you don't have to have a JD, you will make ~$100k a year, and all you have you do to enter is pay a bit over $3k?
Explains a lot don't it.

The only reason I wouldn't want the job is having to deal with all the people who 'get this stuff off the internet'. :rotfl2:

And just think to be a City Councilman, County Commissioner, State Rep., State Sen., Lt. Gov. or, Gov. you don't have to any qualifications at all. #-o

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
Wiley said:
budder said:
@[email protected] So, if I read this right, to run for probate judge, you don't have to have a JD, you will make ~$100k a year, and all you have you do to enter is pay a bit over $3k?
Explains a lot don't it.

The only reason I wouldn't want the job is having to deal with all the people who 'get this stuff off the internet'. :rotfl2:

And just think to be a City Councilman, County Commissioner, State Rep., State Sen., Lt. Gov. or, Gov. you don't have to any qualifications at all. #-o
I think I may need to apply for that job... And even the "read that on the internet" people would mostly be dealing with my clerks and underlings, not me. It's a great job! I could even get GFLs out in a couple of weeks*!

*If the print reports take that long to get back to my office.

EDIT: You have to be a resident for two years! Maybe Pinkie will resign tomorrow...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.