·
Registered
8,809 Posts
AeroShooter said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
ptsmith24 said:
PDF form here

Acceptable?

Thing is, I'm pretty sure you have to have adobe pro (or some of the free utilities out there, such as CutePDF) in order to save a filled-in form.
Looks good. No reason to save it anyway, as people will print the form, right?
Actually, you can just print it to another PDF... and then email it to GCO... with an electronic check to follow up... BTW: Does GCO except electronic bill pay?
AFAIK, you can put ANYONE with an address on billpay. I've paid my dad with it on a few occasions and he just got a check in the mail.

ETA: I forgot about the print to pdf thing. You still need extra software for that though. And, the software I have allows you to save forms, as well as print to pdf from anything you can normally print.

·
16,485 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
AFAIK, you can put ANYONE with an address on billpay. I've paid my dad with it on a few occasions and he just got a check in the mail.

ETA: I forgot about the print to pdf thing. You still need extra software for that though. And, the software I have allows you to save forms, as well as print to pdf from anything you can normally print.
1) That's how Wachovia works.
2) PrimoPDF: http://www.primopdf.com/

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
AeroShooter said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
ptsmith24 said:
PDF form here

Acceptable?

Thing is, I'm pretty sure you have to have adobe pro (or some of the free utilities out there, such as CutePDF) in order to save a filled-in form.
Looks good. No reason to save it anyway, as people will print the form, right?
Actually, you can just print it to another PDF... and then email it to GCO... with an electronic check to follow up... BTW: Does GCO except electronic bill pay?

Well yeah, I understand how the technology works... I was just wondering if GCO has signed up for electronic bill pay service... it's free, just consult any of the online clearing houses... get the money faster... with less hassle.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. It should be entertaining as well as educational. If anyone has any points you want me to incorporate into the presentation feels free to suggest. So far I'm going to do a case study on a recent home invasion case I worked on followed by an analysis of the self defense shooting both in the home and in public, the basics of a criminal prosecution: jail to verdict, criminal laws that the self defense victim may be charged with, and a very brief overview of the new laws and civil issues.

It'll be fun. Although I'll admit, I'm used to only speaking to twelve people at a time. :shock: :D

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
One topic that is debated ad nauseum on gun boards, with regard to self-defense shootings, is the legalities of modifying a carry weapon. [e.g. changing the trigger pull weight]

I think it would be an interesting point to cover in the presentation.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Do you mean like if you are traveling through a school zone and see a person approaching the front door of the school while carrying an AR and in full battle dress? and you reacted with your gun to stop them?

Good question.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Rammstein said:
StarJack said:
As far as I know there is no case law, and it's more of an internet rumor thing.
As of the last time i did a comprehensive search I found no cases dealing with trigger pull weight.

Here's the problem. For an issue to become part of the common law (case law) it must reach the appellate court level. Trial courts deal with facts appellate courts deal with law. The only time an appellate court will review an issue of fact is if there is a clear abuse of discretion on the part of the lower court.

What most people are worried about is the argument "He lowered the weight of the trigger therefore he was less safe". Well whether or not that action adds to your liability by showing your less safe (these were not the actions of a reasonable man) is an issue of fact not of law. Anyone can make that argument, what would make a jury believe it? Also how are the police going to notice that the trigger is lighter? In a civil case at the end of a criminal case if you were not protected by the new liability provisions of the castle doctrine law, couldn't you place some experts on the stand to refute the idea that a lighter trigger is more dangerous? Wouldn't your experts say that it's an improvement to make the gun and its shooter more accurate to improve your ability to hit the right target? Doesn't that make you a better person rather then a more reckless person?

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

·
68,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
zookeper said:
how about if you used deadly force to protect life in an off-limit area. i know nobody here carries where it's forbidden but just assuming it happened.....
There is a statute on that, and it is already a part of DKing's presentation.

·
68,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
DKing said:
Rammstein said:
StarJack said:
As far as I know there is no case law, and it's more of an internet rumor thing.
As of the last time i did a comprehensive search I found no cases dealing with trigger pull weight.

Here's the problem. For an issue to become part of the common law (case law) it must reach the appellate court level. Trial courts deal with facts appellate courts deal with law. The only time an appellate court will review an issue of fact is if there is a clear abuse of discretion on the part of the lower court.

What most people are worried about is the argument "He lowered the weight of the trigger therefore he was less safe". Well whether or not that action adds to your liability by showing your less safe (these were not the actions of a reasonable man) is an issue of fact not of law. Anyone can make that argument, what would make a jury believe it? Also how are the police going to notice that the trigger is lighter? In a civil case at the end of a criminal case if you were not protected by the new liability provisions of the castle doctrine law, couldn't you place some experts on the stand to refute the idea that a lighter trigger is more dangerous? Wouldn't your experts say that it's an improvement to make the gun and its shooter more accurate to improve your ability to hit the right target? Doesn't that make you a better person rather then a more reckless person?

Just thoughts off the top of my head.
Should really only matter if the shooting was a ND, not when the shooting is intentional self defense.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
in a situation like that, you should create some better options. or get closer i.e. "cutting the pie".

An aggressive defense bordering on an offensive strike is very understated. Draw down and move towards the target, quickly, not what most BGs will expect. Not only do you get a better shot, but you have the psychological advantage too.

Like we were taught in the Marines, in an ambush situation, defending will get you killed. Attacking into the ambush immediately and fighting through it increases your survival odds significantly.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
slabertooch said:
in a situation like that, you should create some better options. or get closer i.e. "cutting the pie".

An aggressive defense bordering on an offensive strike is very understated. Draw down and move towards the target, quickly, not what most BGs will expect. Not only do you get a better shot, but you have the psychological advantage too.

Like we were taught in the Marines, in an ambush situation, defending will get you killed. Attacking into the ambush immediately and fighting through it increases your survival odds significantly.
QFT.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
slabertooch said:

I remember in SOI/ITB doing IA drills for close ambush, over and over and over again. :lol: Good training... :wink:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If Im still around I will be there, but Im not sure if I can bring the family again. I may be outta here mid next month for training/school. We shall see... :?:

101 - 120 of 423 Posts