GBI ???????

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by glocked_n_loaded, Mar 20, 2006.

1. is there someone at the GBI that we can get a hold of to find out how long their process is taking these days. i think the counties are just fingerpointing to keep their desks clear. and a contact at the GBI would be helpful... to at least get an average time on how long teh GBI and FBI background checks are taking. How would one go about finding this information???

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Their are several ways.
    I have called them to get the information before.
    You can go to the GCIC's Annual report for 2005 that says:
    Last you can submit an Open Records Act request. I am working on this right now. :-$

3. AN E-MAIL i sent to the "public contact address" at the GBI

[email protected] <[email protected]>

to whom it may concern:
    i am writing this in reference to a background check to my GLF application, which i made on december 15, 2005. It is now 96 days later and i am not able to get my permit from Muscogee county Probate court. They are telling me that the GBI and FBI reports are not back on my application as of yet and i was to just simply wait. The research that i have done tells me that the delay is not on behalf of the GBI or FBI, so i have decided to try a more direct approach.
    Are there statistics available to me concerning the length of time it currently takes to process a GFL background inquiry? The Georgia Code Section 16-11-129 states that the county shall issue a permit in no more than 60 days. My wife and I are currently at 96 days past application date without this issue being resolved. I suspect the delay is in the county processing and not in the GBI's hands, but i would like to know if the fingerpointing the county is doing is actually the case. I do understand some delay, with available personnel shortage issues and other more important matter at hand. i was told that it would be up to 90 days instead of the 60 days the statute allows, and i was accepting to this, but the county is taking no responsibility in this matter, and it seems like it just is not important to them. I have complied with all the requirements of the statute, and am unhappy with the response of "however long it takes" im getting from the county.
    Thank you for your time and review of this matter, and i look forward to hearing from you with any information you can acquire and divulge.

Thank you Again

"g_n_l"
    Muscogee County resident

let's see if i get a response ...

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Don't be surprised if the answer that is given in no way matches what you have asked.

5. wow....this is the response i got first thing this morning............ im impressed so far....we'll see what happens tomorrow

GACriminalHistory <[email protected]>

Mr. g_n_l,

Please give us 24 hours to research if we have the fingerprint cards in house and we can get a response back to you in that time frame. At least we can determine whether we actually received them or not.

Thank you for your patience and understanding

6. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Ok. I must admit that I am impressed. GBI gets :goldstar: for responsiveness. Now let's see how effective they are are following through and delivering a meaningfull answer.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I am surprised too.

I bet they have already sent them back (assuming the court sent it soon after you applied). Another poster said that when he asked them, they said it was sent back to the court over a month before he asked.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I do not believe we have yet encountered a case where the GBI was the actual holdup, but we have more work to do to gather proof.

Does anyone know of a case where the GBI actually was the delay (not just that somebody told you GBI was the delay)?

9. well guys.... there is a first time for everything..... that is , if muscogee county even sent them in when i applied, this is the reply i got today

Mr. G_N_L,

I have researched your request and do not see where we have processed your fingerprint cards as of today. We are currently in a backlog of Applicant fingerprint cards and it could be in house and we just haven't gotten to them yet. Please give us a couple of weeks and check back to see if they have been processed.

Thank you for your patience and if you have questions you can call us at 404-244-2639

10. AND HERE IS MY REPLY:

well..... thank you for your diligence and fast reply, i appreciate the excellent service. one more question.... is there a way to find out if Muscogee county has even submitted them yet, or when they were submitted? if i am looking at a couple of more weeks then that is double the time line on the Georgia statute code 16-11-129 which allows 60 days.

Again thank you very much for your help

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I wonder if the next Probate Court excuse will be about the post office? :roll:

12. Malum Prohibitum

Call the phone number they gave you, read the email, and ask how long is the "backlog" to which they refer in the email.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

In the past "backlog" meant the process took 3-4 weeks. I think the couple weeks probably is the backlog. So if an application was received the date of his email, it would take 2 weeks for it to be processed.

Every time I have heard them talk of their process "backlog" is included. The sentance in the report before the one I quoted above says:

14. Malum Prohibitum

15. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I agree with MP, that calling the number and asking about the backlog would be a good idea. "Backlog" does not necessarily mean they are running behind or experiencing delays. If it normally takes them 2 weeks to process a set up prints, they might refer to the 2-week interval as a "backlog," where another organization might refer to the same interval as a "processing interval."

It would be interesting to find out, after your application is processed, what the date they received your prints was, and what the date they completed their review was. The former would be especially interesting to compare to the date of your application to the probate court. I suspect there will be a large discrepancy between the two, but it would be nice to have data to validate that theory.

16. WELL... i called probate court and i think the girl there is really getting irritated with me..... when she answered "probate court" I said "hello, this is mr gnl..." where i was abruptly cut off in an annoyed voice which said "I told you last time... the judge is not going to sign your permit until that background check comes in....and she is out for the rest of the week anyway, there is nothing i can do" dumbfounded i replied " well im just calling to get some information from you... i called the GBI and they told me to call and ask you what date you sent in my application so they could track it more easily" ....."Well... i just dont have that information for you.. it had to be a few days after you applied though.... you just dont understand there is nothing we can do and there is nothing we will do at this point, if you have any problem with that you can come in and talk to the judge next week"...."at which time i said" "well... thank you very much...you have been very helpful" and she hung up on me. I think i crossed the line in the sand....they are irritated with me now....which i dont think will help my situation any.....we'll see

17. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Sounds like someone was having a bad day and you were a convenient target...so to speak. Odd that my turnaround was only eleven days. Did you have electronic fingerprints, or ink? My wife is well over the eleven days mine took, but she had to have ink prints since the electronic wasn't getting a good read.

18. Malum Prohibitum

I meant to call the GBI at the number they provided and ask about the backlog to which they referred in the email.

Personally, I would put my concerns in writing to the Probate Judge. I am sure 136 people here will help you edit it if you want to post it here before you send it.

19. i called the GBI today and they were going to track down my report but they asked me for muscogee county's "ORI" number????? needless to say i dont even know what that number means....let alone what it is. i asked her to expand on that request and she told me "original request....something or other"... and told me my county may or may not give it to me.... my guess is "may not". can this information be found without asking the county for it? does anyone know anything about this??

MP.. i dont think writing a letter or any persuasion toward the judge would make a difference.... i have been told in no uncertain terms " the judge said she wasn't going to do anything without that report" ... "so you will just have to wait"

20. Malum Prohibitum

On writing the Probate Judge - maybe, maybe not, but one probate judge somewhere might just be convinced to ask the AG for an update on the 1978 opinion, since the statute now mandates issuance, does not require a report, and allows the judge to revoke the license if the report subsequently shows anything negative (implying, of course, that the statute contemplates issuance prior to the report containing negative information arriving) AND IN 1978 GEORGIA WAS "MAY ISSUE" rather than "shall issue" as it is today (thanks, GS1).

It certainly should not hurt your cause. I do not expect it to cause your license to issue. It might help out the rest of us, though, if the AG revisits the opinion.

On the ORI number. That is no big secret. It is on top of every police report form and fingerprint card form in the department. Call the agency that fingerprinted you and ask, without explanation, what is your ORI number, and they will probably just tell you. :wink: