Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this was already discussed on here, but I figured I'd ask you guys if you guys have these, and what's in yours.

Most of my camping gear is my bug out gear, and I can quickly throw that stuff into my 50 liter Arc Teryx pack. I am looking to build a GMBH bag, and I know most of the contents are pretty close to a BOB, but I am just curious what some of you guys have in your kits. I looked on other forums and some kits are from different parts of the country and I wanted something specific for the metro ATL area. I work in Smyrna, on S.Cobb Drive and SE connector, and live on Powers Ferry, and what should I put in my bag so if I needed to trek back home on foot.

What kind of bag do you guys use? I am eye'ing that LA police gear Jumbo bail out bag, so it can be double duty as a laptop bag. What/how much ammo do you put in the bag? HP's or plain ol' FMJs? I carry a CZ-75 D PCR in 9mm everyday, and I have no doubts that'll be enough to get myself home to the bigger guns.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Re: GMBH Bag: Get Me Back Home Bag...Do you have one?

It's a combination bug out bag, car bail out bag and get me home bag since I have a lot more gear at home than in my car. If I need to get home from say work and my car is not able to make the journey, I can walk or take alternate forms.

It has pretty much the same sorts of things a bug out bag would have. Food, a small tarp/tube type tent, basic medical supplies and other things for getting by. Small enough to fit in the car but not take up too much space. Figure on light, and other useful things for camp fires as well. The car kit also includes a larger medical kit and a carbine + ammo.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts

i have a few things in my book bag ive got the 5.11 Rush 72...i pretty much normally have that with me ive got a small knife some benadryl, aspirin, bandaids etc have to leave the gun in my truck when at school but at work its in the bag so i dont print etc in then i have my laptop and charger...i should add some more stuff to it but not a lot because it would be heavy to carry day in and out

i need to add some more stuff in sometimes i have granola bars and bottle of unopened water etc

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts

I've always heard of these bags as GHBs: Get Home Bags. GmbH is the form of corporation H&K (and tons of other European companies) uses, and that's all I can think of when I read the title of this thread. :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

budder said:
I've always heard of these bags as GHBs: Get Home Bags. GmbH is the form of corporation H&K (and tons of other European companies) uses, and that's all I can think of when I read the title of this thread. :p
:lol: :lol: I will change the title

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Re: GMH Bag: Get Me Back Home Bag...Do you have one?

The bag in my car is a general bob/gmh/etc. kit. Fanny pack that I could carry for a day hiking: bottled water, 55 gal bag, first aid, 3 ways to start a fire, compass, mirror, emergency cell phone, etc. I also have a backpack that I could always take for a more serious situation: more extensive first aid kit, shovel, firearm, ammo, food, cooking utensils, etc. Basically everything I would take if I was camping, minus a tent (I do have a tarp to make a makeshift shelter if needed though, plus the 55 gal bag to use as a tube tent).

The idea is that the fanny pack gets me to my car to get my backpack, and my backpack gets me home.

I almost had enough left over in my flex spending account last year to pick up an AED for the car, but I had an unexpected medical bill which ate that up instead.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

This is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions and in terms of answers, one size does not fit all. A lot of what is in the bag depends on the area you are most likely to be in, and what sort of disaster you expect to confront. One can get very hung up on trying to prep for everything and this is a mistake. What you end up with is 100lbs of gear and you may have to hump that 50 miles! Not going to work.

What I did was looked at the top three most likely events, and planned for those. And bear in mind, the mission here is just to get home, nothing more, nothing less.

In order to do this I have three bags
- A shoulder bag with a small trauma kit. The bag is about 6x9x3, and holds the usual you would expect in a small trauma kit; lots of gauze, bandages, and tape. This bag stays in the truck as the truck FAK (first aid kit).
- Clothing bag. Rotated depending of season, it holds just the basics; hat, gloves, jacket, T shirt. The reasoning is here, that I would grab what I needed if I have time, and leave the bag behind with the stuff I don't need.
- Small day pack - this is the most important bag, as it holds water, food, spare ammo, large poncho and a few odds and ends. It weights about 20lbs (thats mostly water). This gets grabbed first, and off home I go!

If you are hiking home through urban areas, keep a little change for the phone, (there are still payphones out there and cell system has a habit of going down in emergencies) and take some notes; one's and five's - you can use them for vending machines (assuming the power is still on) or perhaps a taxi (not all get home events are disaster driven)

If you are planning on keeping food in the vehicle, make sure the food is stable for high temperatures, and temperature cycles. I keep Datrex and Mainstay bars. MREs have a very limited life under these conditions so cycle often if using them.

In all, I guess I'm humping about 25lbs of gear at most - light, fast, still armed just in case, and should be enough for a day to two days hike to get home.

ok, I'll stop now before I end up writing a book.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

BourneEBR said:
I am not sure if this was already discussed on here, but I figured I'd ask you guys if you guys have these, and what's in yours.

Most of my camping gear is my bug out gear, and I can quickly throw that stuff into my 50 liter Arc Teryx pack. I am looking to build a GMBH bag, and I know most of the contents are pretty close to a BOB, but I am just curious what some of you guys have in your kits. I looked on other forums and some kits are from different parts of the country and I wanted something specific for the metro ATL area. I work in Smyrna, on S.Cobb Drive and SE connector, and live on Powers Ferry, and what should I put in my bag so if I needed to trek back home on foot.

What kind of bag do you guys use? I am eye'ing that LA police gear Jumbo bail out bag, so it can be double duty as a laptop bag. What/how much ammo do you put in the bag? HP's or plain ol' FMJs? I carry a CZ-75 D PCR in 9mm everyday, and I have no doubts that'll be enough to get myself home to the bigger guns.
Nobody's the same. Just focus on survival.

Think water, shelter and food first. You can live off of your fat for a few days. When you do consume protein, make it something other than your "stores." Eat fish, squirrels, possum, cats and even dogs before you reach for the freeze dried foods, or the beans and weenies. If you have a tarp, a sleeping bag, a way to keep yourself hydrated,a food source, and a way to protect yourself, you're way ahead of anybody else! Communication, or a radio, is a plus, as is a way to start a fire (read lure to other homeless people) or first aid items. Good luck when the zombies arise. :lol:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

politenessman said:
This is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions and in terms of answers, one size does not fit all. A lot of what is in the bag depends on the area you are most likely to be in, and what sort of disaster you expect to confront. One can get very hung up on trying to prep for everything and this is a mistake. What you end up with is 100lbs of gear and you may have to hump that 50 miles! Not going to work.

What I did was looked at the top three most likely events, and planned for those. And bear in mind, the mission here is just to get home, nothing more, nothing less.

In order to do this I have three bags
- A shoulder bag with a small trauma kit. The bag is about 6x9x3, and holds the usual you would expect in a small trauma kit; lots of gauze, bandages, and tape. This bag stays in the truck as the truck FAK (first aid kit).
- Clothing bag. Rotated depending of season, it holds just the basics; hat, gloves, jacket, T shirt. The reasoning is here, that I would grab what I needed if I have time, and leave the bag behind with the stuff I don't need.
- Small day pack - this is the most important bag, as it holds water, food, spare ammo, large poncho and a few odds and ends. It weights about 20lbs (thats mostly water). This gets grabbed first, and off home I go!

If you are hiking home through urban areas, keep a little change for the phone, (there are still payphones out there and cell system has a habit of going down in emergencies) and take some notes; one's and five's - you can use them for vending machines (assuming the power is still on) or perhaps a taxi (not all get home events are disaster driven)

If you are planning on keeping food in the vehicle, make sure the food is stable for high temperatures, and temperature cycles. I keep Datrex and Mainstay bars. MREs have a very limited life under these conditions so cycle often if using them.

In all, I guess I'm humping about 25lbs of gear at most - light, fast, still armed just in case, and should be enough for a day to two days hike to get home.

ok, I'll stop now before I end up writing a book.
Great point, no perfect kit, and going to Smyrna to Marietta is only a couple of miles, so I'm not trekking too long of a distance.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts

politenessman said:
What you end up with is 100lbs of gear and you may have to hump that 50 miles! Not going to work.
I totally agree. Everything I picked I used the lightest version that didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Even with all my camping gear in the backpack, I come to about 20 lbs packed, plus water. I usually keep 1/2 a pallet to a pallet (12-24 bottles) of bottled water in the car (I bring a bottle or two into work and use it up and buy a new pallet when it gets low) so the weight could change drastically depending on how much water I decide to carry with me (which would be location and disaster dependent).

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts

CountryGun said:
BourneEBR said:

Nobody's the same. Just focus on survival.

Think water, shelter and food first. You can live off of your fat for a few days. When you do consume protein, make it something other than your "stores." Eat fish, squirrels, possum, cats and even dogs before you reach for the freeze dried foods, or the beans and weenies. If you have a tarp, a sleeping bag, a way to keep yourself hydrated,a food source, and a way to protect yourself, you're way ahead of anybody else! Communication, or a radio, is a plus, as is a way to start a fire (read lure to other homeless people) or first aid items. Good luck when the zombies arise. :lol:
i could probably manage a few months lol :shattered:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Other than some small differences, my car kit is pretty much the same as others, Although I prefer Granola Bars , and M&M's for my get home food source.
Something I haven't seen mentioned, but IMHO is very important is Maps & a Compass.
Everybody knows their main route home and maybe an alternate or two, but what if you had to go off route?

Something I discovered the other day is Backcountry Navigator, It's a topographical map program for smartphones that lets you download the maps and use them offline. It interfaces with your GPS, and works even with no signal.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i keep my maxpedition jumbo shoulder bag filled with what i think i would need for bug out, i love that bag! i will modify it if i'm going fishing or hiking but put the gear back in afterwards. i have another pack i keep several days clothing (bdu), a couple towels, and a wool blanket in. i have enough ammo in my vehicle to fill 4 mags in my edc. and i keep a fresh fill in a 1.5l camelbak. honestly if on the road i will just do what i can to get home.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put together a quick list off the top of my head of what I would need just to get home from work to home:

bandana x2
poncho
gorilla tape
wire cutters
eod pry bar
fixed blade
6 cr123 batteries
paracord
FAK
notepad
pens
firekit
tarp
quikclot
2 boxes of 9mm ammo
extra flashlight
folding blade
MRE
energy bars
nalgene
multitool
hand sanitizer
spork

anything else I should add? Most likely I will be putting this all in a LA Police Gear jumbo bail out bag.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
definitely benadryl and aspirin never know when you or a loved one(or even a stranger) will have an allergic reaction or having heart attacks and the aspirin might just be a life saver

also safety sunglasses(or clear or both)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ashe said:
Everybody knows their main route home and maybe an alternate or two, but what if you had to go off route?
Off route for me is taking the path up the rail lines from down town. Say I had to leave downtown when things were REALLY bad, once I got out of the danger area, I'd stick to the tracks. Less chance of coming across people and it's a straight shot to my home neighborhood. Knowing where the streams and creeks are is good, not that those inside town are good as a water source.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Yup, I would be :censored:. Only thing I have is a first aid kit, survival guide book and a pamphlet that shows edible plants around here in my trunk. How much would you say you guys spent on the stuff in your GBH Bags?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I have a GHB based on a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II pack. It's small and lightweight enough that it's not a big deal to carry long distances.

I have water, food, fire, and shelter covered with the bag's contents. I'd have to break it down to make a detailed list. I probably will, because I'm sure there's something else I need to add to it, or perhaps subtract from it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts