Gay Pride

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by TippinTaco, Oct 8, 2010.

1. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

So what do you guys think? I'm going downtown to support our best friends at pride. I've not carried there before but I think I'm going to conceal and see how far I can go without any issues. Don't plan to visit any bars or anything, but I will be riding Marta down there :D

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Why would it be off-limits? Its outside. OC if you want to.

3. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Come on down and carry whatever and however you like.

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

+1

5. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

OC and GCO cards should be handed out and Pink Pistols info

6. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

theres always some signs up some where regarding weapons. But you're absolutely right, I'll decide what flavor of carry I prefer and i'll be @#[email protected]# sure to carry my recorder!!!

7. Good to see someone asking this question. I'll be there this Sunday with my wife and a co-worker. I plan to carry, even on MARTA, but wasn't sure if it'd be an event where I could be asked to leave if I open carry. I'll be sloppy concealing if anything.

8. Dan

Dan Stuck in New England

I don't why you couldn't. I really doubt any confrontations will occur.

9. Owl

Owl New Member

Tippin, you continually amaze me, dude. :)

10. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Let the best dance party's of the year begin! I was the technical producer for this event for years, these boys know how to throw a dance party like no other. No club even gets close, they get the best of everything for this event hands down.:righton:
    If you not homophobic and love to dance the Saturday nite party is the event of the year.

I will add they do not want guns there. They have a lot of police protection and security.

11. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

They generally don't want fag-hags either, but overweight, unattractive, tragic women are just as legal as your firearm...

12. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Hmmm.... no exciting stories from the park ?? :lol:

I carried my 9mm Jericho (because of the manual safety - in case I was disarmed) in my Zookeeper
    carved leather holster (fit right in with all the rest of the leather at the park) and walked past dozens
    of police officers. Either no one noticed... or no one cared. :shock:

Well almost no one... I was also wearing my GCO cap and ended up handing out 20-30 cards.

So... anyone... anyone... 8)

13. I kept my shirt over it, but if you were honestly looking you'd see something pushing out on my right side. No one said anything to me, of course.

Couple of off-topic questions:
    Could MARTA ban you from riding if they saw you carrying a firearm?

Could the police prohibit you from carrying in a park where a public event (such as the convention area of pride in Piedmont) is taking place?

My understanding is they cannot (after HB-89 passed) because they are both publicly owned and operated, and unless a private entity gains control of a park via a lease/rent agreement.

14. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

SB 308 allowed carry on public transit (with a GWL)
    (g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

and stuck the public gathering language
    Said title is further is amended by revising Code Section 16-11-127,
    [stricken] relating to the offense of carrying a deadly weapon to or at public gatherings and affirmative defenses, as follows:"16-11-127.(a) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor when he or she carries to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense. [/stricken]

15. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Actually HB 89 covered carry on public transportation.

16. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Well both are true, since SB308 changed it from an affirmative defense to an element of the crime.

Technically, after HB-308, you could still be arrested for carrying on public transit.

17. I know it's legal to carry but what I am asking is can you be prohibited from carrying onto MARTA or into a park that is housing a non-private event (just a gathering of people, like pride)?

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

19. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

I'm so glad to hear of other people going to Pride! That's great - it makes me feel more welcome on these forums. It's funny though, I'm gay and I don't even go to Pride. I try and stay away from all that. This weekend was nuts - between pride and the braves games (since I live two blocks away from the stadium) it's been crazy everywhere I've been!

However - I had decided that if I was going to go to the festival I would have carried, and I would have OC'd. I'm the only homo I know (and believe me I know A TON) that carries a weapon. I'd really like to see more gay folks carrying weapons.

Thanks again for making me feel welcome! :righton: