Gator Kills Woman in Georgia

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Link

Published on: 10/10/07

SAVANNAH — An alligator attack killed an elderly woman whose mauled body was found in a pond, according to an autopsy performed today.

A biologist for the Georgia Department of Natural Resources says it was the first time an alligator killed a person in Georgia since 1980.

Sgt. Mike Wilson, a spokesman for Savannah-Chatham County police, says the autopsy found that 83-year-old Gwen Williams died from blood loss from "wounds consistent with those of an alligator attack."

A couple riding in a golf cart Saturday spotted Williams' body, which was missing its left arm, right hand and right foot. Police determined she had been dead since Friday evening.

Williams was found in a pond about 500 feet from the home she was house-sitting for relatives on Skidaway Island in east Savannah. Wilson said she was from Canada, but he did not know which city.

Investigators estimate the alligator that attacked Williams was seven feet long, judging by the size of its bite. The DNR has sent a trapper to Skidaway Island to hunt for it.

Jim Simmons, a senior wildlife biologist for the Georgia DNR, says that before Williams' death, only eight known alligator attacks occurred in Georgia since 1980. Simmons says none of those were fatal.

2. Axeman

Axeman New Member

:ditto:

I remember watching some documentary about a whole bunch of attacks on San Abell (sp?) Island a while back.

The main gator was finally killed by someone who shot it, (LEO I think).

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I have heard of these in FL but man GA, didnt know they went up that far.

4. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

I see them all the time about arm length in size in the water around the park in Richmond Hill. Mostly on the trail going around the park, but I even saw one right off the bridge behind the Sheriffs office.

On Ft. Stewart in the training areas. I saw bigger ones all the time. They had nothing on those wild pigs that would charge us at night.

5. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Sucks for the ol' lady. :(

The Landings is teeming with alligators.

6. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Wonder if Urban Meyer will kick this one off the team....

Ooops, sorry - I heard "gator" and "kills woman" and thought the obvious.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I think you're thinking of Miami.

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Nah, Ray Ray stabs people.

The Gators were the ones who had the guy firing an "AK 47" in the dorms a few months back.