Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So far, only Ober Tram is the only properly posted location I have seen. Anyone know if this constitutes a proper sign in Tenn?

Dixie Stampede ticket booth

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
IANAL, but reading the statute I don't think it would be. Although it seems clear they don't want guns there, so theres a good chance someone might call it in and then you're at the mercy of the responding officer's knowledge of the law.

(1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or
both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily
used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon
possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average
person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in
any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is
prohibited.

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the
following:
AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY
OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.
(B) As used in this section, "language substantially similar to" means the sign contains language
plainly stating that:
(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;
(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the
property or building that is posted; and
(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.
(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in
accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including
all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building
where weapon possession is prohibited:
(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or
(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think so either, but it's been a few days since I read the law, and ever hurts to have a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Be aware that although either a gun buster or words that are "substantially similar" to the statute are considered legal signs, the TN AG has opined that you could be charged with a violation even if it is a sign like this. The TN GA made a specific way to ban guns, yet the AG (and potentially an arresting officer) may consider a simple "no weapons" sign to be sufficient. There have been no test cases yet; I suggest you conceal very well in these type of places.

The "prominent location" requirement is also debateble. I consider prominent to mean visible from the street, but others may take a different view. Some people think businesses may deliberately post improper signs to satisfy the antis without actually criminalizing the behavior of people like us, but who knows?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts