Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Gas prices way back then

7K views 90 replies 26 participants last post by  NTA 
#1 · (Edited)
according to the latest RockAuto newsletter, paraphrased:

Today's $2.50 gallon of gasoline equates to $0.34 per gallon in 1967 US dollars (Gas averaged $0.33 per gallon in 1967 in the US.)

I remember well paying 26.9 in Houston Tx for several years after 1966 - I had a favorite station, some miles out of the way.

You could pay $.36/gal and get an underhood check and a smiling guy to wipe the windshield.

When I finished college in 1970, my first job as an engineer paid $8K/year with no benefits. Bumped it 20x that by retirement time with great benefits.

#5 ·
LOL, Guys I remember pumping Texaco Fire Chief (regular) for 28.9 and Sky Chief for 32.9. Low Lead was just starting to come out and it was 30.9 a gallon. We would check the air in the tires, clean the front and rear windshield and do an under hood check while pumping your gas. Not that long ago as this was in the early 70's.

Reactions: 2ToeRacing
#7 ·
Shortly after high school (76) I got a job at a gas station myself. It was about 52 to 57 cents a gallon. Dayum, that was near forever ago. Just a bit more than a few years back.

Nemo

#8 ·
Come on, you just followed "not that long ago" with an era 45 years ago. :lol:

Yeah, I was driving then too. . . but only for a few years. Not that long ago.
Dad just turned 95, to hear him talk of filling the tank on his Model T for a dollar in the late 30's, the 70's were just a few years ago.:lol:

#15 ·
I ran a lot of .25 in my first ride (a 67 Mustang w/ a 289 and auto trans, I wish I'd kept it). We used to all chip in a quarter apiece for gas when my high school buds went on our delinquent adventures.

#16 ·
07 or 08 gas dropped so I paid 99.9 a gallon a time or 2 in Zephyrhills Fl.

Nemo

#17 ·
I was on the road a lot during the two gas shortages. I remember in 1979 the long lines in Houston to get gas, then went to small town east Texas once on a visit and saw the stations there had no lines, no customers, and assumed they were out of gas. Nope. Seems they had plenty and there was no panic or shortages there. I even spent the night in the car parked in a long line of others waiting for the only station to open in Refugio, (south)TX.

During my driving trips to and from TX to KY some stations would limit you to 10 gal max others had a 10 gal min. Cities like Little Rock, Arkansas would turn off all their streetlights, even on freeways at night to save energy. The 55mph limit was really painful then.

Those were strange times, the only high mileage cars were VW's back then and the dealers were sold out for a couple of years.

#18 ·
So, gasoline prices went below two dollars a gallon around the Atlanta area in the late spring and summer of 2020.
Of course Covid-19 lockdowns were in place and a lot fewer people were driving anywhere.

When Trump lost the November election to Joe Biden and caramel Harris, I think the gas prices were around $2.10 per gallon. (Cash price, for 87 octane fuel).

Now prices around me are about $2.35 / gal. they've gone up $.30 in the last four months, and 20 cents in the last week.

Attachments

#19 ·
So, gasoline prices went below two dollars a gallon around the Atlanta area in the late spring and summer of 2020.
Of course Covid-19 lockdowns were in place and a lot fewer people were driving anywhere.

When Trump lost the November election to Joe Biden and caramel Harris, I think the gas prices were around $2.10 per gallon. (Cash price, for 87 octane fuel).

Now prices around me are about $2.35 / gal. they've gone up $.30 in the last four months, and 20 cents in the last week.
Diesel was under 2 (1.50s at one station I pass for a few weeks) from at least may until November and in the month up to over 2.50

#20 ·
Font Gas Display device Signage Street sign

Twenty cents up in just a few days!

$2.55 / gallon now (?!)

#23 ·
Buccee is cheapest in Warner Robins, GA. $1.99 gal. 87 octane

#24 ·
gasbuddy.com

Works rather well but can be a real PITA if you use the phone version. I got a non-phone version of Firefox on mine specifically because of that.

Nemo

#25 ·
Two sixty nine today.
And that's at a gas station known for
the cheapest fuel prices!
Plant Font Gas Facade Sky

#27 ·
Up again.
$2.75 today.
Line Font Gas Paint Machine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.