Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
Ransom paid. My nickel says Biden sent the money.

Nemo

Colonial Pipeline Paid Hackers Nearly $5 Million in Ransom
William Turton, Michael Riley and Jennifer Jacobs
Thu, May 13, 2021, 10:47 AM·3 min read

(Bloomberg) -- Colonial Pipeline Co. paid nearly $5 million to Eastern European hackers on Friday, contradicting reports earlier this week that the company had no intention of paying an extortion fee to help restore the country’s largest fuel pipeline, according to two people familiar with the transaction.The company paid the hefty ransom in untraceable cryptocurrency within hours after the attack, underscoring the immense pressure faced by the Georgia-based operator to get gasoline and jet fuel flowing again to major cities along the Eastern Seaboard, those people said. A third person familar with the situation said U.S. government officials are aware that Colonial made the payment.Once they received the payment, the hackers provided the operator with a decrypting tool to restore its disabled computer network. The tool was so slow that the company continued using its own backups to help restore the system, one of the people familiar with the company’s efforts said.

A representative from Colonial declined to comment, as did a spokesperson for the National Security Council.

continued

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Reactions: 2ToeRacing

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The $ransom is the least of Colonial's problems. If they are shown to be negligent (based on current security standards) their shippers have some massive lawsuits on the way.

·
68,961 Posts
I am against government meddling with the free market. However, since they really think that they have to do something , I wish that at least they made it in the right direction. Mr. Kemp yesterday decided, among other things, to halt sales taxes on gas and prohibit price gauging :cool:
Prohibiting "price gouging" exacerbates the shortage by sending an artificially low price signal, increasing demand when the supply is constrained.

This is not "the right direction." It is the opposite of that, the wrong direction.

You would not see lines at the gas stations if the owners were permitted to set the prices in line with the supply and demand situation that they were facing. Those with 3/4 of a tank of gas would not be riding up to the station with extra five gallon gas cans if the price on the sign was $15.99 when they arrived.

I swear that the ignorance of American voters on basic economics (Economics 101, really) is going to sink this country.

This is one more piece of evidence that the Republican Party is just another big government party that believes in control with The Common Good as its priority. Just another collectivist movement, but most of you comfort yourselves with the notion that the Republicans are not as "collectivist" or big government or anti-liberty as the other major party, so you support them predictably no matter how far to the left the party shifts. Ah, what am I thinking, most of you support this stuff, too, or the Republican Party would not do it. You are big government supporters. It's not just the politicians and party leaders.

Reactions: NTA

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Prohibiting "price gouging" exacerbates the shortage by sending an artificially low price signal, increasing demand when the supply is constrained.

This is not "the right direction." It is the opposite of that, the wrong direction.

You would not see lines at the gas stations if the owners were permitted to set the prices in line with the supply and demand situation that they were facing. Those with 3/4 of a tank of gas would not be riding up to the station with extra five gallon gas cans if the price on the sign was $15.99 when they arrived.

I swear that the ignorance of American voters on basic economics (Economics 101, really) is going to sink this country.

This is one more piece of evidence that the Republican Party is just another big government party that believes in control with The Common Good as its priority. Just another collectivist movement, but most of you comfort yourselves with the notion that the Republicans are not as "collectivist" or big government or anti-liberty as the other major party, so you support them predictably no matter how far to the left the party shifts. Ah, what am I thinking, most of you support this stuff, too, or the Republican Party would not do it. You are big government supporters. It's not just the politicians and party leaders.
You feel better now? 😁

·
Registered
4,085 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
I saw a report (don't recall cite) that drive had just lit a cigarette as he left the station. I laughed when I read it.

Guess the old stupid is / does is applicable.

Nemo

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
"Fire rescue officials said the driver had just filled up four fuel containers at the gas station and stored them in the back of the Hummer".
Those damn extra five gallon gas cans ! 😎
View attachment 18406
Someone probably saw him doing it and suggested that he put scented candles around those gas cans to mask the smell of gasoline

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
Interesting event.
"The Darkside operator also reported that cryptocurrency funds were also withdrawn from the gang's payment server, which was hosting ransom payments made by victims," said Recorded Future.
I'm reading this one of two ways. A - The "gang" withdrew the funds themselves or B - "Someone else" withdrew the funds. I'm leaning to "B" thinking the payment made by Colonial was a ruse to attempt to trace back to the hackers and it appears to have worked. Or I could be all wrong. :LOL:

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Or I could be all wrong.
You are assuming the government is smart enough to pull that off. Only if biden was not involved. Anyway I agree with B.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
You are assuming the government is smart enough to pull that off. Only if biden was not involved. Anyway I agree with B.
I'm not necessarily assuming government at all.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
Of general interest.

Nemo

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
Interesting event.
"The Darkside operator also reported that cryptocurrency funds were also withdrawn from the gang's payment server, which was hosting ransom payments made by victims," said Recorded Future.
Looks like Colonial is getting a "refund" on their ransom payment.
"The Department of Justice has found and recaptured the majority of the ransom Colonial paid to the DarkSide network in the wake of last month’s ransomware attack," Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said in a press conference Monday afternoon. "Ransomware attacks are always unacceptable."

61 - 78 of 78 Posts