Gary Johnson's Position on Gun Control

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by GM404, Jun 14, 2016.

1. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

2. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR2afL0i94U[/ame]

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Since when do Libertarian values reflect "the mainstream?" Why is this guy even running on a Libertarian ticket as VP?

4. Malum Prohibitum

Libertarians generally support maximum personal freedom, but Weld side-steps some matters that excite the third-party faithful.

Should law-abiding Americans be allowed to carry weapons in churches, movie theaters and schools? “Not my issue, it may be a Gary issue,†he says. “It’s something that doesn’t play in the Northeast so it never crossed my desk.â€​
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...never-trump-already-has-a-presidential-ticket

"Not my issue?" What?

5. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Hey man, take it easy on him. Can't you tell by his super outdoorsy jacket that he's just too busy branding cattle and mending fence to be concerned with all these so called issues?

6. Taurus92

Double edge sword. Turning them into a cult figure is a problem, but not presenting the public with the facts is a bigger problem. Telling a lie to the public like it was because of a video is nothing but propaganda. He make a good point, but this is nothing like streakers.

7. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

It would have been cool if the LP had nominated, you know, actual Libertarians.

Politics is such BS but I can't not follow it. It's a sickness.

8. Malum Prohibitum

This year it looks like only the Democrats actually nominated a member of their own party who believes in the party's principles.

9. Taurus92

Exactly, a decent candidate could have been a major player this go round. Instead, they prove they are a fringe group with no solid platform. Very disappointing.

10. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I disagree. The Republican candidate seems to be in keeping with the party's legacy of promising anything to get the vote then promptly doing anything but what was promised all of 10 seconds later...

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Don't totally discount Trump.

He has been on a steep learning curve. He's a smart guy, and has the ego and temperament to not worry about political correctness.

If he has gotten good coaching on 2nd Amendment matters, I believe he will stick to his guns, and protect ours.

12. GrumpyGramps

GrumpyGramps New Member

I was born and lived in New Hampshire which the libertarians have targeted as their "Free State" with lots of encouragement for libertarian leaning people to move there in order to take control of the state. Unfortunately, there are more people moving in from neighboring Massachusetts and these people tend to be much more "progressive" and want government control of everything. Weld is a RINO who when governor of Mass was a supporter of many liberal policies, he is in the same vein as Romney who claimed he was a Republican, but proved that he was willing to go along with the Democrats in supporting more government and less liberty. I am completely surprised that Weld would even be involved in Libertarian party and I guess he is now a LINO (Libertarian in Name Only). I tend to go along with some of the general Libertarian philosophy, but think it is unrealistic to think that there can be no government- it just needs to be minimized especially at the national level and follow what was laid out in the Constitution, so I guess my position is that I'm a constitutionalist.
    Coming from New Hampshire, I found that a lot of the so called libertarians that were moving there we more interested in no drug laws rather the any of the other issues that Libertarians espouse. Don't think that there Free State movement is going anywhere as they are not appealing to the vast majority of New Hampshire voters especially from the liberals moving in from Mass and Conn. "Live Free or Die" is state motto, but "Free" is becoming less well defined.

13. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Voters focus on the top of the ticket. VP picks generally matter very little to voters, that is unless it is a remarkably bad choice such as Dan Quayle of Sarah Palin.

I just hope Johnson gets to 15% in the polls so he can get on the debate stage.

We'll see if the revelation that Clinton did discuss highly classified material on her private server, and Trump's new gun control position will help Johnson.

14. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I think this is a HUGE issue within the Libertarian party. It's the "go to" for friends of pot. I don't have an issue with this specific issue (pot)..but yes, many of the libertarian supporters (Weld being one apparently) are going a little too far left for me. Ultimately, I too would consider myself a constitutionalist but I don't think that will become a viable party anytime in my lifetime. Well, unless this country implodes (which I think it's on the fast track to do so) and we start over.

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I remember back to Ross Perot and truly believe he was motivated to get a democrat elected, doing everything in his power to keep Bush from winning. He dropped out during the Democratic convention giving his support to Bill Clinton and when Bush's poll numbers started to increase later in the race, he jumped back in to take away from that.

I still haven't figured Trump out. If he's sincere, if he's just an idiot or if he's just like Ross trying to help get Hilary elected. Some of the things that he says and does makes me wonder.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  16. wee

wee Active Member

I this is the only gun Gary is concerned with....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKl-ZETXj5Y[/ame]

Brian

17. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

18. GrumpyGramps

GrumpyGramps New Member

Perot was definitely the #NeverBush and he was successful in getting that done. However, the Republicans who are in the #NeverTrump group are just fools who can't admit to the reality of the situation and will get Hillary elected which is going to continue the decline of the country and the complete erosion of our rights. The two party system is so ingrained into the political psyche of the country that Trump may be the only hope to effect a change. Both elected Republicans and Democrat politicians are so invested in keeping the status quo so they can continue to suck off the public teat that nothing will change unless there is a major paradigm shift. They have learned well how to raise money to get elected and enrich themselves, but have lost all connection with what they are elected to do which is to uphold the Constitution. Those that do get elected that truly believe in doing what is right (ala Cruz and Tea Party types) are immediately shut down by the political elites that run the show. I think that Trump truly believes in what he says about “making America great again”, but he is frequently a little too brash and politically incorrect for many of the well-heeled voters of this country to take. I am supporting Trump because I think he is the last best hope to change the political system as he is not beholding to the politicians and all the consultants who support them.

19. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

My biggest issue with Johnson is that he likes open borders. The only big LP that didn't like open borders was Austin Peterson.

20. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

I find it pretty amusing that some establishment GOP are actually admitting now, in not so many words, that they would vote for Satan himself, as long as there is an 'R' next to his name. I've always thought that as a cliché, but now realize it is true.

I think the GOP is still going to attempt to deny Trump the nomination and when it happens, that will be the end of the GOP and its southern strategy.

It looks to me as if Obama stood there "obstructed" for the last 8 years, win after win rolling by, as the Republican party self-destructed.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016