Gandhi statue in gwinnett county park

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by AzB, Oct 5, 2019.

1. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Theres a protest gathering at Bryson park tomorrow to protest a brass bust of Gandhi being installed in a 150 fruit tree forest.

The big issues with this are:

The heads of the parks dept rammed this through with no public awareness and didn't allow the public in the meetings to address.

There are no statues in any of the 58 gwinnett parks. Not one. And Gandhi is fairly controversial politically and religiously, not to mention has nothing to do with georgia or the usa.

Racism. Yeah, apparently gandhi had some racist views about black Africans when he was young. Even though he renounced those views later and spoke against racism of any kind, the current atmosphere of this country is that any sort of racism (against protected classes anyway) is worse than treason.

What are your thoughts? I think I'm going to stop by the park tomorrow to see what kind of protest is going on. I'm curious.

2. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, there's a mosque right across the street from the entrance to the park. Gandhi was Hindu, of course, so I wonder if this was done intentionally by the Hindu population of Lilburn. Seems like more than a coincidence. They will be able to see the statue from the mosque.

3. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

So Lee et al has to go but Gandhi works just fine. Would say more but the Red Flag looms.

4. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Based Hindus.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If the County has recently honored other people with statues and busts and similar memorials, then they can do it for Mohandas Gandhi, too. If the county has NEVER honored any people with statues in parks, then don't start now. It's wasteful. Spend that money, and energy, on more important things, and things that more people will appreciate. Don't just throw a bone to the Hindus this week, and then the Muslims next month, and then the Wiccans and Satanists by the end of the year...

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Not allowing public input on this before spending taxpayer money is a scandal. Where is the AJC's investigation?

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Well, the Hindus do have a "slight" grievance against the followers of the religion of peace. :cantsay:

8. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    Looks like about 7 people showed up. I wonder if the "black lives matter" banner ran off anyone?

9. diamondback

diamondback Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. I was going to ask WTF does this have to do with the USA or Georgia.