Gallup Poll shows important pro-gun trends

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Minuteman, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman New Member

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw this. 68% oppose banning possession of a handgun, 30% favor a ban. Trend is substantially in favor of handgun possession.
    Is it possible that I have overestimated the number of morons in our country? Is it possible that I have underestimated the number of clear thinking, common sensible, Constitution comprehending, God given rights appreciators?
    Is it possible that the American people are waking up to the need to be prepared to defend themselves? Does this reflect, as John Lott has shown, the reason gun crime is on the decline? Is this why legal gun sales continue to increase?
    Methinks the answers to these questions is yes. Further, methinks the good guys are winning.
    One more question. Does this mean that 68% of the folks will vote for the GOP candidate?
    There is only one demo (Richardson) that is theoretically pro-gun while all the rest are distinctly anti-gun. All GOP candidates are theoretically pro-gun. Of course, Rudy and Mitt have had a pro-gun epiphanny since they started running.
    It would be a stretch to believe that but I can hope, can't I?
    Mike
    Scroll down and click on the link for the complete Gallup Report.

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=28978

2. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

I very much doubt that the pro-gun canidates will get 68% of the vote. Most voters are not single issue voters, at least not single issue (gun) voters, Inner city poor will still vote more for the party that promises to increase welfare programs. the Suburban soccer moms are going to vote for people who promise to make the children safer. ect. ect. ect.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

true, but then again politicians can no longer claim that the majority of Americans want stricter gun laws when pushing for any gun control expansions.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm sure they'll try to stretch the numbers or point out "flaws" in the polls. It won't be the first time and certainly won't be the last.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yeah, I can dream.

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Americans aren't all that stupid. We've had every manner of gun control laws forced down our collective throats over the past generation and they've accomplished nothing.

Very few Americans favor a complete ban. Even those that say they do are likely just saying it to sound PC.

Now, change the question to "Do you think people should be allowed to have assault rifles" and it gets skewed in the other direction. That's the real battleground right now and in the near future.

I don't think there will be a complete gun ban in my generation, or the next. It's anything over a 6 shot revolver and a bolt-action rifle being banned that I see as a reality.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's the problem. If the "typical" American thinks it's OK for this to be banned and that to be banned, then stuff will just be taken away a little bit at a time and people won't notice when everything is gone.

8. M249

M249 New Member

Mολὼν λαβέ

9. Wiley

Wiley Guest

I'm not so sure. On Power of 10 some weeks ago the question was 'What percentage of Americans think that machine guns should be legal to own'. (Yes, I know they are already legal.)

The answer was 41%.