Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an iPad like device (dont want an iPad) that will run Microsoft Office (namely word and access) and also be able to view PDFs. I don't need it to be from a cell phone provider (as long as it has wireless networking). Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I haven't seen any of the windows based tablets in actions so I can only name names for you....

ASUS I believe calls their's the Slate, as does HP, there is another called the 2go and I believe that
Dell has one either in production or close to...

I have been told that Viewsonic also produces one and it sux... but that's hearsay....

One of the problems is going to be space... Windows and Office are both space hogs so
the tablet is going to have to have at least a Solid State drive... which, while power efficient,
is going to be expensive.....!

Sorry I can't provide any real useful info :(

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Don't know off hand that there are any tablets out there (other than a laptop that can turn into a tablet by flipping the screen over) that actually runs Word or any other Office program. Your best, and cheapest option, would be one of the currently available tablets in conjunction with a service like Dropbox, Google Docs, or something along those lines. There are other applications out there that allow for document editing too, just depends on the platform (iOS, Android, etc). For a true tablet, about the cheapest you can get right now is actually a Barnes and Noble Nook Color. Once rooted, its an Android tablet. And for $250, its definitely the cheapest option currently.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I know you don't want an iPad, but maybe give it another look as it does have productivity software available (granted it's the Apple versions) and Google Docs works fairly well on it. I even found an app that let's me FTP into and edit websites right on the device (with syntax highlighting). I managed to use just an iPad on a 4 day trip recently and I'm a web developer/server admin. I used it for SSH into our server, editing a couple of websites in PHP, and drafting an agreement in Google Docs. The bluetooth keyboard helps a lot as well. Running Access would be the one thing you might run into a problem with, but there may be some sort of solution out there.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I'm waiting on my Notion Ink "Adam" to show up. It's android based, but it is supposed to have QuickOffice which should offer the productivity you want.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,988 Posts
Have you looked at the Samsung 'Galaxy Tab'? It's basically a big version of my Samsung 'Captivate' Android phone, minus call capabilities. The 'Captivate' will run Quick Office.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Yeah, I should have mentioned in my previous post that Quick Office is avail for any Android based system.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adam5 said:
Have you looked at the Samsung 'Galaxy Tab'? It's basically a big version of my Samsung 'Captivate' Android phone, minus call capabilities. The 'Captivate' will run Quick Office.
I'm on my FIFTH Captivate.....needless to say, I'm not impressed with Samsung. :(

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,988 Posts
rankhornjp said:
Adam5 said:
I'm on my FIFTH Captivate.....needless to say, I'm not impressed with Samsung. :(
I'm on my second, but it's my fault.

I was heading downstairs one morning with my hands full, and put my holstered j-frame in my back pocket with the Captivate. I forgot to take it out before sitting down. :oops:

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Unless there is a specific reason that you don't want an iPad, you may want to reconsider. I view and edit MS Office documents on mine all of the using apps like 'Docs to Go' (far cheaper than MS Office). And I switch between by desktop work in Windows and my "sofa" work with the iPad (I'm writing this posting with it now) pretty effortlessly. The iPad performance benchmarks are pretty compelling compared to the other tablets out there to (although there will always be some new king of the hill on any given day of the week). The $500 price point is pretty hard to beat as well. Consider stopping by an Apple store for a real world demo if you haven't already - that's the best way to know if it is suitable for your needs.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RedDawnTheMusical said:
Unless there is a specific reason that you don't want an iPad, you may want to reconsider. I view and edit MS Office documents on mine all of the using apps like 'Docs to Go' (far cheaper than MS Office). And I switch between by desktop work in Windows and my "sofa" work with the iPad (I'm writing this posting with it now) pretty effortlessly. The iPad performance benchmarks are pretty compelling compared to the other tablets out there to (although there will always be some new king of the hill on any given day of the week). The $500 price point is pretty hard to beat as well. Consider stopping by an Apple store for a real world demo if you haven't already - that's the best way to know if it is suitable for your needs.
Can it run Access? I have to have one that will, cause that is what our database at work is on.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
rankhornjp said:
RedDawnTheMusical said:
Can it run Access? I have to have one that will, cause that is what our database at work is on.
There are pretty good remote desktop apps for the iPad (and Android as well) that let you run another computer (work, home, etc) from the device. You just have to setup the server application on the desktop (usually just a download and installation) and then download the client app on the tablet and you can use that computer from the tablet.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
no apps for iOS to run MS access that i know of. But as others said, you can RDP into another machine.

Personally, I was never impressed with any of the PC tablets that came out. They never took off and there are reasons for that...

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I use "Jump" for my iPad RDP client and it works really well. With that said, using Access via a tablet screen could be very difficult depending on what you're looking to do. Working withblarge tables or spreadsheets can be difficult as the tablet interface could be a hindrance (small screen, inability total from one field to another, etc.). I choir workmin Access is mostly forms, reports, etc., then it may nrot be as bad.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
RedDawnTheMusical said:
I use "Jump" for my iPad RDP client and it works really well. With that said, using Access via a tablet screen could be very difficult depending on what you're looking to do. Working withblarge tables or spreadsheets can be difficult as the tablet interface could be a hindrance (small screen, inability total from one field to another, etc.). I choir workmin Access is mostly forms, reports, etc., then it may nrot be as bad.
Not to mention if you are using some custom forms or front end interfaces that make use of hover. IMO a good UI design won't use hover states in a primary role, but not everything is built with good UI design in mind.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have a Nook and it has quickoffice. It's inexpensive, wifi only and runs well. If you root it ( not difficult) you can run just about any Android app.

My wife has an iPad. I hate Apple stuff, but it works fine. It's a lot bigger than the Nook. I can fit the Nook into a back or cargo pocket. Lots easier to travel with the Nook.

Az

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, based off what I'm reading....It would be better to just get a smaller notebook. I don't have wifi access where I use this the most so Remote acces would not work.

Any opions on the Inspirion Duo from Dell?

·
Senior Mumbler
6,671 Posts
rankhornjp said:
RedDawnTheMusical said:
You want something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo/13400032

Netbook touch tablets. You can flip the screen over and back against the keyboard to make it into a tablet. Most are Windows machines (anything from XP to Win7).

For internet without being near wifi you would probably have to get one of the cell usb sticks too.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AzB said:
I have a Nook and it has quickoffice. It's inexpensive, wifi only and runs well. If you root it ( not difficult) you can run just about any Android app.

My wife has an iPad. I hate Apple stuff, but it works fine. It's a lot bigger than the Nook. I can fit the Nook into a back or cargo pocket. Lots easier to travel with the Nook.

Az
I just rooted my Novel e reader. Im typing on it now. Itwas really easy, now i just have to figure out how to get themarket on it..

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts