Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or need to be dismissed. Below is a recent email briefing on current legislation progressing in Virginia from the VCDL. Info regarding that underlined (by me) below.

It follows a summary of my thoughts on what happened at the Lobby Day, 16 Jan 17, worded to VCLD members. Read that part or not. If interested in the local newspaper coverage links I can put that up also, please advise.

Went to the Lobby Day at the state legislature today. In the building carry was permitted and I would guess 250 or so VCDL .org folks were there meeting with the elected reps.

When I entered the building, through the "permit and armed" door a Capitol Police officer asked if I was armed and where it was. Advised I was, on my right hip (S&W 5906 in a pancake) and showed him. He asked for anything else and I advised him-- spare magazine, multi-tool and flashlight on belt on left hip. He lost interest before I got to what I had in my pockets or on the chain around my neck.

He waved the wand around me some and I never heard a beep. It must have needed switched on or a better battery.

Anyway, met with half a dozen or so state Senators and Delegates. Seemed quite educational on both sides. One rep commented the did not know much about guns but had done some skeet type shooting on occasion. There was about 10 from our group right there and so I advised him probably anyone from our group there at that moment would be willing to meet with him, provide weapon and ammo, range time and space and educate him and answer any questions he had that they felt confident answering. Seemed to surprise him and he seemed receptive to that idea.

Met several who were in the running for Gov, Lt Gov and AG. We have some good solid candidates out there. This could be a banner year/election this fall. Make plans to get involved.

Anyway, I learned much and plan on doing this for the foreseeable future. Beside that a good time was had by me. If you live in Va and were not there, you missed out.

Nemo

VA-ALERT: Great day for gun owners in the Senate! 1/18/17
VCDL President <[email protected]>

Yesterday, 11:18 PMYou ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a Virginia Citizens Defense League member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join-VCDL
----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's calendar: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html
VA-ALERT archives: http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/=now

1. Gun bills voted on in the Senate Courts of Justice committee
2. Coverage of Lobby Day in the media

1. Gun bills voted on in the Senate Courts of Justice committee

Your emails helped get the following BAD gun bills KILLED today:

SB 809, Favola, requires lost/stolen gun to be reported within 24 hours. This punishes the victim of a theft and not the criminal

SB 1112, Edwards, severely damages firearms preemption, allowing for patchwork of localities who can ban guns at government meetings. A solution in search of a problem

SB 1185, Dance, requires lost/stolen gun to be reported within 24 hours. This punishes the victim of a theft and not the criminal

SB 1194, Lucas, Universal Background Check bill, will not lower crime rates, raises the cost of a firearm, and creates a gun registration system

SB 1266, Ebbin, makes the state, and not parents, arbiters of when a child is old enough to be allowed to shoot a firearm or a pneumatic gun

SB 1267, Ebbin, takes away the right of a person openly carrying a firearm to have a drink with dinner and adds another penalty for being intoxicated in public. A solution in search of a problem

SB 1439, Surovell, Universal Background Check bill, will not lower crime rates, raises the cost of a firearm, and creates a gun registration system

SB 1443, Barker, a sweeping gun confiscation scheme based on a "probable cause" standard. Takes away a civil right without due process

-

The following BAD gun bill was FIXED to be acceptable to VCDL and PASSED out of committee:

SB 1049, Edwards, clean up bill with a bad provision on requiring a change of address for the machine gun registration database

-

BAD gun bills PASSED out of committee: NONE

-

The following GOOD gun bills were PASSED out of committee:

SB 791, Chase, reduces CHP fees by allowing the Circuit Court Clerk to reduce the normal $10 fee

SB 1297, Vogel, allows an active duty member of the armed forces to get a CHP if they are 18-years-old or older. Also fixes a problem with Georgia honoring Virginia CHPs. Rolled into SB 1362

SB 1299, Vogel, makes a protection order into a CHP for 45 days. It is a CHP for 90 days if the victim applies for a permanent CHP. The provides important and immediate protections for victims of violence

SB 1300, Vogel, provides firearms training to speed up the acquisition of a permanent concealed handgun permit for someone with a protection order

SB 1362, Black, allows an active duty member of the armed forces to get a CHP if they are 18-years-old or older. Also fixes a problem with Georgia honoring Virginia CHPs

SB 1440, Black, Constitutional Carry, keeps CHP system, but allows those who can legally own a handgun to be able to carry it concealed without a permit. 11 states already have such a system and the number is growing

SB 1444, Chafin, updates Virginia code for ammunition made using modern technology. Some ammunition is incorrectly categorized as "armor piercing" under the current law

-

The following GOOD gun bill was KILLED:

SB 1422, Chase, reduces CHP fee to $5

·
American
3,289 Posts
Sounds like a weird, but productive, day. Congratulations.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yikes! SB1266 was actually up for real consideration? I shudder to think what the "people that know better" would think about what I was subjected to as a child. I'm not sure I had a day in my childhood when I was home during the winter and summer (probably most other days as well) that I didn't have my BB gun with me. And then came the actual .22, .410, etc. Oh the humanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Somehow neither I or anyone who was around me died. Dragonflies and starlings were fair game.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Hb 1582

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I am not sure of his reference either.

Nemo

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Jeff, please don't keep us in suspense. :)

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good link MP! Another bill regarding that was filed but not referenced in the note I got. Either way, there is a matching Senate bill so I am confident this will get out of the Legislature this year and back to the Gov's desk. From there ????

Repubs do not have enough to override if its vetoed but we do have elections this fall.

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Passed both state houses and its on to the Governor. Watch the news over the next few days. McAuliffe could sign or veto. I would go about 6 to 5 he vetos. I would not be surprised either way.

Nemo

HB 1582, Delegate Jeffrey Campbell, allows active duty or honorably discharged military members who are over 18 and under 21 years old to apply for a CHP. This would also fix the issue with Georgia not honoring our CHPs.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was right. Gov Vetoed. A few calls from some Georgia gents could help this get through on an override vote. See info below. Might take a bit of google fu to find a democratic senator to call about it. See below for details and I will try to get some more info regarding specifics on who to call.

Nemo

This is part of a note I received from the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

Governor McAuliffe just vetoed HB 1582, Delegate Campbell's bill to allow active duty and honorably discharged military members who are over 18 and under 21 to apply for a concealed handgun permit.

The Governor has never been a fan of gun owners and is now also showing an anti-military position to boot.

HB 1582 passed the House by a whopping 79 to 18 vote! THAT IS VETO PROOF as long as the Democrats (and Republicans) stand their ground on this bill.

The House will get the first chance to override the veto. If that succeeds, then the Senate will have its chance to do the same.

Unfortunately, the bill only passed the Senate by a 24 to 15 vote, with one Republican not voting (Senator Wagner). Assuming that he votes correctly when he gets a chance, the vote would be 25 to 15, only two votes shy of a veto override.

HOWEVER, there are several Senate Democrats who voted against HB 1582 who also represent large military areas. They may well change their vote under pressure.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Of course DEMOCRAT (the party that hates the U.S. military) Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe vetoed HB 1582.

Those 18 to 21 year old military soldiers should not be allowed to legally carry guns in p-p-public! They're just kids! Think of the children! :panic:

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Working on getting the veto override set up. I been busy today.

Nemo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.