Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gbi-georgia-tech-student-killed-by-police-had-knife/610552468

Schultz was a leader in the LGBT pride community on campus wasknown as "Scout." They served as the president of the Pride Alliance on Georgia Tech's campus. Schultz's profile on the Pride Alliance website states "I'm bisexual, non-binary and intersex," adding "they" and "their" as the appropriate pronouns to address Schultz instead of "he" or "she." The profile also states Schultz enjoyed playing the role-playing game "Dungeons and Dragons" and is politically active.
Channel 2 Action News was at the scene when the knife Schultz was suspected of holding was still on the ground.
It appeared to be a metal, flip-open, multitool knife that would likely include a small blade.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Kill shot:

https://vimeo.com/234171972

Only criticism I can think of is why no Tazer deployment? Other than that, it looks like a legit shoot.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Kill shot:

Only criticism I can think of is why no Tazer deployment? Other than that, it looks like a legit shoot.
My question too, considering everything I read in the report and saw in the video. Especially since there was time enough to "order him a dozen times to drop the knife". But none of us know all of the facts. Especially when presented to us by Cox Enterprises.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Probably yet more shoddy reporting. Stun guns are not tazers, and vice versa. Tazers can be deployed at distance. Stun require pretty much direct physical contact. Why in the world would GT police not carry tazers? That seems quite stupid to me.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Look, if you watch the video, you can clearly and distinctly hear the guy yelling "shoot me!"

So, what's the issue? He got what he wanted.

Nothing to see here, folks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am sitting here thinking, "was it necessary to shoot someone who was what, 20' (?) away, who was not running toward the cop, when several cops already had their guns drawn and aimed (probably) at the person?" From what I can see, no cop had his/her life in immediate danger.

In my opinion, a tazer should be the first choice in this particular situation. Apparently that was not available then. But pepper spray was, and I think that would have been a viable option, and would have accomplished what needed to be done.

I know the laws for a good shoot are vastly different for a cop than a civilian, but are they really that different?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
here's a very simple rule: if you don't want to get shot, then don't run around waving a knife at cops and yelling "shoot me!".

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I am sitting here thinking, "was it necessary to shoot someone who was what, 20' (?) away, who was not running toward the cop, when several cops already had their guns drawn and aimed (probably) at the person?" From what I can see, no cop had his/her life in immediate danger.

In my opinion, a tazer should be the first choice in this particular situation. Apparently that was not available then. But pepper spray was, and I think that would have been a viable option, and would have accomplished what needed to be done.

I know the laws for a good shoot are vastly different for a cop than a civilian, but are they really that different?
They were responding to a report that he had a knife and a gun.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Mistake #1, naming your kid "Scout".

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
69,784 Posts
What about pepper spray?
I seriously hope that question is a joke. It not, then I will answer it, but, well, it's a joke, right?

Anyway, that sure was some terrified screaming from the shot man at the moment when he hit the concrete and reality set in to interrupt his delusional fantasy world.
If you have a knife and start walking toward me in a threatening manner you will be lucky to get even one warning before I put a bullet through some part of your body. I do not see why I should hold a police officer to a different, higher standard.

By the way, it was a closer than 20 feet, unless the persons in the video are at least ten feet tall, but my response to you does not depend upon that at all.

I am not taking the chance that you are just that much faster than me.

You, on the other hand, are taking the chance that in your delusional fantasy world you can get attention by threatening an armed man with a gun. Forgive me if I inject a little reality intrusion into that make believe world.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I seriously hope that question is a joke. It not, then I will answer it, but, well, it's a joke, right?

Anyway, that sure was some terrified screaming from the shot man at the moment when he hit the concrete and reality set in to interrupt his delusional fantasy world.

If you have a knife and start walking toward me in a threatening manner you will be lucky to get even one warning before I put a bullet through some part of your body. I do not see why I should hold a police officer to a different, higher standard.

By the way, it was a closer than 20 feet, unless the persons in the video are at least ten feet tall, but my response to you does not depend upon that at all.

I am not taking the chance that you are just that much faster than me.

You, on the other hand, are taking the chance that in your delusional fantasy world you can get attention by threatening an armed man with a gun. Forgive me if I inject a little reality intrusion into that make believe world.
This x1000. Not only to mention, I don't think that there are ANY LEO departments that train to use a Taser (or other less-than-lethal weapon) when deadly force is called for...and in the case then a person has a KNIFE, that warrants deadly force.

I will also mention that the news has made a comment about the multi-tool having a "small blade". I can attest that my Gerber has a serrated knife that would cut through a carotid artery in less than a second.

On a side note, did anyone see the post (I think the screen shot I saw was on WSB) from the XWG&*87a Alliance? They referred to the...uh...dude...chick...whatever as "they"? I don't have words to describe what is happening to our society.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts