Ga Tech student with knife gets shot

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by HCountyGuy, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I can't help but wonder if that wasn't "suicide by cop".

I bet there is more to the story than it appears (as always).

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

[​IMG]

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gbi-georgia-tech-student-killed-by-police-had-knife/610552468

3. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Kill shot:

[ame]https://vimeo.com/234171972[/ame]

Only criticism I can think of is why no Tazer deployment? Other than that, it looks like a legit shoot.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. Glockenator

My question too, considering everything I read in the report and saw in the video. Especially since there was time enough to "order him a dozen times to drop the knife". But none of us know all of the facts. Especially when presented to us by Cox Enterprises.

5. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

6. Glockenator

Probably yet more shoddy reporting. Stun guns are not tazers, and vice versa. Tazers can be deployed at distance. Stun require pretty much direct physical contact. Why in the world would GT police not carry tazers? That seems quite stupid to me.

7. Mrs_Esterhouse

8. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

Look, if you watch the video, you can clearly and distinctly hear the guy yelling "shoot me!"

So, what's the issue? He got what he wanted.

Nothing to see here, folks.

9. Glockenator

I am sitting here thinking, "was it necessary to shoot someone who was what, 20' (?) away, who was not running toward the cop, when several cops already had their guns drawn and aimed (probably) at the person?" From what I can see, no cop had his/her life in immediate danger.

In my opinion, a tazer should be the first choice in this particular situation. Apparently that was not available then. But pepper spray was, and I think that would have been a viable option, and would have accomplished what needed to be done.

I know the laws for a good shoot are vastly different for a cop than a civilian, but are they really that different?

10. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

here's a very simple rule: if you don't want to get shot, then don't run around waving a knife at cops and yelling "shoot me!".

11. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

They were responding to a report that he had a knife and a gun.

12. Glockenator

Oh - I never noticed any mention of a gun (reported or real).

13. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I noticed.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/17/us/georgia-tech-student-killed/index.html

14. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mistake #1, naming your kid "Scout".

15. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

His name was Scott, Scout was apparently a nickname.

16. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I seriously hope that question is a joke. It not, then I will answer it, but, well, it's a joke, right?

Anyway, that sure was some terrified screaming from the shot man at the moment when he hit the concrete and reality set in to interrupt his delusional fantasy world.
    If you have a knife and start walking toward me in a threatening manner you will be lucky to get even one warning before I put a bullet through some part of your body. I do not see why I should hold a police officer to a different, higher standard.

By the way, it was a closer than 20 feet, unless the persons in the video are at least ten feet tall, but my response to you does not depend upon that at all.

I am not taking the chance that you are just that much faster than me.

You, on the other hand, are taking the chance that in your delusional fantasy world you can get attention by threatening an armed man with a gun. Forgive me if I inject a little reality intrusion into that make believe world.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  18. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

This x1000. Not only to mention, I don't think that there are ANY LEO departments that train to use a Taser (or other less-than-lethal weapon) when deadly force is called for...and in the case then a person has a KNIFE, that warrants deadly force.

I will also mention that the news has made a comment about the multi-tool having a "small blade". I can attest that my Gerber has a serrated knife that would cut through a carotid artery in less than a second.

On a side note, did anyone see the post (I think the screen shot I saw was on WSB) from the XWG&*87a Alliance? They referred to the...uh...dude...chick...whatever as "they"? I don't have words to describe what is happening to our society.