Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the GA Tech orientation for all incoming transfer students there was a safety presentation given by the Tech Police. At the end of it the officer addressing us said that if we would like to know what methods of protection we are allowed to have on campus, we should read SB 308 because they did not have time for her to go through all the details.
I hope the whole dept. is aware of 308 and not just her, because she looked like she was about 8 1/2 months pregnant and mentioned she'd be leaving office soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
crags said:
At the GA Tech orientation for all incoming transfer students there was a safety presentation given by the Tech Police. At the end of it the officer addressing us said that if we would like to know what methods of protection we are allowed to have on campus, we should read SB 308 because they did not have time for her to go through all the details.
I hope the whole dept. is aware of 308 and not just her, because she looked like she was about 8 1/2 months pregnant and mentioned she'd be leaving office soon.
Boy, the list of methods is so huge that it would take an infinite amount of time to recite them all........... oh ...... shoot ..... You aren't allowed any methods of protection ..... Oops.

How friggin' insulting! Tech Police are the ones opposing students protecting themselves.

You might want to check out this article. The Tech president doesn't think much of the students either.

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2010/01/20/georgia-tech-president-no-guns-on-campus/

or this position statement ... oh by the way, Alina is a Canadian lecturing Americans about our Consitution.

http://www.facultygovernance.gatech.edu/GFGFAAS2010-021610-M-Attach4b.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they oppose any form of protection and I disagree with that completely. I just noticed that this particular officer did not spin it that way and demonstrated that she was aware of SB308. We may have next to no rights on campus, but maybe some students will read it and learn about what they can carry off campus or while in their vehicles.
 

·
Senior Mumbler
Joined
·
6,434 Posts
crags said:
I know they oppose any form of protection and I disagree with that completely. I just noticed that this particular officer did not spin it that way and demonstrated that she was aware of SB308. We may have next to no rights on campus, but maybe some students will read it and learn about what they can carry off campus or while in their vehicles.
And a few may discover that they fit one of the exemptions that would allow them to carry on campus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
MesaCranker said:
Concealed means concealed. :wink:
worth losing your gun rights forever, getting arrested, going to jail on the off chance you get caught? I think we all should be allowed to carry on campus but breaking the law isnt the right way to go about it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
patrick4588 said:
MesaCranker said:
Concealed means concealed. :wink:
worth losing your gun rights forever, getting arrested, going to jail on the off chance you get caught? I think we all should be allowed to carry on campus but breaking the law isnt the right way to go about it.
You only lose your rights for 5 years, with a GFL, I thought? Not that I'm in any way advocating it. I wouldn't do it, just sayin' the stakes are lower than one might imagine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
patrick4588 said:
MesaCranker said:
Concealed means concealed. :wink:
worth losing your gun rights forever, getting arrested, going to jail on the off chance you get caught? I think we all should be allowed to carry on campus but breaking the law isnt the right way to go about it.
Or you die like Dr. Hupp's parents did?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Mike From Philly 3 said:
or this position statement ... oh by the way, Alina is a Canadian lecturing Americans about our Consitution.

http://www.facultygovernance.gatech.edu/GFGFAAS2010-021610-M-Attach4b.pdf
Gun theft risks â€" Guns stolen from homes and cars fuel crime. College dorm rooms would
be an even easier target for gun thieves.
so wait, they are saying that their dorm rooms are easier to break into than a car??? and yet they are so safe, that no one would need a gun there for their own protection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
MesaCranker said:
Concealed means concealed. :wink:
Ehh this topic had to be the worst place to use that. You're ideas could EASILY paint permit holders in a darker picture. At this point the LAST thing we need is a GFL Holder to get arrested ON CAMPUS for carrying a concealed weapon. Do you not realize that would go main stream in a split second? Right now our position is we're LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. Not just when we want to be.
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,804 Posts
TippinTaco said:
MesaCranker said:
Concealed means concealed. :wink:
Ehh this topic had to be the worst place to use that. You're ideas could EASILY paint permit holders in a darker picture. At this point the LAST thing we need is a GFL Holder to get arrested ON CAMPUS for carrying a concealed weapon. Do you not realize that would go main stream in a split second? Right now our position is we're LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. Not just when we want to be.
+1

Illegal means illegal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Adam5 said:
TippinTaco said:
MesaCranker said:
Concealed means concealed. :wink:
Ehh this topic had to be the worst place to use that. You're ideas could EASILY paint permit holders in a darker picture. At this point the LAST thing we need is a GFL Holder to get arrested ON CAMPUS for carrying a concealed weapon. Do you not realize that would go main stream in a split second? Right now our position is we're LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. Not just when we want to be.
+1

Illegal means illegal.
Life means life. Death means death. Constitiution means Constitution. Is means is.
 

·
Fattus Patrickus
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
patrick4588 said:
MesaCranker said:
Concealed means concealed. :wink:
worth losing your gun rights forever, getting arrested, going to jail on the off chance you get caught? I think we all should be allowed to carry on campus but breaking the law isnt the right way to go about it.
Don't worry about it Patrick. I sincerely doubt that anyone advocating illegally carrying a gun on campus would stand up and be the test case, so their opinion means less than nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Aren't violations of 127.1 a misdemeanor if you have a license? So you are not risking losing your gun rights if you carry on campus.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
NullMatrix said:
Aren't violations of 127.1 a misdemeanor if you have a license? So you are not risking losing your gun rights if you carry on campus.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating that.
I believe it's correct that you'd be charged with a misdemeanor, but you'd likely lose your GWL for five years. JMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
CountryGun said:
NullMatrix said:
Aren't violations of 127.1 a misdemeanor if you have a license? So you are not risking losing your gun rights if you carry on campus.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating that.
I believe it's correct that you'd be charged with a misdemeanor, but you'd likely lose your GWL for five years. JMHO
Maybe sometimes pro-gunners in the legislature "wink" at you through legislation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Maybe sometimes pro-gunners in the legislature "wink" at you through legislation?
Translation?................for an :eek:ldtimer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
CountryGun said:
I believe it's correct that you'd be charged with a misdemeanor, but you'd likely lose your GWL for five years. JMHO
I also thought that violations of 127.1 do not count as violations of 127, and don't result in an automatic GWL revocation. Though a probate judge might decide to revoke it anyway, perhaps on "moral character" grounds.

There was a good thread on this a while back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
Mike From Philly 3 said:
crags said:
At the GA Tech orientation for all incoming transfer students there was a safety presentation given by the Tech Police. At the end of it the officer addressing us said that if we would like to know what methods of protection we are allowed to have on campus, we should read SB 308 because they did not have time for her to go through all the details.
I hope the whole dept. is aware of 308 and not just her, because she looked like she was about 8 1/2 months pregnant and mentioned she'd be leaving office soon.
Boy, the list of methods is so huge that it would take an infinite amount of time to recite them all........... oh ...... shoot ..... You aren't allowed any methods of protection ..... Oops.

How friggin' insulting! Tech Police are the ones opposing students protecting themselves.

You might want to check out this article. The Tech president doesn't think much of the students either.

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2010/01/20/georgia-tech-president-no-guns-on-campus/

or this position statement ... oh by the way, Alina is a Canadian lecturing Americans about our Consitution.

http://www.facultygovernance.gatech.edu/GFGFAAS2010-021610-M-Attach4b.pdf
That Atlanta Journal-Constitution is rife with "straw man arguments". On top of that, I saw this statement: "As an engineer, Peterson understands probability and noted that there was a very tiny probability of such a deadly incident ever happening". What?!?! Has this guy ever walked around that area of Atlanta? Is he aware of robberies, and the like, that have occurred against students at Georgia Tech?

Allowing students to carry firearms is not just about stopping the next mass shooting. It is also about giving these adults the means to protect themselves at all times, including when they are traveling to and from class and/or going about their other daily activities.

I am so tired of the one-sided, liberal views that are expounded on college/university campuses around the State of Georgia, and around our great country. I would like to see some college/university presidents come out and say, "Hell yes! We want our law-abiding students armed, if they wish to be. As a matter of fact, here is a small refund on your over-priced tuition, go purchase a firearm."

Oh, and the hits keep on coming:

"To those who would point to the spate of armed robberies of Tech students, Peterson said guns weren’t the solution. More alert students were."
and:
The victims have largely been male students because females are aware of the risks in walking along at night and don’t do it, he said. “But the young men feel invincible, which is why we send 18-year-olds off to war,†Peterson said. “I am not trying to blame the victims but they aren’t being smart.â€
You certain are blaming the victim. One of the main reasons these "males" become victims is because the criminals around the Georgia Tech campus know that almost all people coming out of the campus will be unarmed. If these pieces of trash were unsure of whether or not students were armed, if we, as GWL holders could carry, legally, on college/university campuses, many of these criminals would rethink robbing students. Alert victims are still victims.

Alina Staskevicius, Georgia Tech’s student body president, warned that allowing guns onto college campuses could pose a risk to vulnerable students struggling with new relationships and overwhelming new atmospheres.

“It’s like throwing gasoline onto the already volatile atmosphere of a college campus,†she said. “The risk of an explosion is too high.â€
That does not occur in the real world, outside of the false, little bubble call college? I have failed to see one legitimate reason for disarming students. I only see a continual line of liberal FUD(fear, uncertainty and doubt).
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top