GA. Supreme Court Justice Robert Benham announces retirement on March1 - Kemp can appoint successor.

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by tmoore912, Dec 6, 2019.

1. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

I'm placing this here because GCO's litigation often ends up in front of the Ga. Supreme Court.
    https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/t...SHQbsfSN2O/amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

"We do not know why Benham has pushed up his departure. But by stepping down on March 1, he gives Governor Kemp the chance to appoint his successor. And that pushes the election for that seat to 2022.

According to state law, if a judicial appointment made six months before an election, the new incumbent is given a chance to get on his/her feet before facing voters in the next election cycle."

2. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

The timing tells the story. He is handing Kemp a chance to appoint a successor. There is literally no other reason to resign this close to an election. I suspect he disagrees with ALL the candidates and does not want any of them to replace him. I hope Kemp chooses this seat's new occupant better than he did for Isakson's replacement.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Let's get a chant going:
    (doing this phoenetically)

Just-us Stone!

Just-us Stone!

JUST US STONE!!!

(And, let's take up a collection for campaign donations for Bryan Kemp and let's all put "Ed Stone for supreme court justice" on the memorandum line of our chex.)

4. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Work on your chant

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I see where my US rep is also stepping down.

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Lets GO MOE!!

Lets GO MOE!!!!

LETS GO MOE!!!!!!!!

Nemo

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

No, thanks. I'd like to hang on to whatever sanity I have left! :mrgreen:

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I would go for it if I wasn't so old.

9. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

So you are putting yourself ahead of like minded Americans?

Nemo

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Maybe Kemp will appoint Kelly Loeffler's billionare husband to this seat on the Court? Lack of qualifications, education, training, or experience for the job doesn't seem to matter to Brian Kemp. So Jeff Spreact's gonna be able to write a check and buy himself a job on the supreme court.