GA state representative

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Boy Racer, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Where do I find the yearly salary of a State of Georgia representative? Is it one of those jobs that you need to be independently wealthy to have, or could it be your stand alone vocation?

2. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

According to this site, Georgia Legislators make $17,240 per year and $173 per day when in session

3. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

if you go to the ga state auditors website you can look up any state employee's salary... from partime students to university presidents... all you need is their name

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

*searches "GlockGirl"* :p

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That's more than snake!

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I know they get paid less than $20K a yea BUT they are only in session the first quarter of the year. Senators make the same pay.

You have to be pretty wealthy to be one. How many people can take three or four months a year off without getting fired? Also, gov't workers cannot be elected to these positions.

This is why the legislature is dominated by laywers, sucessful business people, and probably retired people.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Not to mention the money involved getting elected in the first place. Another sign that wealth is a pseudo requirement.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

It only costs about $50K last I heard to win a seat in the General Assemby. A good politician will pay very little of his own money to do this.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I know salaried people doing it.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

We had a rep Marable when I was in high school who was a teacher when they were not in session. I mean public city school teacher. Had a sub when in session, and when not in session he was teaching. I didn't have him as a teacher, but had a class just across the hall. He served several terms.

11. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

My old company, a major oil firm, would give you time off WITH pay to serve, just like jury duty or military service. Big oil tries very hard to be a good citizen.

My current employer, a major telecom company, not only won't give me time off to serve but the ethics department won't allow me to take political contributions. :roll: They'd rather pay a lobbyist to communicate their positions versus allowing an employee serve his community and industry knowledge.

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Would this still be legal for a public school teacher to do this?