GA PEACE OFFICER STANDARDS AND TRAINING COUNCIL Non-compliant

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Warlock06, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Warlock06

Warlock06 Concerned American

On May 8, 2017, Governor Deal signed HB 292. Here we are in December of 2019 and Ga POST Council is still non-compliant with this law. The agency which oversees compliance of state law, training, and investigates officers for violations is itself not following state law.
    "In part, the bill clarifies that certain active and retired law enforcement officers shall be authorized to carry a handgun on or off duty anywhere within this state, and mandates that the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Council shall issue retired identification cards to those retired officers with at least ten years of aggregate service as a law enforcement officer. The bill also requires POST to establish criteria for determining a separation from service in good standing. POST Council is currently discussing the matter with the Attorney General’s office and developing written standards for ensuring compliance with all provisions of the law. POST Council will adopt rules to comply with the provisions of the bill. Rules are adopted in accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act. The time line for implementation of these rules is unknown. " https://gapost.org/pdf_file/update_regarding_HB292.pdf The hold up is they are trying how to determine "In Good Standing", but every officer record says on the bottom if they are in good standing with POST. My record says, "Status: Good Standing". Not sure whats to figure out.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Have you reached out to the AG's office? Open records act perhaps?

3. Warlock06

Warlock06 Concerned American

Yes I have. I wrote my state senator Lindsey Tippins, my state rep Ginny Ehrhart, wrote to POST, the AG's office, Gov office. The only one to reply back was an investigator for POST, they said they are working on it. The only reason I even found this out is because I left law enforcement after 16 years, this law applies to me. When I checked on it there is a word document stating what I posted.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

POST basically put up a stone wall asserting that the legislature ordered it to issue a "National Concealed Carry license" and further asserted that it couldn't satisfy the requirements of the bill as they do not maintain the records of out of state peace officers now living in GA.

I've had numerous discussions with my state rep about this.

DonT likes this.
  5. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Check your FB Messenger inbox.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Any updates regarding this issue? I find it hard to believe state employees can just ignore a clear state law like this. POST updated their "we are working on this" HB 292 Update sheet to show the new Governor's name. https://gapost.org/pdf_file/update_regarding_HB292.pdf