Funny encounter at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by dunkel, Jan 29, 2011.

1. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Went up to the Home Depot on Wade Green, OCing my P220 in Serpa, as usual. Just jeans and a plain t-shirt. Haven't shaved in a few days.

For the most part, I don't even know if anyone noticed. Finally, one of the guys helping me looked down and said "oh, hey, you have a gun...is it a 9mm?". Turns out he had just gotten into shooting. Picked up a 9mm Sigma a few months ago and was still getting comfortable shooting, handling it, carrying it in the house in front of the neighbors, etc. Said he wanted to get his permit after he got some more experience. Young kid, but seemed like he had his head screwed on right. I directed him to GPDO, as usual.

Then, on the way out, I think the cashier might have wet herself a little bit. I was carrying a couple pieces of hardiplank, so my SIG was hidden. When I set them on the counter, she let out a little yelp and said "oh you have a gun!". I just said, yeah, sorry, didn't mean to startle you with it. She managed to ring up the sale and give me my change, all while nervously mumbling something incoherent. I just smiled, thanked her, and walked out. I did not direct her to GPDO, although in retrospect, maybe I should invite those kinds of people right along with the ones already on our side.

Anyway, the rest of my stops in the area were uneventful, although one lady in Big Lots seemed to hurry down and out of the aisle I was in at one point...but that might have been my imagination...

2. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

A couple of days ago, I was in the slow line at the PTC Kroger, CCing. From the line to the right, a lady squeals "is that a gun in your back pocket?" I look over, and she's, thankfully, not referring to me, although I commonly OC. The gentleman behind her was CCing, but when reaching for his wallet, she saw his gun, in a holster. I never got a good look at the gun or holster setup, although I wanted to for my curiosity. From the bulge, it was obviously not in his back pocket. He turned beet-red and he stammered some spiel about "nothing to worry about" and "you're safer when I'm around." He noticed alot of eyes on him, and I was digging for a GCO card in my wallet, but I'd run out. Anyhoo, he scooted out before I could say hi. What struck me as especially funny is this was about the only time I have CCed into that Krogers, and I couldn't help but wonder how the lady would have reacted had I or the other guy been OCing. The cashiers were totally and completely non-plussed, as always.

3. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

You should have turned around and said "Well so am I, so now your safety is doubled!"

4. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

I was trying to find a way in to "rescue" the poor guy, and I figured reaching over with a GCO card would do it, but I'd run out. Doh. ['scuse me, while I whip this out!]

5. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

I'll admit two questions that have gotten old to me:

1. Did your tattoos hurt?

2. Why do you have a gun?

/facepalm

6. niadhf

niadhf New Member

DJ.. Could be worse.. it could be.

1. Why do you have Tattoos?
    2. Does the gun hurt?

At least with the "why do you have a gun" you have a chance to talk to somone without them :panic:

7. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

I try and be a good citizen, but sometimes the "why do you have a gun" question gets old and Im just thinking I want to be left alone.

But the good side is tattoos + guns = people tend to leave you be :lol:

8. harleymason

harleymason New Member

Maybe that's why I haven't had any encounters yet. :)

9. howie1932

howie1932 New Member

I think it has to more to do with where you are. I've got a tattoo and have open carried and not a single person has asked me about my gun. I do get comments and questions about a tattoo though.

10. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

+1 I definitely have gotten more comments on the gun when wearing pants and long sleeves (no visible tattoos that way). I haven't found anything yet that deters the tattoo commments....maybe I need a t-shirt that just says "of course it :censored: hurt". :)

11. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

LMAO. I was having a larger piece done on my right arm and a handful of girls were watching it and after about an hour (they were waiting for an artist to trace out a drawing that one wanted to get done as a first tattoo - despite the artist saying there would be problems with it) and finally they got up the courage to say "does that hurt?" I responded "no, not at all." and they sighed a relief and I blurted out "of COURSE IT EFFEN HURTS! DO YOU SEE THE BLOOD? ALL TATTOOS HURT!". My artist busted out laughing and shook his head and went on grinding on the arm while the girls turned away.

about 20 mins later, the one starts getting her work done (on her back, between her shoulders across the spine) and all I hear is her artist saying "don't pull away... you've got to stop pulling away!" haha..

Pain is temporary. Ink is forever =)

12. martin_j001

I had a similar, but even more shocking (at least to me) experience recently. Went to a local shop where the artist I've been seeing lately was doing a guest-spot for a weekend while he was in town. I arrived at 1pm, plopped my butt in the chair at about 2pm maybe, and didn't leave until after 7pm. Took about two 15 minute breaks. The other artists in the store as well as customers that came in, were all shocked by how long I'd been sitting there letting my artist work, and especially after the 3 hour mark, they would gather around me and just watch for a few minutes, like they'd never seen something like this happen before. Very weird...

Sorry to 'jack the thread all, haha.

Whether its guns or tattoos, sometimes, I just plain don't feel like talking to people. I have often worn a "keep staring, I might do a trick" t-shirt...that was before I started carrying. Maybe I need to get that back out... :)

13. dunkel

dunkel New Member

FWIW, my tattoos were covered. They're both on the socially acceptable rebellious zone.

14. seereus

seereus Active Member

Alice says that guns and tats do not mix and lead to more violent crime.

15. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

You are on the right track with the t-shirt idea, but what you really need is another TATTOO that says:
    "Yes, it hurt getting all of these tattoos. Any other dumb questions?"

****Disclaimer: Personally, I am not a tattoo kind of guy, never had one and never will. But if other people want to get one, or twenty, of them, then be my guest. Freedom of expression and all that.

16. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

My usual sessions are 3+ hours if anything the pain goes away the longer you get ink because at that point the spot (and surrounding spots) go halfway numb. Getting ink is trauma to the body so after awhile the body picks up on this and starts dulling it through whatever scientific means.

17. martin_j001

That would be quite funny.

My thought process when I read this: haha, funny, I don't have space for that, what could you do along the same lines about carrying a gun, what about a gun tattoo on ones hip, haha, I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a gun tattoo on their hand that makes their hand in "gun shape" look like a real gun?

Answer, yes. :) Now, do you conceal or OC those? :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

18. ET.

ET. Active Member

I'm not sure I get this "I'm tired of the question 'Why do you carry a gun'" bit. If you are OC-ing that's what you are going to get asked. If you don't want to bring attention to the fact that you carry a gun then CC the thing. Complaining about uneducated people asking questions is ridiculous. It is a teachable moment. If you don't want to teach then conceal it. Copping an attitude when someone asks the question does none of us any good. Just saying...

19. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

good post :righton:

20. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I'm in that HD quite a bit. If I spot you OCing I will say hello. :righton: