Fun shoot in Marietta maybe?

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by gunsmoker, Aug 11, 2018.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Wegahe and I would like to do a police-style fun shoot, for bragging rights or just as a personal challenge to see if you can pass and if you come close to a perfect score or come close to failing (240 out of 300 needed to pass).

The shooting range, Wild West Traders, would be open to the public at that time, Saturday morning (exact date T.B.D.).

Aside from those folks who will come to shoot in this sort-of-competition, who else would like to come just for fun?

Only half the range would be reserved for the LEO type shoot, so some of us could shoot out own way in small groups on tbe other half of the range for the normal fee ($12 flat rate). (Shooting the police course would be $30.)

We could go out for lunch afterward. I'll find a place that's 2A friendly since some of us will be packing openly.

Who is interested, for a future Saturday morning in September?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My September is booked fairly full, but I will come if I’m available.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018

3. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I have one out of town commitment for a weekend, but it sounds like it could be fun. I once shot against my cousin, a former LEO, in his own backyard range in Texas with my guns. You can figure out how that came out. At least I know my guns are accurate. :)

4. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

I'm interested. I work some saturdays but have a few friends I can swap with.

5. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I have to go out of town one weekend in September and I might be working (I never know my weekend schedule until Friday mornings). If I can go, I am interested but I can't commit to it.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Under 150...

No minimum has been set. The range doesn't usually allow shooters under 13 with handguns. .22 rifles only for 12 and under. Exceptions can be made by the RSO. I know you have trained your son well so it should be an easy exception.

8. Ankhadia

Ankhadia Member

What is a police-style fun shoot? I'm at that range 2 or 3 times a week so it could be fun.

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

You shoot the police targets at prescribed distances and shots as required by post qualification. Since this is NOT a certified course you only get an unofficial cert with photos of your targets and score on it. Cost is $20 for the range and $10 to the RSO/Instructor who is furnishing the targets, his gas and his time as he is not being paid by the range. The $20 can be cash or credit card. The $10 can be cash or USPS money order. Those who do shoot the police qualification can also stay and shoot since the range fee will apply for the entire day.

10. gunsmoker

For the actual course of fire, see this link to the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council. (POST)

https://www.gapost.org/pdf_file/gsac05.pdf

It's 30 shots total. A few from 25 yards, a few more from 15 yds. A dozen or so from 7 yds, and a few from 3 yards.

Some must be rapid fire and other stages would be more like "timed fire" where one shot every three or four seconds would be fine. One stage requires you to use a barricade and shoot around it without touching it, and one stage requires you to drop into a kneeling position and reload your weapon on the clock.

If you miss the designated target area of the head or the center of the chest but hit another part of the body, you can still get eight points even if it's not a perfect 10.

The only way you could fail this test, and you'd have to be really bad, is to have several of your shots miss the body entirely for "0 points" each. And the target "body" is approximately 16 inches wide by about 24 inches tall.

P.S. I suppose you could also fail the test by letting the time run out with multiple unfired rounds in your pistol, or shooting after the "stop" signal that tells you the time for that stage has run out.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have seen plenty of persons fail this test. Plenty.

Archangel likes this.
  12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I ordered the targets for this today. As soon as they arrive I will see when I can get the range and set a date. If there is enough interest in doing this we may have it again on future dates as well.

13. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Oh yes... Most assuredly.

Many folks assume that because LEOs carry guns all the time, they are gun folks.

Not so...

Many / most officers the only time that gun comes out is at qualifications...

14. gunsmoker

I've seen a couple of officers fail, but they weren't the kind of people who participate in chats about guns on sites like GeorgiaPacking. Among OUR viewers here at this place, the people who are reading the invitation to participate, I think most of them can pass if they show up with a medium to full sized pistol and mind the time limits. Their goal should be to see whether they "barely pass" with a score like 245, or "easily pass" with a score in the 260s, or a "very good" score in the 280s. You and I should have as our goals a "near perfect" score in the high 290s!

This article about LEO training failure rates indicates that both Chicago and Los Angeles only have a 3% rate of officers who can't pass the firearms qualification (although that's even after remedial training and extra practice. I can't find any statistics on first-attempt pass/ fail rates for LEO cadets or veteran officers doing annual recertification).

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...pass-chicago-police-department-shooting-test/

P.S. The writer of the article suggests that LA's standards are higher and they flunk out more people, while Chicago's corrupt system lets them pass anyway, but if you run the numbers cited in the article for Los Angeles, it's just a little over 3% that flunk out. They may have a higher raw number of failures, but not a statistically significant higher percentage.

15. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Targets arrived today! Anyone up for 09/01/2018?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  16. gunsmoker

A weekday?
    I thought we were going to do this on Saturday morning.
    The second Saturday in September should be the 8th.

But, I can't make the 8th. I've got a conference I must attend.

17. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I meant 09/01/2018. I corrected it. We may be able to have it on the 8th as well for those who can't make it on the 1st. Other dates may also be available depending on interest.

It will be at 9:00 AM when the range opens for the day. A short briefing n the classroom then we shoot...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  18. gunsmoker

A week from today. Yeah, that works for me. Who else?
    Please sound off if Sept 1st is good for the rest of y'all.

19. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Can we go for multiple runs with different guns?