Fulton using digital fingerprints now?

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by gundawg, Nov 4, 2005.

1. gundawg

gundawg New Member

I heard from a recent applicant in Fulton that they now are using digital fingerprints for Georgia Firearms License applications. Anyone know anything about this? Hopefully it will speed up processing times. :roll:

2. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I wouldn't doubt it. Just before I left my position at the sheriff's office last year, we had just upgraded to the new computer/scanner like finger print machines. The computer stores your fingerprints and you can then print them out on the fingerprint cards for nice clean finger prints. No ink smudges or smears to worry about. And if you mess up your finger rolls, well you can just do one click on the mouse to recapture the appropriate appendange, unlike the old way where you would have to trash the entire card and begin again.

It is really quick and easy and a blessing when your dealing with uncooperative inmates at booking time.

Oh and one more thing, I don't know about other counties computerized fingerprint machines, but the one I worked with you could also do a NCIS check simultaneously to both the GBI and FBI and have the results back by the time you're done capturing fingerprints. I do know from the GBI agent that was training us on how to use the machines that they are pushing all county police and sheriff departments to upgrade to the new system.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm . . .

Maybe we sould amend the law to allow only 24 hours for the issuance of a license . . .

4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

In the age of computer and broadband communications, the time frame you suggested is quite possible. Also it would be possible to implement a real time status check on a GFL to see whether or not it is currently valid and if the holder had committed any disqualifying crimes since the issuance/renewal of his/her license. The problem is getting the counties to shell out the money for a system that the GBI is pushing for. It seems a little state assistance should be in order to make this happen and not to leave the burden completely upon the counties.

5. Malum Prohibitum

New Hampshire has a fourteen day timeline, and someone posted over at packing that his was issued in two days.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Gundawg, please keep us informed on your friend.

Better yet, have him post here!

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Did they use the north or south annex? (I have heard one other say the south annex was using digital)
    and
    Did they have to provide their social security card?

8. gundawg

gundawg New Member

I believe he applied at the Fulton North annex.

And yes, they required his social security card! (which he had lost; they said that if he applied for a new card at the Social Security Administration and brought the receipt, that would do, and they apparently kept their word on that)

I'll let you guys know when he gets his license and how long it ended up taking.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

gundawg: You sure it was North? A poster on Packing.org just posted the North Annex was still inking.

10. gundawg

gundawg New Member

Actually it was the main government center, not the north annex.