Fulton County Renewals

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by PaintTheSkyGrey, Jun 19, 2020.

1. PaintTheSkyGrey

PaintTheSkyGrey Member

My license expired 6/17, but Fulton County is still not processing renewals. As far as I understand it, there hasn’t been an exception made to provide a grace period, so am I just SOL until FulCo decides to get with the rest of Georgia?

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The declaration of judicial emergency tolled deadlines. If your GWL's facial expiration date was during the emergency, your GWL does not actually expire until 30 days after the emergency ends.

3. PaintTheSkyGrey

PaintTheSkyGrey Member

Oh, sweet. Thanks!

4. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

Renewed mine at the North Service Center this morning. Downloaded the application, and filled it out at home; don't sign it until you go in. Went by around 10 one morning last week only to be told they were full for the day. One of the deputies there recommended arriving no later than 7:30. Was there by 7:30 this morning and was #4 in line. Around 7:45 someone from the reception area brought out the sign-in clipboard (there were now about 4 more in line behind me). Once you've signed in, you can go back to your car, go grab a cup of coffee, whatever, just be back by 8:30 (I think the building opens at 8:00).

Reception will direct you to the waiting room, probably 15 chairs spaced 6 feet apart. Shortly after 8:30, clerk came in with instructions (be sure the address on your DL is current, masks required, SSPD and Alpharetta PD will only fingerprint/background check their residents). Break her rules, and she may kick you out, or delay your app, and she mentioned having two people arrested recently (not sure for what, masks?). Apparently, if you are not from Alpharetta or Sandy Springs, but go their for fingerprints/background check, you'll have to start all over.

Shortly thereafter, they called the first half dozen of us to line up in chairs in the hall. Called us in one by one to complete/submit/process the app, take your picture, and pay ($33). Fee includes mailing, and you do not have to provide an SASE. Clerk specially says "due to current circumstances, there is no time frame for delivery." Law still applies to me so I figure it still applies to them...pointless arguing with the clerk and potentially creates more problems (given her attitude), but I'll reach out to GCO if the 90 day temp they gave me is getting close to expiring.

Went north a couple of blocks and across the street to SSPD (a little tough to find if you don't know exactly where you're going). You only have 5 business days to go from the time you file with the probate court. Signed three pieces of paper and handed their clerk one sheet from the probate court and was done. Right at 2 hours from arrival at the Service Center to finishing at SSPD.

Overall impressions:
    • No metal detectors that I saw at the court or SSPD (SSPD is behind bullet resistant glass), but I would not chance bringing a firearm.
    • Deputies in the service center and SSPD are reasonably pleasant but not overly friendly.
    • Probate Court staff exudes arrogance and disdain, and will obviously do anything in their power to make the process as much of a hassle as possible. Makes you want to remind them that (1) you're standing in line, filling out forms, and paying money for something that already belongs to you, and (2) as public servants, they work for you. Probably better to smile and take it, at least for the moment.
    • On a lighter note, it always amuses me that you typically see two kinds of people at the Probate Court: young, happy, 20 something couples there together, and grumpy middle-aged men there alone. BTW, the court does move the former to the front of the line as they come in.
    • At least I'm out of DeKalb County (9 years in December)!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Bob,

Thanks for the report. My impressions:

1. They can't require masks
    2. It is a courthouse, so no carry allowed whether they have metal detectors or not.
    3. Carry is allowed at SSPD, but I bet SSPD does not know that.
    4. Probate staff at North Svc Center has had an attitude for at least 20 years. Probably not going away any time soon.
    5. Keep us posted on your results.

Clark and Adam5 like this.
  6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My GWCL expires in early February '21. I'll be heading downtown Atlanta to renew in early November.

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Good luck!

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Arrogant, nasty probate staff who despise the customers they serve are good enough reason to remove them from the "special ones" 130 exception list.

Let them have to get their own GWL and then maybe they'd better appreciate us mere mortal peons that pay their salary.

Broadside Bob likes this.
  9. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

They'll just hand it over to their coworkers to fast track while they're both on the clock.

10. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

Applied for renewal 8/13/2020; postmarked 9/16, received today (though it says issued 9/4). Not bad (35 days), especially given the attitude of the probate court worker who made it sound like I should feel fortunate if I got it any time in the next year or so. I appreciate that it's far better to under promise and overdeliver, but it's not necessary to be nasty. I say "overdeliver," but I did just stand in line, deal with a nasty and arrogant government employee, and pay for something that already belongs to me.