Fulton County Press

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Bigpapatrott, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Bigpapatrott

Bigpapatrott New Member

Kinda long and typed on my phone so sorry in advance.

Applied 11/17/17 at the north springs complex, process was easy, filled out the application, said the oath, took my picture, and signed everything in less than 10 minutes altogether.

Got my fingerprints done the same day across the street at the sandy springs police department. Again, very easy. There was one person in front of me but out in under 10.

I decided to check in with the probate court to see if they were following 16-11-129 (ha)

On December 1st, I went to the Pryor street location to check on the status, they said they hadn’t received anything from sandy springs pd. It had been 14 calendar days and I heard that the background check comes back pretty fast, but the law allows for 20, so fine.

On December 11th I called the probate court again to check on status and was told they still hadn’t received the background check from SSPD. It had been 24 colander days so it should of been returned by then.

I called the police department and they told me there system for checking when background checks were sent off was down and to call back in a couple hours. Called back in 2 hours and system was still down, but they said that based on my finger print date, they should have already been sent off.

Yesterday December 21, 34 calendar days after applying, I call to check on status and am told background check still hasn’t been received. I ask to speak to the supervisor of the licensing department to determine what the hold up is and to ask if they had received the background check.

I eventually get transferred to a supervisor named Jill who asks for my name and birthday and then puts me on hold. She comes back to say background check hasn’t been returned blah blah 60-90 days for Weapons license blah blah. I then inform her that state law says the total process should take 35 days. She goes back and forth with me before putting me on hold for 47 minutes. The call is disconnected and I call back. The receptionist answers and says she disconnected the call because Jill had stepped out the office for lunch.

When Jill walks in from lunch, I am sitting in the lobby waiting for her. She apologizes and says she forgot she had a call on the line and again ask for my info. She again says that SSPD hasn’t returned my background check. I call SSPD again and they tell me that it was sent and received by the court on December 13th.

As I get off the phone, a woman named Barbara who I believe was the chief clerk walks into the office and tells Jill there have been complaints and ask her if within 10 days of receipt of the background checks they are issuing or denying. She says yes but they have had a lot of applications, short staffed blah blah.

Barbara leaves, I tell Jill that SSPD said they sent background check on the 13th, she checks again and says nope, still doesn’t have it. She then has an epiphany and realizes she has been checking the wrong list and finds my background check. Shows it to me, says that she will process it and my license should be ready for pickup by next Thursday, 41 days after application. Fingers crossed.

AtlPhilip and UtiPossidetis like this.
  2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Welcome aboard! Great first post. Please keep us informed.

Bigpapatrott likes this.

3. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Wow. You are a patient man with a ton of self control. Keep us posted.

Bigpapatrott likes this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Congrats. Fight the good fight and try to keep them honest.

And welcome!

Nemo

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

What list had she been checking prior to her epiphany?

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

It's Fulton County. No one should be surprised.

7. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Probably her shopping list. She just looked down and say no.

Bigpapatrott likes this.
  8. Bigpapatrott

Bigpapatrott New Member

She says she was checking the list received from the Fulton County police department downtown, not from Sandy Springs smh

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

LOL! Busted! Incompetents or liars? Neither answer is a good one, is it?

Phil1979 likes this.
  10. Phil1979

Sounds like both answers probably apply equally in most cases with them.

11. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

c. All of the above.

Bigpapatrott likes this.
  12. Bigpapatrott

Bigpapatrott New Member

Picked up my License today from the probate court downtown, had a issue date of 12/21/17. Total time 40 days from date of application.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  13. Rail

Rail Member

Applied on 1/25 in Sandy Springs. Still no license. I got the "Well you know, Fulton is the largest county... 60-90 days" line when I checked on the status a couple of weeks ago. Gonna call again tomorrow.

14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Get a copy of the statute and go in to squawk some. Or call JRM, he can help.

Nemo

15. Phil1979

Folks, let's starting doing mandamus actions against these rogue counties violating state law. The law lets you recover your attorney fees, so get off your duff and get it done!

And in the mandamus action (if possible) sue to recover any over-payment of fees beyond what state law allows.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Why do some probate judges tolerate or encourage their employees to lie to citizens of their county?

These persons are intentionally giving out false information. You know it. They know it. The probate judge most likely knows about it, too.

Intolerable.

17. Malum Prohibitum

The law has required for some time that the report from the law enforcement agency be stamped with the date received.

I wonder how honestly and diligently the probate courts are discharging this mandatory action.

18. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

My guess would be "not very".

19. Phil1979

Does anyone in the know, know of any mandamus actions at all being filed against any county violating state law?

20. Rail

Rail Member

Called the court today: man said mine was printed on 3/12 (2 days ago) and that it was mailed from where they print all the permits to the court (somewhere near Savannah), but that they have to hold it for 10 days once they get it. Then they said they only go out on Tuesdays, so the EARLIEST I could get it would be the end of this month. I asked the reason for the 10 day hold: and he said they process 500 of these permits a week, and each one of them has to be checked then mailed or whatever. I would bet the other metro counties that are almost as large as Fulton don't do this.