Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi All,

When applying for my CCW at the Fulton County Annex (on Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs), I was warned by the probate clerk (didn't get her name, but she was super-friendly) that the process would probably take 4+ months if I went north to Alpharetta for manual prints, and probably take much less time if I went downtown for the digitized prints.

Needless to say, I went downtown. This is my very first time applying for CCW, so I will keep an eye on the length of time.

One question, however: do I have to apply for a new/updated permit every time I change my address? If that's the case, what a P.I.T.A.

In the meantime, many thanks to everyone for such a good comprehensive board with so much info.

Best,
Basic_Black

·
68,456 Posts
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129
License to carry pistol or revolver; temporary renewal permit

(a) Application for license or renewal license; term. The judge of the probate court of each county may, on application under oath and on payment of a fee of $15.00, issue a license or renewal license valid for a period of five years to any person whose domicile is in that county or who is on active duty with the United States armed forces and who is not a domiciliary of this state but who either resides in that county or on a military reservation located in whole or in part in that county at the time of such application, which license or renewal license shall authorize that person to carry any pistol or revolver in any county of this state notwithstanding any change in that person's county of residence or state of domicile.

It's still good even if you move to New Jersey.
:wink:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Basic_Black said:
the probate clerk (didn't get her name, but she was super-friendly)
I believe this is the first time anyone has ever been treated nicely by the north annex clerk. Must be someone new.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
jrm said:
Ramm, you seem to be having an identity crisis this week.
yeah....I just got tired of seeing myself, so I looking for a new avatar.

Buddy christ is a filler for now.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Rammstein said:
Basic_Black said:
I believe this is the first time anyone has ever been treated nicely by the north annex clerk. Must be someone new.
Maybe it's just you, the woman who handled my application was friendly and helpful. She couldn't have been any nicer. Black woman wearing muslim attire. She was quite pleasant, as were the cops in the basement who took my prints. That was about a year ago.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Macktee said:
Rammstein said:
Basic_Black said:
Maybe it's just you, the woman who handled my application was friendly and helpful. She couldn't have been any nicer. Black woman wearing muslim attire. She was quite pleasant, as were the cops in the basement who took my prints. That was about a year ago.
When I went there was no Muslim looking lady. Just two gruff black ladies dressed in normal clothes.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
It's still good even if you move to New Jersey.
Or other foreign countries like Kalifornia, Somalia, Massachusetts, or China. :D

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
larryg2 said:
I could stand it no more. I called Mrs. Manns at the police dept downtown Atlanta and she confirmed that they did have the results of my fingerprint & Georgia background check. She was waiting on the NCIC results, whatever the heck that is. She confirmed she would have those results by the end of the week and would forward all back to the probate court by the close of business on Friday. I'll be calling Mrs. Bunny Mayes to follow up on Monday morning.

PS: she advised all future applicants to go directly to her office downtown to apply rather than local probate courts. Don't ask....I don't know why!
I thought the GCIC is supposed to perform the FBI backgound check after the applicants finger prints are received from the fingerprinting area of LEO?

OCGA 16-11-129 (c)(2):
In the case of each applicant who is applying for a license
under this Code section for the first time, the judge of the
probate court shall direct the law enforcement agency to transmit
one set of the applicant's fingerprints to the Georgia Crime
Information Center for a search of the Federal Bureau of
Investigation records
and an appropriate report. In such cases,
the applicant shall submit an additional fee in an amount
established by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation but not to
exceed $30.00 for a search of records of the Federal Bureau of
Investigation and an appropriate report, payable in such form as
the judge may direct, to cover the cost of the records search.

Why would APD initiate a NCIC check after the GBI inquiry when the FBI maintains the NCIC database? Shouldn't the FBI check performed by GCIC contain any/all NCIC data?

One other question: for an applicant such as myself that lives in ATL, does APD receive the results of the GCIC investigation or does FCPD? How are the results shared with the appropriate LEO agency and on what media are the records transmitted? Does anyone know the particulars for the City of Atlanta?

·
Sledgehammer
4,758 Posts
moga,

This looks like a quote from the old version of the Code (not the version that became effective 7/1/06). The newer version specifically requires local LEA to check NCIC.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
jrm said:
moga,

This looks like a quote from the old version of the Code (not the version that became effective 7/1/06). The newer version specifically requires local LEA to check NCIC.
16-11-129
(d)(1) For both license applications and requests for license renewals, the judge of the probate court shall direct the law enforcement agency to request a fingerprint based criminal history records check from the Georgia Crime Information Center and Federal Bureau of Investigation for purposes of determining the suitability of the applicant and return an appropriate report to the judge of the probate court. Fingerprints shall be in such form and of such quality as prescribed by the Georgia Crime Information Center and under standards adopted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation may charge such fee as is necessary to cover the cost of the records search.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts