Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
A representative of the office of my County Commissioner e-mailed me back this afternoon. She writes they're checking into this for me, and to stay tuned.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Got a letter from Fulton Co. Probate Court...

Writing to my County Commissioner seems to have sparked a little action. This past week I received a letter from the Fulton County Probate Court. Pinkie T. Toomer writes (and this is only a portion of the entire letter):

"You are correct that Georgia law provides for the issuance of a gun permit within sixty (60) days. However, that represents sixty (60) days from the date your application is completed. Completion of the application does not occur until law enforcement has conducted a criminal history check and returned it to the Probate Court for grant or denial of the permit. Generally, we issue firearms permits within 15 days of completion in cases where there is no criminal history."

What happens when the Fulton County police precinct up in north Fulton County sends my prints to the precinct downtown within 10 days of my being printed, yet waits 120 days to send then to GBI? That doesn't mean anything and everybody gets a free pass on their accountability?

This is what I feel happened to me. Had I not called the Probate Court downtown, they never would have looked for my application on some desk down there collecting dust. I'm calling GBI again tomorrow to see if they got my prints yet.

All this started on September 29, 2006; and here we are almost out of March. :roll:

·
68,484 Posts
Re: Got a letter from Fulton Co. Probate Court...

Pinkie Toomer said:
"You are correct that Georgia law provides for the issuance of a gun permit within sixty (60) days. However, that represents sixty (60) days from the date your application is completed. Completion of the application does not occur until law enforcement has conducted a criminal history check and returned it to the Probate Court for grant or denial of the permit. Generally, we issue firearms permits within 15 days of completion in cases where there is no criminal history."
Dear Judge Toomer:

Thank you for responding to my letter. I found very interesting your assertion that I cannot have not completed my application for a firearms license under O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 "until law enforcement has conducted a criminal history check and returned it to the Probate Court for grant or denial of the permit." So, just to confirm, where the statute states, "Not later than 60 days after the date of application . . .," your position as the elected judge of Fulton County's probate court is that this means the date the law enforcement agency returns to you "a criminal history check" (by which I assume you mean a "report," which is not necessarily the same thing, and according to (d)(4) is not even required unless derogatory information is found bearing on the applicant's eligibility) starts the "60 day clock" ticking. The 60 day clock does not run on the actual "date of application," as the statute states, but the date a report is provided to you, correct?

Do you take the same perspective on O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(i)(2), which requires issuance of a temporary renewal license "at the time of application," unless "the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible?"

Are the phrases "date of application" and "time of application" different, since subsection (i) clearly does not contemplate a background check or a report to the probate court? Forgive my ignorance, as I am not an attorney, but would you please explain to me, as a layman, how these two requirements imposed on your office by state law are different, so that I may understand the timing of Fulton County's process?

Signed,

X

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Send it!

I'd love to read the response.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Is Ol' Pinkie elected or appointed?

If elected, does anyone know when his term expires and would anyone we know be interested in running against him? That's one campaign I might actually volunteer to help. Maybe even contribute some cash money...

·
68,484 Posts

Boy Racer said:
Pinkie T. Toomer writes (and this is only a portion of the entire letter):
Any chance of us seeing the entire letter?

And, while I disagree with so much of it as I have seen so far, I must applaud the effort that is made to communicate by the probate court. Many people have simply been ignored or written a dismissive missive when contacting the probate court. This missive at least makes a serious attempt to explain the probate court's position on the issue.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I'm still in favor of running Pinkie's ass out of that job!

If she/he's elected, let's get behind another candidate. If appointed, let's start a letter writing campaign.

But, let's do something!

Maybe if we can make an example of this one, the rest of them will start doing their jobs properly.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Malum Prohibitum said:
[quote="Boy Racer":136pgxpm] Pinkie T. Toomer writes (and this is only a portion of the entire letter):
Any chance of us seeing the entire letter?[/quote:136pgxpm]Sorry I've been gone for so long, I'm pretty busy at work. Here ya' go:

BTW - it's been close to another month now, still nothing. This is unimaginably frustrating.

·
68,484 Posts
:shakehead:

Yeah, Ms. Mayes is hard at work, alright. :roll:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
What's the chance of getting the original sponsor of the bill to write Pinkie a letter? Something like:

Dear Pinkie (You ignorant slut!)

Your interperation of the law is interesting but incorrect.

The language of the law states the probate court shall issue a license not less than 60 days from the date of application, not 60 days from the time the background check is completed. If that were the intent of the law, that language would have been included.

If you can find such language in the law, as passed by both houses of the legislature and signed by the governor, I'll kiss your wrinkled old ass on the front steps of the state capitol building and give you an hour to draw a crowd!

Sincerely, your friend, the honorable,

Whatshisname

Or something like that...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Called Ms. Mayes this morning. I figured hell, it's been another month, why not, right? Well, she was in a decidedly pissy mood.

Anyway, apparently my permit was issued March 1 and mailed the same day! You don't say? Then why is today March 21 and I still don't have it? Did you send it US Mail, or did you tie it to a pigeon's leg and you just hope it'll fly by and I'll grab it or something?

This is such bullshit. Anyone else on earth would have been fired weeks ago because of incompetence like this. Is this the best my tax dollars can fund?

·
Sledgehammer
4,765 Posts
Boy Racer,

Go down there today (or at your convenience), and say yours has been lost (apparently it has), and ask for a replacement for $5. You also ought to be able to go to either annex (north or south) if that is more convenient for you.

·
68,484 Posts

Well, now, let's examine that second paragraph, shall we? So, the date of application is the date the law enforcement agency returns a report on the background check, is it?

Interesting. :-k

Let us examine O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 to see whether such things are so.

When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required.
Well, I guess if you are eligible for the license, so that there is no derogatory information, then your application will just never be "complete," and the 60 days will never even begin to run!

:lol:

I always thought that when I applied for something, the "date of application" was when I applied, not whenever they got around to checking it out! I guess I am just too stupid to understand these things, simple man that I am.
:roll:

·
Registered
917 Posts
jrm said:
Boy Racer,

Go down there today (or at your convenience), and say yours has been lost (apparently it has), and ask for a replacement for $5. You also ought to be able to go to either annex (north or south) if that is more convenient for you.
Y'know, I'm not real keyed up to the idea of taking yet another day off to get this taken care of.

Let's add it up to this point: 1/2 a day to apply, and since then on two separate occasions I have taken 1/2 a day off to follow up (to no avail). Now take another 1/2 day, just to be told 'Well, I did all I can do, it's no longer my problem, have a nice day"? 16 of my 40 personal hours to watch incompetence in action? I'm sorry, I'm not being difficult or anything, but I'm just not interested in that.

I'd much rather just figure out who is ultimately responsible for the lack of delivery on my request. I mean, in every organization, there's always one guy - somewhere up the chain, there's one person. I want to know who that one person is and I want to call them and hear what their excuse is.

But I'm furious about this, so I just keep my mouth shut and stay away from their offices. I know I can't keep my mouth shut if I see these people in person and I'm sure I'll just make the situation worse. I don't want to argue with the idiots, because people watching the argument won't know who is who.

I'd give my left nut for some vindication in all of this, but I'm sure nothing will come of it. It'll stay business as usual down there. I wish I had a job where I could be this incompetent and unaccountable for my actions and not only keep the job, but get paid with full benefits, too.

Whatever, I'm just exasperated. I think the system is designed to get people so frustrated and angry that they just quit. In my situation, I think they're winning.

·
Sledgehammer
4,765 Posts
I'd much rather just figure out who is ultimately responsible for the lack of delivery on my request. I mean, in every organization, there's always one guy - somewhere up the chain, there's one person. I want to know who that one person is and I want to call them and hear what their excuse is.
That's easy. It's Judge Toomer.

Y'know, I'm not real keyed up to the idea of taking yet another day off to get this taken care of.
That's up to you. But, nothing is going to happen if you do nothing. Your time and money spent up to now are sunk costs. You can spend a little more time and $5 to get your license, or you can do nothing and have nothing to show for your sunk costs.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Got it Tuesday. 186 days I think?

Get this: after calling Ms. Mayes and telling her I had moved, she said submit change of address information and she'd take care of me.

Pffft, whatever.

The license was mailed to my old address, the USPS's mail forwarding is why it took 30 days to arrive.

The license itself? It still lists my old address. I sent notarized change of address information that they summarily ignored. Who would have believed that?

Incompetents.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts