21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: Couldn't stand it any longer!!!

ArmyJoe said:
Ok...Whew!!! Breathe.......In...Out.

I applied for my GFL in Fulton county on 12/12/06. Everything went very smooth. After reading the above posts about the frustrations with Fulton Co., I decided to make some calls today.
I started out with GCIC and spoke with Cheryl at 404-244-2639 ext.2. She pulled up my info and shows where my GBI and FBI check were returned clean on 12/13/06 :shock: . That is ONE DAY after I did the digital prints.
I called Mrs. Mayes (404-730-4640) at the Fulton Co. Probate a moment ago and she attempted to pull my records. It appears the Probate does not have the info back from the Atlanta PD :shock: . Hmmmmm........
I just left a message with Joyce Manns(404-730-5700) at Atlanta PD to call me back. I will ask her if my results are back yet. I'm interested to hear her response. If she does have them, then why have they been sitting there since 12/13/06????? If she says she does not have them, I think we have a bigger problem here since Cheryl says they returned on 12/13/06.
I'll post what Mrs. Manns says when she returns my call.
Along these lines, I just noticed that the issue date on my permit is 12/28/06 but I only recieved it on 01/24/07....so it basically sat on someones desk for almot a month before they bothered mailing it to me. That is really pathetic and unacceptable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Will do!!
30 mins and still no callback from Mrs. Manns. If she does have my results and has been sitting on them for over 6 weeks, I think this warrants a letter to Chief Pennington.
Next, we have the issue with how long Fulton Co. Probate will take to sign and mail the card.
It shouldn't be this difficult...

·
68,469 Posts
:lol:

Once investigated, the root of the problem just never seems to be the "GBI," does it? In spite of the fact that this was the stock probate court answer over the last several years anytime someone asked about the processing time of their license. "Oh, it's not back from the GBI yet."

:roll:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok. Just got a callback from Mrs. Manns at Atlanta PD. I explained what Mrs. Mayes had told me about not having anything back yet. Mrs. Manns fumbled around with some papers and stated, "She picked it up this morning and it is now back in Probate and they issue from there."
I said thank you and before I could ask what took so long, she said, "Have a nice day", and hung up.
I think we may have discovered the root of the Fulton County problem. It appears that if you go downtown and go through the process, the holdup appears to be in the APD fingerprint section being slow!!!
If anyone has applied and is still waiting, I highly suggest you call and get it moving. My prints sat on Mrs. Manns desk for SIX weeks!! :evil: :evil:
I can only assume that they would still be there for months if I hadn't made some calls.
Chery with GCIC is very helpful and frendly.
Mrs. Mayes at Fulton Co. Probate was surprisingly pleasant.
Track it down and find out what is hold up your permit!! :D
I'm calling Mrs. Mayes now to ensure mine gets signed and mailed today!!!!
Still too difficult a process. I should have had mine within a week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK. Update...
I just spoke to Mrs. Mayes at Fulton Probate. She stated it will take up to 10 working days to process through Probate and I should have my permit. If I don't have it by Feb 13, call her back.
She was quite short, actually rude. She did say that it depends on if I have ever been arrested or not!?!?!?! I didn't understand that and she would not explain when I probed. Does the Probate judge do some additional investigation based on your arrest record? I was under the impression that if your print check came back clean from GCIC and NCIC, what else can the Probate do other than "shall issue"? Is it the "of good moral character issue"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
In no way am I bragging...

I live in Fulton county, near downtown. I applied for my GFL last April, and I received it 31 days later.

My question is, how is there this much discrepency in the amount of time it takes for people to receive their license? Anyone?

:shock:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
GoRabbitGo said:
In no way am I bragging...

I live in Fulton county, near downtown. I applied for my GFL last April, and I received it 31 days later.

My question is, how is there this much discrepency in the amount of time it takes for people to receive their license? Anyone?

:shock:
31 days? Am I reading that correctly?

·
68,469 Posts
GoRabbitGo said:
My question is, how is there this much discrepency in the amount of time it takes for people to receive their license?
I dunno. Are you related to/ highschool buddies/ campaign contributor to the probate judge?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I dunno. Are you related to/ highschool buddies/ campaign contributor to the probate judge?

Don't know anyone who works for the county, and I'm too poor to contribute to anyone's campaign. :D

I always thought that anyone who applies for their license, applies on equal grounds legally. No felony convictions, drugs, whatever. Otherwise, what would be the point in applying, since it's going to come up in a background check.

Now when I try to renew it, it will probably take 6 months to get, which was what my original question was about.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
One week after initiating the complaining process with Ms. Mayes & Manns and after following the directions offered here, I received a phone call on Friday telling me that my permit was ready for pickup. Last week, they asked if I wanted it mailed or held for pickup and I volunteered to drive downtown to the courthouse to pick it up in person.

That's just about 4 1/2 months after renewal application. :twisted:

·
68,469 Posts
larryg2 said:
One week after initiating the complaining process with Ms. Mayes & Manns and after following the directions offered here . . .
:woohoo:

This stuff works even when "It just isn't true!"

·
Registered
28 Posts
Licensing Law Adherance

I went through the same in Dekalb last year. After reading all of the stories here, I decided to do my homework and be prepared when the 60 day interval had passed.

I decided I did not want to make calls to the probate office due to the potential of the permit being declined for agressive personality, harrassment, etc. (which I have heard has happened). Not to mention the complete hassle this represents.

On day 61 I wrote my state representative a very polite, professional email outlining the issue as well as a reference to the applicable GA code, county, court, etc. My representative called me the next day. I received my permit within the week.

The only way that the people who make the laws can become aware of the issue is if you make them aware of it. My state Rep. advised me that he was not aware of the law, or the problem, but personally made the call to the probate judge the day after he received my email.

Mission accomplished! Lawmaker made aware of the lack of compliance in my county. My personal issue resolved.

·
68,469 Posts
Good work, Defensor.

By the way, click on the banner at the bottom of every page. GCO needs active people. There is also a link in my signature line.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's no wonder people carry illegally

I'm so frustrated. I've been reading these threads and calling all over north Georgia, and still am no better off than I was 135 days ago.

The Probate Court claims no knowledge and won't instruct me on who to call or how to proceed. The Fulton Co. Police in N. Fulton Co. claim that after prints are taken, they are hand delivered downtown. Then they are hand delivered to GBI/GCIC for checks. The lady downtown swears up and down that my prints were delivered to GBI because GBI signed for them. GBI claims they have no record of my existence, and are processing claims from January of this year. Everything prior was already processed and sent forward.

No one I called cares about my problem.

Yesterday I wrote to my County Commissioner and just this morning my State Representative. I was polite, I'm hoping for some high-powered help. Or Higher Power help at this point. :roll:

It's no wonder people skip the hassle and beg forgiveness later rather than ask permission before hand.

·
68,469 Posts
Re: It's no wonder people carry illegally

Boy Racer said:
No one I called cares about my problem.
That's the real problem, isn't it? So, it seems to me that the person who swears your fingerprints were delivered but cannot now account for them is the one who needs to answer.

This person's name and position?

Did you get your agency's ORI number before contacting GCIC and were told you did not exist?

Assuming you did so, it appears they most certainly were not delivered, and the person who last held the cards in her grubby little fingers should be called to account. Did you ask about how your NICS check (see 16-11-129(d)(2)) came out? Do they have any other paperwork for you (like the blank card with one fingerprint thereon and the application)?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Re: It's no wonder people carry illegally

Malum Prohibitum said:
[quote="Boy Racer":m3nv8iba]No one I called cares about my problem.
That's the real problem, isn't it? So, it seems to me that the person who swears your fingerprints were delivered but cannot now account for them is the one who needs to answer.

This person's name and position?[/quote:m3nv8iba]Our old favorite: Joyce Manns (404) 730-5700. She told me not to call her back, that she can't do a thing for me until the results come back from other agencies.

Malum Prohibitum said:
Did you get your agency's ORI number before contacting GCIC and were told you did not exist?
I did not. I will admit, I do not know what a ORI number is, or what it does, how how to reference it, or use it to my benefit.

Malum Prohibitum said:
Assuming you did so, it appears they most certainly were not delivered, and the person who last held the cards in her grubby little fingers should be called to account.
Buh... buh... buh... but: Ms. Manns told me that my file on the desk down there at APD was sent to GBI, it had to have been, GBI signed for it. And she wouldn't feed me a line, now, would she? :roll:

Malum Prohibitum said:
Did you ask about how your NICS check (see 16-11-129(d)(2)) came out? Do they have any other paperwork for you (like the blank card with one fingerprint thereon and the application)?
I have no idea, I didn't ask any of that stuff. I didn't know about it. Truthfully, I have no reason to believe anything anyone says to me anyway. At this point I've been convinced that either most or all of these people are either incompetent or lying (probably copious amounts of both). And throughout all my conversations (both Fu Co Po-Po and the Probate Office) they continually reference being short-handed and the personel challenges they are experiencing.

Spare me. 135 days is way, way more than necessary. I'm moving from despair to anger.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
After re-reading this thread, especially contact with legislators, I realized I neglected to include in my tale that I also sent email to my two legislators. I recieved response from neither.

At day 135, you could be 15% of the way to your permit.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts