Fulton County more than 60 days

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by LDHH_MS, Jan 8, 2007.

1. LDHH_MS

LDHH_MS Guest

I applied on October 16 2006. I still haven't recieved my permit today on January 8, 2007. I took digital prints downtown. I had heard they were processing them on time. Calling the courthouse is just a recording.

Don't know if there are any options or just keep watching the mailbox.

2. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Guest

I applied in Fulton Co. on 12/12/06. Digital prints also. Lady said 4-6 months. I didn't have time nor the inclination to argue the 60 day law with her. Also, she did make it a point to let me know that "Georgia law has changed and the renewal license went away." :roll: Tons of great info here. Welcome!

3. LDHH_MS

LDHH_MS Guest

Thanks for the welcome.

Yea, the woman that did the fingerprints said 4 months also, I didn't want to get in an argument with her about the 60days and give her a reason to have a "problem" with the prints.

I am new to Georgia from Mississippi. I have to say I am surprised the process isn't easier and that the laws are as bad and confusing here as they are.

4. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Guest

The laws definately need some work. It seems like a lot of smart folks are on this forum working on those very issues. There is strength in numbers.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Gentlemen, the 60 day issue is currently pending in the Georgia Court of Appeals. There is enough information here to keep you busy reading for the next two or three hours, including all the relevant briefs in the trial court and the Court of Appeals.

Have fun reading!

6. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Waiting for renewal 4 1/2 months!!! Apology to Malum

Malum & all:

I applied for my "RENEWAL" on Sept 12th and am still waiting 4 1/2 months later. Options were presented to me here on the forum which might have helped others in Fulton Cnty to avoid this BS and I made the wrong decision not to pursue those options. I would have never believed it could take this long for a renewal to be issued and chose to avoid confrontation rather than to fight for what was right.

My apologies to those here who presented me with those options. I was wrong not to use the system against itself.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Larry,

It's never too late to start! Start by getting your ORI number off this site and contacting GCIC to find out if they have your fingerprints yet (as many probate courts are blaming the delay on GCIC when they have not yet even sent the fingerprints in).

Ink takes about 7 days right now. Electronic Livescan fingerprints take only minutes.

The GCIC will let you know your status.

Enter ORI in the search function above.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Oh, and Join GCO! To my knowledge, they are the only organized group actively working on these issues.

There is strength in numbers.

9. Bulldawg182

ORI?

Malum,

Thanks for your reply and your advice. I can't seem to find any information in the search function for my ORI #. Also, how do I contact GCIC and what is it?

Can you help?

10. Malum Prohibitum

11. Malum Prohibitum

And here are two pages explaining some about the process.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... gbi+status

GCIC stands for Georgia Crime Information Center, and it is the division of the GBI that handles fingerprint requests. O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(d)(1) requires the probate judge to request that the local law enforcement agency that takes your fingerprints request a check of GCIC records.

In reality, some of the probate judges simply ignore this requirement (see the lawsuit pleadings for but one example) and are requesting the check themselves, when they get around to it.

Calling the GBI directly gets around this subterfuge and the lie they constantly tell about "We are waiting on the background check."
    :roll:

12. Malum Prohibitum

:D

13. Bulldawg182

Results of GCIC, Probate, Police runaround

Ok, I've located my ORI# and called the GCIC. The GCIC looked up my records and said they have the results of my background check & fingerprints since Dec. 11th but "the police probably didn't send ME the results". So, she suggested the police dept never sent the results to the probate court and the results must be at the police dept lost in piles somewhere. She advised me to call the probate court where I applied and explain.

I called the probate court at the Roswell Annex in Fulton Cnty who told me it takes 6 months. I told them what the GCIC said and she said there was nothing she could do about that. Advised me to call Bunny Mayes downtown.

I called Bunny Mayes downtown and explained the best I could. She sounded as if it wasn't her problem and that the GCIC should have never been called. She added that the GCIC probably had my Georgia results but not my federal results. She advised me to call Mrs. Manns at the police department to investigate further.

At this point.....I lost my control and asked her how and why I, a good citizen and multi term permit holder who jumped through all the hoops, signed all the applications, paid all the fees and got my prints done correctly at the local police dept, now had to be making 20 phone calls to different departments trying to find out where the hell my permit is 4 1/2 months later. She said, "Well I have no idea". I asked her to call Mrs. Manns directly to find out where my permit was. She said she would and call me back. She added that she was confused about the system and that this isn't the "way she understood it should occur". I asked her politely, "Ma'am.....if this is your job and you don't understand, how in the world do you expect me to understand?

I'm still waiting for her phone call.....probably will till April.

14. Bulldawg182

I could stand it no more. I called Mrs. Manns at the police dept downtown Atlanta and she confirmed that they did have the results of my fingerprint & Georgia background check. She was waiting on the NCIC results, whatever the heck that is. She confirmed she would have those results by the end of the week and would forward all back to the probate court by the close of business on Friday. I'll be calling Mrs. Bunny Mayes to follow up on Monday morning.

PS: she advised all future applicants to go directly to her office downtown to apply rather than local probate courts. Don't ask....I don't know why!

15. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Results of GCIC, Probate, Police runaround

:rotfl:

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

How could she possibly know in advance when she would get something from NCIC, unless it has something to do with the fact that she had yet to request anything from NCIC?

17. Malum Prohibitum

I believe GCIC sends the prints directly to NCIC, so that there are not two separate requests by the local law enforcement agency, but only one request. GCIC personnel have told me that directly (i.e., not hearsay). They may have lied to me, I do not know.

The more likely explanation is that it was on this lady's desk already, so she gave herself another week.
    :lol:

18. LDHH_MS

LDHH_MS Guest

Finally Got My Permit Today

I started this thread absolutely aggravated by the delay in getting my permit.

Today - January 24, 2007 I finally recieved my permit.

I applied on October 16, 2006, more than 3 months.

I hope the process is fixed before time to renew, or actually as soon as possible. I want to take my wife and some friends to get their permits and it is hard to tell people it is a simple process the way things stand now.

Thanks for all the replies.

19. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Guest

Couldn't stand it any longer!!!

Ok...Whew!!! Breathe.......In...Out.

I applied for my GFL in Fulton county on 12/12/06. Everything went very smooth. After reading the above posts about the frustrations with Fulton Co., I decided to make some calls today.
    I started out with GCIC and spoke with Cheryl at 404-244-2639 ext.2. She pulled up my info and shows where my GBI and FBI check were returned clean on 12/13/06 :shock: . That is ONE DAY after I did the digital prints.
    I called Mrs. Mayes (404-730-4640) at the Fulton Co. Probate a moment ago and she attempted to pull my records. It appears the Probate does not have the info back from the Atlanta PD :shock: . Hmmmmm........
    I just left a message with Joyce Manns(404-730-5700) at Atlanta PD to call me back. I will ask her if my results are back yet. I'm interested to hear her response. If she does have them, then why have they been sitting there since 12/13/06????? If she says she does not have them, I think we have a bigger problem here since Cheryl says they returned on 12/13/06.
    I'll post what Mrs. Manns says when she returns my call.