Fulton County Licensing Issues (Past 45 days)

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by jburn062, Aug 13, 2018.

1. jburn062

jburn062 New Member

Hi everyone!

I applied for a permit in June of this year at the North Fulton service center. I have no convictions and nothing on my record that would prohibit me from carrying a firearm.

Anyways, the 45 day mark came and went. I called in at the 30 day mark, and was told that the background check still hasn't come back from the Sandy Springs PD. I called at the 45 day mark, and was told that their fingerprinting system was down, and that they follow a 45-90 day guideline for the issuing of carry permits.

I've emailed with Toomer, the probate court judge, called everyone, and am at a loss. I do not know why they aren't following the law. It's unacceptable.

Anyways...am I the only one? Has anyone filed an injunction against Fulton county before? If so, what was your experience with it?

Thanks!

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:rotfl2:

Was it down when your fingerprints were taken? No? Then your check came back probably before you left the building, but, in any event, that same day.

And there is no "45-90 day guideline for the issuing of carry permits." They just made that up and provided it to you as a member of the gullible public.

Sandy Springs PD does have 20 days to give the report to the probate judge. I have no idea why they would take that long. Have you talked to Chief DeSimone to see why they held if for 30 days or more? Does he hold his officers to any accountability?

The probate judge must, by law, stamp the report when it is received with the date.

Judge Pinkie Toomer has only 10 days to issue from the receipt of the report.

The report comes back to Sandy Springs the same day for electronic prints. It happens in minutes, not hours or days or weeks or months. Minutes.

So find out who the hold up is.

Or call jrm, file a lawsuit, and let him find out who is holding up the process and who is lying and who is telling the truth through a litigation process called discovery.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018

3. jburn062

jburn062 New Member

It's interesting that you say that. I sent an email to the court, and the "Chief Clerk" came back with this:

I am following up on the email you sent to Judge Toomer earlier today expressing your concerns regarding the issuance of your weapons carry license.

Several weeks ago the system at the Georgia Criminal Information Center that produces the fingerprint-based criminal background checks was completely down for a number of days. As a result, there were no background checks generated during that time period and background checks since the system was restored have been delayed due to the backlog of requests. This is a situation that is beyond the control of the Probate Court. This Court is unable to issue any weapons carry license until we receive the criminal background check on the applicant or confirmation that the applicant has no criminal record.

Ms. Gates, the supervisor of the Licensing Division, has contacted the Sandy Springs Police Department and asked them to expedite your criminal background check. As soon as we receive your background check we will issue your license assuming there is no disqualifying information on your background check.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

We will provide you with an update when your background check is received by the Court.

4. Malum Prohibitum

So 10 days. Not 45-90 days.

If Sandy Springs police officers are holding the reports, I would want to know why, but I bet you discover that they are not holding the reports (why would they???).

I can predict where the holdup is.

I wonder why marriage licenses never get held up? Priorities and resources. The resources go to the priorities, and you, sir, are not theirs.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Have you noticed nobody in Coweta, Fayette, or Cobb is posting here with the same issue? Do they use another GCIC, different from Fulton?

Ok, so I just talked to GCIC. The person on the other end of the phone got quite a laugh out of this. They did go down for two days about a week and a half ago, which would of course have nothing at all to do with your background check from a couple of months ago, which, as I said above, would have come back on the same day, within minutes. GCIC also informed me that everything is running normally, and there are no delays in the return of background check information.

So, yes, there was a hiccup, but Pinkie Toomer's incompetent employees are milking it.

There is no relationship between the system going down for two days a week and a half ago and your license application.

Call Chief DeSimone. Tell him you do not want to add Sandy Springs to the lawsuit if they forwarded the report within the required 30 days, so you just want to know what date they reported to Judge Pinkie Toomer the results of your electronic fingerprint check performed on June _____, 2018.

6. jburn062

jburn062 New Member

I just got off the phone with Sandy Springs -- Actually, I think Toomer's staff is right. The hold-up is with them.

The staff there said that they have 60-90 days to issue findings from a background check and laughed when I suggested that they were not following the law. I'm guessing they either do not know the law, or do not care if they are complying with it.

My guess was the same as yours, but I think that Toomer and friends might not actually be the culprits here. Granted, they'll still probably take forever to issue it after it gets back (which, SSPD promised would be tomorrow) but at least I know they weren't lying about that part of this situation.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Did you ask for a supervisor? Work your way up the chain. Be diligent. There is no excuse for them to hold these things.

The law enforcement agency shall report to the judge of the probate court within 20 days, by telephone and in writing, of any findings relating to the applicant which may bear on his or her eligibility for a weapons carry license or renewal license under the terms of this Code section. When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required. The law enforcement agency shall return the application directly to the judge of the probate court within such time period.

OCGA 16-11-129(d)(4) https://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

Is that clear enough?

20 days. Not 60-90. Run it up the chain.

Also, I think you should call attorney John R. Monroe (what, he moved to Dawsonville??). Use the Georgia Bar Directory, here. https://www.gabar.org/MemberSearchDetail.cfm?ID=NTE2MTkz

8. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

Good advise you're getting here!

9. jburn062

jburn062 New Member

Agreed --- And it worked!

As of this morning, Sandy Springs both faxed and emailed the fine folks over at the Fulton county probate court. Everything is in order, the license has been approved. Now all they have to do is print and mail it.

Let's hope they can get that part right :p

Thanks Malum for your help. The advice was spot on. I ran it up the SSPD flagpole, asked for resolution within 24 hours from them, and they bolted quick on it. Hopefully there's some education mixed in, but I'm a bit skeptical.

If anyone else needs the emails I used, the contacts I used, or anything else, feel free to reach out.

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Typical govt. They tell you. Most just blindly follow along. Until someone squawks or questions them, they do as they choose. And the questioner problem is resolved and the rest slide by when they want them to move.

Nemo

11. Malum Prohibitum

Congrats, jburn062. I hope it flows smoothly from here on out.

Somebody at SSPD needs to get his act together.

12. wonderfvl

wonderfvl New Member

I feel your pain on the slow turn around at Fulton County North Service Center. The impression I got in the North Svc Ctr was 'it's gonna take forever if these ladies are running the show.' I applied for mine March 5th and received it yesterday (5/3). I know someone in Forsyth County that applied and got his in two weeks. Fulton County is a special place, lol.

13. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Just got mine last week. 85 days start to finish.

14. 1911

1911 7 Year Member

Mine was renewed in 10 days.