Fugitive Shot; Feds Thought Shoe Was Gun

Discussion in 'In the News' started by USMC - Retired, Oct 25, 2006.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Wednesday, October 25, 2006
    LITHONIA, Ga. — Federal agents fatally shot a fugitive early Wednesday after the man refused to put down what they thought was a gun but turned out to be a shoe. :shock:

Agents went to an apartment complex in suburban Atlanta to arrest 24-year-old Youwiers Vilpie, said U.S. Marshal Richard Mecum. They were serving a warrant from the Drug Enforcement Administration office in south Florida. Vilpie also was wanted for questioning in two homicides in Ft. Myers, Fla., Mecum said.

Agents first tried to use a Taser to stun him, but it wasn't effect, Mecum said.

He said Vilpie at some point emerged with"something in his hand and he pointed it at them."

"They weren't sure what it was because it was dark, and they thought it was a gun,"Mecum said."They told him several times,'Put it down, put it down, put it down,'and he wouldn't put it down and kept pointing it at them."

After the shooting, the agents discovered Vilpie had had his hand inside a shoe.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps the shoe was black with a pistol grip and a folding stock. Maybe even a bayonet lug or flash suppressor.

3. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

A shoe gun

Sarcasam on: It was really stuid to point an unloaded shoe at an officer.
    Or, why did he bring a shoe to a gun fight?
    Enough.
    At least he wont sit in jail on our money.
    TJ, :twisted: :twisted:

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Make sure you don't point duct tape at them either, I believe that is also a machine gun.

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I'm going to reserve judgment on this one, as I'm quite sure there's more to this story. At least it was a fugitive with warrants, as opposed to an Amadou Diallo, completely innocent type. (or was that Abner Louima, I get them confused. Either way, both are the finest hours of the NYPD).

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I agree about the judgment. The part about the taser being no effect, then sometime later he emerged with a shoe seems weird to me. Was he unarmed before the taser? If so, when the taser did not work, your already close why not just jump on him? Of coarse it could be that the reporter is the one screwing up the story.