FTF Sales in GA - need help

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by ffej, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ffej

ffej New Member

What is the legal responsibility of a GA resident seller to ensure that a FTF buyer is indeed a GA resident?
    I know some of us make out a bill of sale, check ID, etc, but some prefer to do nothing.
    If a FTF buyer does not check ID of the buyer, and that buyer is actually NOT a GA resident - is that a Federal Crime of some sort?

Thanks for any input on this question.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

In other words, can I, as a private seller, sell to an Alabammy resident?

I don't know! I have never thought to research such a thing, but it occurs to me that federal laws probably apply only to FFLs.

Does anybody know?

3. Malum Prohibitum

4. Malum Prohibitum

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, No

Yeah Malum, I think you've got the right Code section and subsection there. No, it's not legal. Here's an shortened edited version:

It's a federal felony for any person who is not a licensed dealer to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any other private person who is not a dealer

who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in the State in which the transferor resides....

except that this paragraph shall not apply to guns being tranferred (A) under the terms of a will or by operation of law for those who died without a valid will, or (B) the loan or rental of a firearm temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

6. ffej

ffej New Member

Thank you for the law research.
    It looks pretty clear.

7. Taurus

Taurus New Member

I buy alot thru Gunbroker.com , I have my C&R so any firearms on the C&R list , I can purchase and have transffered to directly to me from any state, and I can transfer to them as well.

But if it's a modern firearm or does nopt qualify for C&R , then the transfer needs to be done between two FFL gun dealers...There's usually a $20 - $30 fee on each side for the transfer....

Sellar brings gun to his dealer, they ship it to the the buyers dealer, and vice versa...