Re: FS: Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1 (Rome,GA)

Nice! Wish I had the spare cash...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: FS: Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1 (Rome,GA)

up and up

Moving to Savannah next week so anyintrested from that area can have a go at it as well.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have moved from Rome to Savannah and since I got my Hi Power Mini revolver sold (both to GP members, thanks fellas) I am taking this off the market.

·
Registered
285 Posts
<threadjack>

I'm trying to help a friend ID a weapon I think is an Enfield though it's incomplete and a bit beat up so it's making it hard to ID. Are there any good online resources for these rifles that would help me decipher the parks and other details?

Best of luck with the sale.

</threadjack>

·
Registered
123 Posts
The OP's is a pretty decent looking example of a No. 4 Mk I at a reasonable market price. Very fun to shoot and is a classic bit of history. I'd love to have another one myself (but love staying married more!).

There are usually stamps and marks all over the receiver and stock to help ID the weapon. These links should get you started. Caution: Lee-Enfields can be addictive!

http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/main.htm
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...-line-Knowledge-Libraries-(Index-of-Articles)

Quick Short Magazine Lee-Enfield ID: if the stock comes all the way up to the tip of the barrel it is likely a No. 1 Mk III (WWI-ish vintage) if the barrel protrudes past the stock (as in the one for sale here) it is probably a No. 4 Mk I (WWII-ish). Look on the wristband (the wide metal band between the butt and receiver) for info as to the date and origin. Most are stamped there. They were a lot made over a lot of years in a lot of different places such as England, Canada (Longbranch), USA (Savage), Australia (Lithgow), and India (Ishapore). As with anything, some years and makes are much sought after by collectors and some are not. If it says ShtLE or similar its older if it says SMLE it is newer. There was an even older "Long" Lee-Enfield prior to the "Short" LE. FWIW Be wary of anything advertised as a "Jungle Carbine" or No.5 Mk I unless you know what you are looking at, many are fakes.

Not to be confused with the (Enfield) US Rifle Model of 1917 which is a whole different bird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts