from packing.org

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I saw the below on PDO- From ST Pete Times

I bought a gun
    By BRENDAN WATSON
    Published April 22, 2007

Two days after the worst shooting in American history, I took possession of my first gun, a 9mm Taurus that holds a baker's dozen of bullets and weighs just over a pound. This weekend, my gun-owning neighbors and I went to the shooting range to practice.

I don't like guns. But I feel I need one. Before buying my first house in St. Petersburg, I had never feared for my safety.

Growing up in Chicago and St. Louis, I had many close associates who had been the victims of crimes, some serious. But I can't name a single person I knew who owned a handgun. Period.

I trusted my street smarts to handle most situations and the police to handle the rest.

I am young, age 25. To afford my first home, I bought a house west of Tropicana Field in Palmetto Park, which I knew had its share of crime. To stretch my pennies, I decided that despite knowing the neighborhood wasn't secure I could wait several months to install an expensive security alarm.

Not even two months later, my home was burglarized while I was at work. My roommate who worked nights was home sleeping.

The robbers took nearly everything of value from my home, down to rum from my freezer and a case of beer left over from my housewarming party just the weekend before.

Then they tried to enter my roommate's bedroom. Luckily, he'd locked the door before going to bed. When the door knob jiggled he assumed it was me wanting to talk about his dirty dishes or late rent. He called my name and the burglars fled. What would have happened if they had opened that door?

That question bounced around my brain until the police came.

Within months, I was reeling from another incident. Good friends of mine - a real estate agent who coordinates the neighborhood crime watch and his partner - woke one night to chunks of concrete being hurled through their kitchen window. Panicked, the real estate agent, another reluctant gun owner, emptied his 9mm into his back yard and garage. No one was hit, but the assailants who had jumped his fence, fled.

Another neighbor - also a crime watch coordinator - had his house firebombed. We were caught in a neighborhood battle between drug dealers and people who wanted to clean up the neighborhood.

I invited our community police officer to my house to discuss what additional security precautions to take. He said that after the burglary, I had really made all of the reasonable changes, including installing a security system and changing my door and window locks. He encouraged me to buy a gun.

I have very little experience with guns. My grandfather, a veteran of World War II, took pride in teaching my brother and me, his only two grandsons, some marksmanship.

When we visited him at his Wisconsin cottage with its long hallway, he'd line up cereal boxes several deep and draw a target on the last box. We'd shoot a BB gun from the other end of the hallway. When we got slightly older, he took us to an outdoor range and coached us with a .22-caliber rifle.

But the destructive appeal to a teenage boy of shooting soda cans off tree stumps long ago waned. I would have been content never to shoot a gun again. My brain knew that statistically, a gun in the home is more likely to kill a family member than an intruder. And even in the hands of a well-intentioned citizen, a gun can be stolen and used to commit another crime. The fewer guns on the street, the safer we'd all be.

So instead, I improved the lighting around my home so that it was lit like a night game at a minor-league baseball stadium and I adopted a black dog - 97 pounds of muscle and a bit intimidating. I got involved in our crime watch, started aggressively calling in suspicious activity into the police nonemergency line.

Every single time I have expressed concern for my personal safety, the police response was the same: Buy a gun and let your neighbors know you're not afraid to use it.

Instead, I redoubled my efforts to communicate with my neighbors and coordinate nonviolent means to enhance our safety.

Then another one of the new residents was robbed and assaulted in the alleyway behind my home as he cut through an abandoned lot next to mine.

His answer was to buy a .50-caliber revolver and get a concealed weapons permit. I started to feel some of the pack mentality and phony machismo that seem to have a strong influence over our cravings to own guns. Still, I resisted.

Slowly, though, I watched as my neighbors and I checked off our security precautions, and last resorts seemed increasingly inevitable.

Then one night in December, I was jolted awake by gunfire. Not unusual in my neighborhood in the northwest corner of Midtown, but these shots were right outside my bedroom window.

I hit the ground and couldn't find a phone, so I used the panic button on my alarm. Finally I found my cell phone and dialed 911 and reported possible gunfight erupting outside my house.

Living in fear makes it difficult to separate perceived danger from actual. It felt like eternity lying on my belly, waiting for police to respond.

My roommate moved out because he didn't feel safe. I started to research buying a gun. I wanted to have another option other than praying that the police would arrive in time.

I spent hours and hours over several months researching guns. Family, friends and co-workers tried to convince me it would be better to simply move out of the neighborhood. And they're right. But where can I live?

The reality is, my neighborhood is a rare affordable option for myself and many others. And if residents willing to invest in their communities abandon these areas, the criminals who are accustomed to controlling these places win. A small minority of residents has been able to intimidate others, who hide in their homes. Those who can afford to, move at the first opportunity.

I don't want to contribute to a dangerous Wild West dynamic that has been created in the neighborhood, where outlaws largely operate in the open and emotionally drained neighbors have been encouraged to take up arms.

But I have to do something to protect myself. When you're scared, issues that once seemed simple, aren't anymore.

On the advice of a couple of gun shops, I went to a shooting range and fired a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver and a Glock 9mm.

The revolver's recoil was more up and down rather than front to back, which made it harder to keep the weapon on target and group multiple shots.

I actually surprised myself with my accuracy with the Glock. Shooting it dissolved some of the tension I had built up about owning a gun.

Yet, I flinched every time someone around me shot their gun, and I felt like I was tiptoeing on an emotional bed of pins and needles, torn between a feeling of empowerment and fright.

Finally, about 10 days ago, I decided to buy a gun. After the waiting period, I picked it up Wednesday and fired it the first time the next day.

I'm really not comfortable having it in my house, but I promised myself I'll keep the weapon locked in a safe and will get as much training and practice as I can. I may apply for a concealed weapons permit.

Still, it's still hard to imagine that owning a gun offers anything but a false sense of security, which comes from the sheer power of the weapon. Sometimes, though, even a false sense of security is enough to keep a person from coming unglued.

I can just hope that I never actually have to use my gun in self-defense.

[Last modified April 21, 2007, 19:30:03]

2. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

It's not the legal responsibility of the police to protect you. Read the U.S. Supreme Court decision Deshaney v Winnebago (Feb 1989).

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It still appeals to this middle-aged man! :D

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Never seen one of those... is that like the Glock 7 revolver?

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey Ramm! Here it is:

http://www.policeone.com/police-product ... ses/59673/

02/17/2003
    Smith & Wesson Introduces New .50 Caliber Magnum Revolver

Most Powerful Production Revolver Ever Made

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Feb 13, 2003 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The legendary 150-year-old handgun maker, Smith & Wesson Corp., a subsidiary of Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (AMEX: SWB) today introduced the largest and most powerful production revolver ever made along with eight other new products at the 2003 Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show in Orlando, Florida.

The new 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum(R) revolver is chambered for the new .50 caliber 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum(R) cartridge.

"The 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum is a natural progression of our leadership role in handgun development," said Roy Cuny, president and CEO of Smith & Wesson Corp. "Smith & Wesson has a strong customer contingency of hunting and shooting enthusiasts that are continually looking to us for innovation. We produced the original Magnum(R) revolver with the introduction of the .357 Magnum in 1935 and 20 years later amazed the shooting world with the .44 Magnum. Now in 2003, we have once again produced a premier hunting revolver with no equal."

The newly introduced 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum cartridge produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 Magnum round, which far exceeds all other handgun cartridges.

Based on orders to date from Smith & Wesson dealers, production on the new .50 caliber revolver has been increased. "The demand has far surpassed our original expectations," said Cuny.

Industry Response

Recently editors and writers from the firearm industry and outdoor publications previewed the new 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum revolver and the 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum cartridge at the Smith & Wesson state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Springfield, Massachusetts. "I have no doubt that within a year our members will have used this new Smith & Wesson revolver and cartridge in Africa on the world's most dangerous game", said Steve Comus, director of publications for Safari Club International.

"This firearm offers the confidence required when hunting the world's most challenging animals with a handgun," Comus concludes.

"The new Smith & Wesson Corporation has proved its capabilities, not only with the introduction of the 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum(R) revolver, but with the extensive line of products it is bringing to market in 2003," said Roy Huntington, editor of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER. "The Company, under its new leadership, has made a commitment to its core products - and to its customers."

Russ Thurman, editor of SHOOTING INDUSTRY, an industry trade publication stated, "It is exciting to see so many new products come from one manufacturer in one year. I believe dealers and consumers will find this line- up of products quite interesting."

Click here for more information on the Model 500

More New Products

Smith & Wesson will also be launching the most extensive introduction of new products seen in over a decade at the 2003 SHOT Show in Orlando, Florida, February 13-16, 2003. In addition to the 500 Magnum press, dealers and distributors will see the latest in the Scandium Series revolvers, the SW1911, new rimfire revolvers and new SW99 pistols. For more information, visit the Smith & Wesson website at www.smith-wesson.com.

About Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation

Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation is the parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., one of the world's leading producers of quality handguns, law enforcement products and firearm safety and security products. Law enforcement personnel, military personnel, target shooters, hunters, collectors and firearms enthusiasts throughout the world have used the Company's products with confidence for 150 years. Smith & Wesson Corp. also manufacturers and markets Smith & Wesson branded handcuffs and other products utilizing its metal working expertise. For more information, visit http://www.smithandwesson.com

Safe Harbor Statement

Statements in this press release about the company's future expectations, including: success of the 500 revolver and all other statements in this release, other than historical facts, are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, section 21E of the Securities Act of 1934, as that term is defined in the Private Securities Reform Act of 1995. It is important to note that actual results and ultimate corporate actions could differ materially from those in such forward-looking statements based on such factors as softening of consumer demand based on national or political events or based on consumers' personal satisfaction or desire for our products for a variety of reasons (style, quality, etc.); or the inability to leverage the name "Smith & Wesson" in the licensing categories selected by management to pursue; or a perceived or actual decline in the quality of products produced, among other factors. Such "forward-looking statements" are subject to risks and uncertainties set forth from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-KSB for the year ended April 30, 2002 and Forms 10-QSB for the quarters ending July 31, 2002 and October 31, 2002.

Media Relations:
    Ken Jorgensen, 413/747-3299
    kjorgensen@smith-wesson.com

Smith & Wesson

6. maddog

maddog New Member

Dang I have been watching for one of the Wildey .475 but may settle for one of the 50's.... It's a minor cannon

7. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

OK direct fire is great, does it do indirect fire?

Darn hand cannon for sure :D

8. Sharky

Sharky New Member

9. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I have seen one of those 500 Mags... It is a beast... I am terrified of it!

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I have one of the .45/.410 revolvers on my I eventually want list. Know I need to get a look at one of these .50's and see if that is going to change.
    :)

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I had a guy shoot a 50 S&W beside me at a range before.

1. It was LOUD
    2. It was making me vibrate every shot he took.
    3. I had to quit shooting while he had the 50 out... so did most others on the line... it was LOUD.

That is without a doubt a hand cannon. I say that because it is the only pistol I have been around (357 mag included), that when fired you really feel it inside as well as hear it... just like a real cannon.

12. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I still jump when some .45s are shot so I would probably have to leave if they shot a beast like the .410 or.50