Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

From Kansas, moving to Georgia.

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  ICP_Juggalo 
#1 ·
I will be moving to Georgia in the next ~45 days. My home just sold and I have to be out by 11/1. Obviously I'm a new member here but I have been very active in the Kansas ccw forums, I conceal carry, I've taken many POST training classes (I'm not a LEO), and I hunt.

Kansas and Georgia don't appear to have any reciprocity and I need to get a new Georgia license (driving and conceal carry). Not sure where I will move to, but probably in the northern side of Atlanta. I have some first timeer GA questions.
1. - Any good recommendations on a good conceal carry instructor in the area?
2. - Any one know where I can get questions answered in regards to any waiting periods, or what I need to do now to get a GA conceal carry license as soon as possible? I have a CCW from Kansas, not sure if that helps or harms.

About me -
I'm another Glock fan, own two G26s. I carry as often and everywhere I can. I love taking gun classes from good instructors (hand gun combat, wounded shooter classes, night classes, fighting from a vehicle, etc.) I own a few shotguns and other rifles too, and love to hunt about anything. I have three very young kids who have worked with BB guns for a while, and now just upgraded to a .22 rifle. All my kids are under 10, but trying to teach them the art of shooting, and respect for guns at a young age.

Hope to get to know and meet some of you some time.

Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Matt

If you are looking for that Instructor as a requirement for obtaining your license... No such requirement
here in Georgia.

The License in Georgia isn't a "Concealed Carry Permit" per se. It is a license to carry - Open or Concealed.

At the top of the forums page is a link to the GA gun law, excellent reading... and will answer most of your questions (and then some) - we will be glad to help with the rest. You'll also find the information about obtaining your license at the top...

Welcome to Georgia and Georgia Packing.... :righton:

#7 ·
Matt Hammer said:
I hunt.

Not sure where I will move to, but probably in the northern side of Atlanta. I have some first timeer GA questions.
may want to check into what areas around atlanta are archery only. i dont know if you bow hunt, but my understanding is there are not alot of hunting oppertunities close to atlanta where you can use a firearm.

south georgia is awesome for hunting, and our seasons are longer here int he southern part of the state.

also, i hope you enjoy your stay in georgia.

#11 ·
Welcome from another Kansan (moved here 9 years ago from Salina/Manhattan). I believe the pertinent GWL info was already addressed or eluded to in the first couple of posts.

As far as hunting goes, get to know people or pay up. I used to have thousands of acres of family land or friends' land to hunt back home for free. Here it is mostly either govt (be very careful of the others out there :shock: ) or hunt clubs/leases. Sad to say, but I haven't been once since I moved here. :(

#12 ·
USMC - Retired said:
Welcome aboard Matt. What part of Kansas are you coming from? I grew up in eastern Kansas (Johnson County).
I'm from Wichita. I'm used to driving ~ 2 hours or more to get away from the Wichita hunting crowd. My wife has family near Dodge City, and we go there often to hunt. I also understand that there isn't any Pheasant hunting in GA, but other birds are here, and Kansas doesn't have hog hunting, so something I'd like to try.

#17 ·
ArnoldsPupil1964 said:
Moved from Peabody near Wichita to Douglasville 5 years ago. You will love it here having hunted in KS...Ga is great and so different.
Have to be a resident for 6 months to apply for your GWL
Welcome
I assume that all or most counties are the same but Gwinnett only requires 90 days (3 months).

http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/#courtsjudges_probate/ said:
Be a Permanent Resident and provide a valid Georgia Driver's License or Georgia State issued picture I.D. card, a Permanent Resident Card, and proof of your 90-day residency (Example: You must provide three months of an original utility bill, rental receipts, etc., in your name immediately preceding the date of application.

#18 ·
Matt Hammer said:
I also understand that there isn't any Pheasant hunting in GA, but other birds are here, and Kansas doesn't have hog hunting, so something I'd like to try.
We may not have a Pheasant season here in Georgia, but there certainly are places to hunt Pheasant in this great state. Liberty Hill offer Pheasant and just about anything else you want to hunt and it's not far from Atlanta. The owner, Rob Petry, is a GCO member as well. I have hunted pheasant and quail many times there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.