Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
68,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Georgia: There is no state-wide data base. The Fulton County (Atlanta) court clerk in charge of issuance in that county estimates the number of outstanding permits to carry handguns concealed at 190,800 state-wide. Based on Georgia's 1990 population of 6,478,216, this is one license for every 34 residents.

University of Colorado Law Review, Symposium, Crime is Not the Problem: Lethal Violence in America
Issues Arising from the New Book by Franklin E. Zimring & Gordon Hawkins
vol. 69, no. 4, 1998: 969.

·
68,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
artz said:
A 1 to 1 ratio should suffice ! 8)
Too many violent criminals!

We also should exclude lunatics . . .

Based on the statute, too, we must exclude from the count children and a whole host of other people, so that the ratio of licenses to those eligible is actually a lot lower.

·
Registered
206 Posts
shoulda stated it different. All I am saying is, for every bad guy there should be a good guy with a gun...

·
68,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh! Gotcha. :lol:

Still, that is a whole lotta licenses. Now, if we could just get 200,000 license holders to be politically active . . .

:sly:

:help:

·
Professional Troll
2,151 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Remember the people exempted under 16-11-130 which are more legal gun carryers "on the street" and the fact that many of them also have a GFL too, though it isn't needed.
Many get it just as extra legal backup and the fact that it used to let you be exempt from the backround check (hopefully again) when buying a gun and it expands your carry rights out of state. I know of several people who do this.
I bet a LARGE percentage of people who carry under 16-11-130 also have a valid GFL.
He is right. When I worked for the Sheriff's Office I was urged to go ahead and apply for a "pistol toters' permit" if I hadn't done so already, even though technically I didn't need one. I asked why I needed one and my major replied until I became mandated, if I ever need to go out of the county on S/O business, it would show to other LEO that I was authorized by the county to carry a pistol if I was stopped and asked.

Once you become mandated you get what's called a "bubba card" where it states that you have become P.O.S.T. certified to handle a firearm and it says that the holder of the card is exempt from the firearm statutes of the state according to O.C.G.A. 16-11-130. What's even more cool ,IIRC, is that if you retire after 12 years of LEO service you gat a "bubba card" for the rest of your life. Unfortunately I never made it that far :? Heck, I never even received my "bubba card" when I worked there :( Sucks working for a poor county :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts