From an Article by Don Kates

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Malum Prohibitum, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Georgia: There is no state-wide data base. The Fulton County (Atlanta) court clerk in charge of issuance in that county estimates the number of outstanding permits to carry handguns concealed at 190,800 state-wide. Based on Georgia's 1990 population of 6,478,216, this is one license for every 34 residents.

University of Colorado Law Review, Symposium, Crime is Not the Problem: Lethal Violence in America
    Issues Arising from the New Book by Franklin E. Zimring & Gordon Hawkins
    vol. 69, no. 4, 1998: 969.

2. artz

artz New Member

A 1 to 1 ratio should suffice ! 8)

3. Malum Prohibitum

Too many violent criminals!

We also should exclude lunatics . . .

Based on the statute, too, we must exclude from the count children and a whole host of other people, so that the ratio of licenses to those eligible is actually a lot lower.

4. artz

artz New Member

shoulda stated it different. All I am saying is, for every bad guy there should be a good guy with a gun...

5. Malum Prohibitum

Oh! Gotcha. :lol:

Still, that is a whole lotta licenses. Now, if we could just get 200,000 license holders to be politically active . . .

:sly:

:help:

6. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

He is right. When I worked for the Sheriff's Office I was urged to go ahead and apply for a "pistol toters' permit" if I hadn't done so already, even though technically I didn't need one. I asked why I needed one and my major replied until I became mandated, if I ever need to go out of the county on S/O business, it would show to other LEO that I was authorized by the county to carry a pistol if I was stopped and asked.

Once you become mandated you get what's called a "bubba card" where it states that you have become P.O.S.T. certified to handle a firearm and it says that the holder of the card is exempt from the firearm statutes of the state according to O.C.G.A. 16-11-130. What's even more cool ,IIRC, is that if you retire after 12 years of LEO service you gat a "bubba card" for the rest of your life. Unfortunately I never made it that far :? Heck, I never even received my "bubba card" when I worked there :( Sucks working for a poor county :roll: