Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

FreedomPhone

2K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  rmodel65 
#1 ·
Is anyone familiar with this product?
Anyone here have one or knows someone who has or had it?
Thanks in advance for any information.

Freedom Phone

#2 ·
What kind of phone is it? Samsung A-51 or S-20 or ? ? ?

But the carriers still have records and work with the govt.

I would be more considered with the carrier than the actual phone initially.

How does swapping SIM card do anything regarding privacy?

Nemo

from link above

Works with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, & Sprint, and all other domestic & international carriers. Move phones over in 60 seconds as soon as the phone arrives.

#5 ·
Yep - very shady website.

Looks like a neat idea, though. Anything to get away from Google is GOOD. However, the phone is too damned big. As long as reasonably-sized phones are still available, I refuse to buy a phone that I cannot put in one of those little side phone pockets in Wrangler jeans or shorts, since I have a bad habit of bumping door jambs. Plus, a bigass phone on a belt holster looks goofy as hell.

#9 ·
Right now, there's a whole micro-industry based on predation of conservatives/conspiracy nuts/etc, because those folks (many of whom are seasoned in years) are easy pickin's. Offhand, I'd say anything which bills itself as "for liberty" or "anti-censorship" or "non-PC" are worth some healthy scrutiny... I'm talking crapfests like GETTR, etc.

My guess is that "Freedom Phone" falls in this category.

If I wanted a consumer solution to privacy (ie. as opposed to a DIY effort), I would look at Purism's products, like their Librem 5 phone. It's run by folks with a track record of interest in privacy and security.

DH

#12 ·
The Freedom Phone is an opportunist scam.

The phone is reliably 'outed' as a relatively inexpensive Chinese model, offered at a $300 premium. Phone hardware itself can open you to vulnerabilities and security issues. There's zero information at the manufacturer's website that talks about the hardware itself.

The OS claims to be FreedomOS. There's been a phone OS around for some time with that name, but it's not clear whether the two are the same, or related in any way. Again, there's zero information at the manufacturer's site that talks about this.

The applications - are not listed - so it's hard to tell what will load, won't load, or is already loaded on this device. This is another red flag.

Real Talk: Figure out what you want to use your phone for. Recognize that your behavior on that phone can and will give rise to metadata that can be used by the authorities for parallel construction. Using appropriate apps (available on your google device) you can often find a secure-enough product for communication itself (Briar, Signal, Threema etc) and in some cases, you'll be able to obscure SOME of your metadata, and usually most or all of your human communication.

Assume everything is compromised. The principles of covert low-tech communication is the same. Establish small cells that - if compromised - minimally impact other cells in the network. Don't be "chatty". Don't develop a pattern of behavior that allows your adversary to predict your future actions.

EVEN IF the Freedom Phone was legitimate and trustworthy, (it isn't), you shouldn't ignore the above principles.

#19 ·
The founder/maker/bitcoin millionaire Eric Finmann appeared on Fox News at 0853 this morning.

The phone is made in Hong Kong.

He tried to make in the U.S. but there is no phone manufacturing source here.

Its an Android, with the google stuff washed out from the open source Android OS with other adjustments creating the Freedom OS.

Those are statements from the 3 minute interview. It should be watchable on their site fairly soon.

Nemo

Reactions: Bkite
#25 ·
I used them (Faraday pouches) every day when I used to have to travel for work. They have their uses, but they're not always able to stop all signals from a phone. I've seen demonstrations of bluetooth (and other devices) access thru' them, for example.

Keeping up to date on all the equipment out there which can be used to infer your location, coupled with ensuring that the Faraday pouch is still leakproof (which can be difficult if the bag has been folded one too many times in one place) is a chore, so a device that can be disabled is to be preferred. The net result is the same. You can't be tracked by the device, but on the other hand, you can't respond to communications interactively.

#26 ·
My first phone was on a party line with 13 other rural families. You picked it up to see if anybody was on it before dialing. Very seldom was anybody on the line. It stayed that way till the late 70's. We fared very well thank you.

Reactions: TimBob
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.