Free Guitar Lesson

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I'd like to offer one person one free 45 minute guitar lesson via Facebook Messenger. Preferably a beginner, but will consider others depending on if I think I can help you.

Please PM me with your experience level, what you're having trouble with that you'd like to improve, and what new things you'd like to learn.

Not the first PM I get but the best fit will get the lesson.

I may offer other free lessons from the list of PM's I get.

My personal playing level is a mix of intermediate/pro (mostly the first) depending on what I'm playing. But my theory knowledge is fairly advanced.

The speed at which I'm learning now is faster than ever before, and I think it's because I'm learning things now that I wish I had learned as a beginner, so I hope to pass on some wise old experience.

Although I started playing at 14, I got bored and gave up the guitar for many years. July of 2015, I picked it back up and play now better than I ever did. Not bad for a guy in his 50's. :)

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I've always had a fascination with guitar, but the perfectionist and knowledge hog in me prevents me from even thinking about picking one up. Still I like to look at music theory, guitar/bass instructional videos, etc. and stumbled across this one a couple of days ago that I thought was interesting as Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite guitarist (although I have many):
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg[/ame]

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Mark is one of my favorite guitarists as well, in my old age, along with my current number one favorite of Lee Ritenour (whom I met not long ago at a concert of his, and who was on American Bandstand years ago with Dick Clark), and Robben Ford.

When I was a kid, Roy Clark and Glenn Campbell were my favorites.

Please don't let perfectionism keep you from the enjoyment of playing. Tell yourself it isn't supposed to be perfect, it's supposed to be fun. :)

It's one of those things where even pros always feel like they are still beginners, because the learning journey never ends. But as you learn and play more, the pace of learning gets faster and the playing gets easier, but at the same time you see how much longer the road has gotten in the meantime.

But that's part of the fun. I'm learning more every day merely by just being curious. Even now just taking a short break from work to type this, I learned a new chord form by serendipity that sounds really cool.

The strange thing with guitar is in three months you can learn to play well all the chords you need to write a million songs, yet, you will never learn all there is to know about the instrument.

Don't cheat yourself out of quite an adventure!