Fred Thompson

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 1, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.christianchronicle.org/modul ... le&sid=662

2. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

i don't care what religion someone is as long as I think they can do the job and do it well..

3. Malum Prohibitum

Well, I did not post it for that reason, but to fill in information from what I posted last time.

Some people DO care, of course, but I was more interested in setting the record straight. He does not appear to have remained steadfast in his faith (divorced, remarried in a "United Church of Christ"- if you pplug that and child molester into the search engine . . . , and nobody has seen him in a congregation in 20 years, it looks like).

I stated that Dobson may have been influenced by the fact that Thompson was a member of the church of Christ when Dobson made his statement, but it appears that Dobson may have hit the nail on the head, as it appears that Thompson has failed to remain faithful - I say "appears" because I am just reading stuff off the internet.

4. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I don't hold a divorce against anyone... sometimes life's events make you do things you wish you didn't have to.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

life forces people to get married?

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

what is church of christ? are they even more crazy or something?

7. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

no butthead you know what I mean!

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Ever heard of a shotgun wedding?

9. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I have a couple of friends who go to a church of Christ. Don't confuse this with the United Church of Christ.

church of Christ people usually don't hold to a specific doctrine other than the Bible. They typically don't have creeds and statements of faith other than the Scriptures. They also don't have a central headquarters like most denominations do, like Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, etc... They are usually locally run and independent of one another, yet connected because of the Bible. Usually more conservative people.

The United Church of Christ is more of a progressive/liberal organization. They "embrace" all people regardless of their beliefs. A very inclusive group.

I believe Fred Thompson goes to a church of Christ (conservative)
    I believe Barack Obama goes to a United Church of Christ (progressive/liberal)

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

:D

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up, iwb32.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Crazy, crazy! :screwy: You may examine their crazy views here.

(I am kidding, of course).

In fairness, though, it does not look like he is currently a member. I do not know for sure.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

:rotfl:

14. Malum Prohibitum

I do not kow whether it will matter in terms of running for President (I think we had one divorced President before - Reagan). But divorce is extremely uncommon within churches of Christ (which is unusual compared to denominational churches, in my experience). I pointed to his divorce as only one indicator of whether he is still a member (the others being his marriage in a United Church of Christ building, of all places, and the fact that people do not report him attending local congregations of the church of Christ in the areas where he is living). These all tend to indicate negatively.

As to the actual divorce issue, I have no idea whether his divorce was sriptural:
    Matt. 19:3-9 (ESV)

The force of the original verb, "commits," in the original language connotes a continuing action.

I repeat this here only because so few people with a religious affiliation understand what Jesus taught on divorce and remarriage, in spite of the fact that there are only a few simple verses addressing the subject, and, as iwb32 pointed out, members of the church of Christ "don't hold to a specific doctrine other than the Bible."

Again, I have no idea if his divorce was motivated by his wife's adultery.

I was only pointing these things out as evidence tending to show, one way or the other, whether he is indeed, currently a faithful member of the church.

And the only reason for pointing this out at all, i.e., whether he is currently a member, is that I had earlier accused Dobson of simply having a bone to pick with Thompson for being a member of the church of Christ. Now I am not even sure that he is . . . I reacted only to Thompson's staff person's answer to the press . . .

15. Malum Prohibitum

:lol:

16. Malum Prohibitum

He was a cosponsor of McCain-Feingold. :shock:

That is a deal buster for me.

I am leaning toward Duncan Hunter.

17. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Why?
    I will admit that I don't really know much about that Bill other than it was for campaign refinance (and Wiki isn't helpful at all).

I'm seriously leaning towards Thompson at this point.
    Heard on Rush today that in the latest pole he is pulling 14% & he has not even officially announced yet.