Fred Thompson to announce Presidential Bid

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by gsusnake, May 30, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/4243.html

Fred Dalton Thompson is planning to enter the presidential race over the Fourth of July holiday, announcing that week that he has already raised several million dollars and is being backed by insiders from the past three Republican administrations, Thompson advisers told The Politico.

We can only hope.

Maybe a Fred Thompson-Ron Paul ticket?

2. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

I can't wait. Run Fred Run.

We'll see how this works out but I think Duncan Hunter (CA) would be an unbeatable ticket.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

4. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Yes, it does worry me. That being said, I'm glad to see some new hope. While I like some of the others out there (e.g., Huckabee), the frontrunners and those with a real chance of winning are not inspiring to me.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm worried about McCain Feingold. I don't want to a president that will be weak on any of the constitutional amendments.

I don't agree with Guiliani, McCain, or Romney on several issues. Hunter, Paul, and Huckabee are starting to look like long shots for the nomination. Gingrich is looking more and more like he's going to sit out the election. If my choices are Guiliani, McCain, Romney, or Thompson, Thompson will get my vote.

With the exception of supporting McCain Feingold, I could see a Thompson/Hunter, Thompson/Huckabee, or even a Thompson/Gingrich ticket, being hard for the Dems to beat.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That'll happen when democrats start loving guns.

...but I hope it does. It'd be the best presidency ever. ever.

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

8. pyromaster

pyromaster New Member

Sort of. However, he has said that the version he supported isn't what became law and that he has issues with it. Whether he truly believes this or is just being a politician will be seen.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/03/18/fred-thompson-on-taxes-mccain-feingold-iraq/

-Jeff, who is pro Thompson

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Unfortunately, nobody's perfect.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

If you look at any politico loong enough you are going to find warts, especially if one was in a legislative body as their voting record can be manipulated and their vote trading to get pet legislation passed can come back to haunt them.

FT has some warts, but he brings a name recognition and star power that most of the current crop of republicans doesn't.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm probably still casting my vote for Dr. Ron Paul at this point.

13. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

What's wrong with Fred Thompson? He's at least more than decent. I'm with him on all the issues I care about. He is the most electable of the ones I would actually vote for. If it's Guiliani, McCain, Romney etc... I'll write in Ron Paul. Maybe Homer Simpson. Or Samuel Colt.

14. pyromaster

pyromaster New Member

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, yesterday I sat maybe 75 feet away from Fred Thompson and listened to him say that he had already made up his mind on whether he was going to run, that he would not say what his decision was, but that if he was not running he would not be running around doing everything he was doing, but that nothing was final until an announcement, and that he was winding up commitments and getting people upon whom he would rely to wind up commitments.

He also said the folks in Iowa must be getting sick of all the early campaigning.

When asked about the attacks on him already, he said, "They know who to be scared of."

I will forgive him the obvious subject - object confusion as well as having ended the sentence with a preposition.

16. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

So how do you feel about GW?

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Fred needs to :censored: or get off the pot.

18. merlock

merlock New Member

+1