Frangible 5.56mm Ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by moe mensale, Aug 10, 2020.

1. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I'm researching frangible 5.56mm ammo. Does anyone have any specific brand recommendations (even if it's currently not available)? Has anyone actually used any before? Any issues with use in a semi-auto rifle, specifically an AR-15 type? Has anybody take any game with it? General pros and cons?

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Remington, DRT and a few others have been used by me. They all perform just fine in my AR style rifles. I also use DRT in my .308 Remington bolt action rifle with a reasonable degree of accuracy. the only thing I can suggest being aware of when using frangible in an AR is to make sure they are properly lubed. If the rifle is in need of a cleaning or is light on the lube it will not give you the best performance. Never used it for taking game since I have not hunted with it. A con is since it turns to dust I don't really think it would be a good idea to use it for taking game for food. This would make it impossible to remove it from the meat prior to consuming it. Another Con is the price. It is very expensive 5.56 being around $28 for 20 rounds. The only other con that comes to mind is the projectile is on the fragile side and can be broken off at just about any point from the tip to the brass.

At WWT we use a lot of the frangible ammo in both AR and AK style rifles. This is due to the fact the range is only rated for pistol calibers and using frangible is the only way we can allow rifles on the range.

3. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Generally speaking frangible ammo is not suited at all for taking game. It’s just not effective for anything other than small varmints. Used on deer sized game your going to lose a lot of animals.

4. moe mensale

$1.40/round? For frangible? What brand are you referring to?

5. DKW

DKW Active Member

MAC did a recent video on .556 penetration of house walls. In the video he used both standard ammo and frangible ammo.

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The Brand is the Remington we have at the range. With ammo prices the way they are and as hard as the National Police Ammo is to find it's the best we could get out hands on. The National Police Ammo in 7.62X39 I think runs about $1.00 per round for the AK... We do have DRT 9mm Frangible hollow points 20 round box $35.

7. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

With that I ask the question if it's no good on say a 250 lb white tail then what good is it on a 250 lb man? I ask out of complete ignorance of the round as until this thread I had never heard of the round. Is it another don't want to go through walls sort of thing or a more humane way to kill if such a theory exist? It would seem to end the issue of tracking what is left in the body back to anything.

8. moe mensale

Thanks for posting that! :righton: I was unsure of the penetration ability of frangible ammo on, uh, drywall.

9. DKW

DKW Active Member

When you read some comment from the video, there are some good points made about how close the drywall is to reach other compared to how a house would be set up (I.e once it goes through a wall, there is a lot more space to another wall vs how the test was set up). This would probably effect the frangible bullet more that the standard one.

Still a pretty interesting test though.

10. DKW

DKW Active Member

What I thought was pretty neat is how the frangible bullet acted like shell shot once it started going through the wall sections.

11. moe mensale

Especially if the frangible ammunition is coupled with a brass catcher. It would seem to open a new world of "opportunities" should a particular need arise. I don't know for sure but I'm of the opinion that the military doesn't use all that frangible stuff they buy only in shoot houses or steel targets.

This is the frangible shown in the MAC video.
    https://www.tactical-life.com/news/federal-ammunition-contract-army/

12. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

I've never shot at a formal range or an indoor range so I guess that round would work well for that environment and not tear up the place. Expensive shooting I would think.

13. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

I have no personal experience, I am quoting several articles I have read down through the years. Range is one factor , reliable penetration, reaction to hitting bone. Basically it was scoring a quick humane kill shot was an iffy thing . With the bad guy who cares . Me personally I wouldn’t use it in a self defense capacity for the same reason. If possible I want one shot to do the job. I also do not have to worry about penetrating walls. Nobody hear but myself and the wife and the nearest neighbors are several hundred feet away through heavy woods. I have also noted for the most part hollow points are generally not used or recommended for hunting. The best loads will expand reliably and penetrate clean through.

14. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

With a good shot on a 250 pound white tail it is very effective and is just as effective on a 250 pound man. The problem is if you are hunting white tail for a food source there will be a lot of spoiled meat. I'm sure most people here (maybe not?) have heard the term exploding bullets. This is the term anti gun idiots use to describe frangible. Frangible ammo leaves so many wound channels they are impossible to clean up. As for the more humane I think it would be less humane because it leaves such a series of untraceable wounds doctors can't even begin to clean them up.

15. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I'm not a hunter but I think in Georgia you are required to use expanding bullets which would leave out FMJ but include hollow points asw being acceptable for hunting.

16. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Hollow points are legal but a well constructed soft point will do a better job. Take a look at all the hunting bullet construction. You will not see any hollow points loaded for hunting caliber rifles. You find them for handguns used for hunting because they are loaded for double duty. Self defense or hunting. True hunting ammo for handguns are also solid cast bullets.

17. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

What won’t penetrate sheet rock will not penetrate bone.

18. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Who claimed frangible would not penetrate sheet rock? If someone did they are wrong.

19. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Then I stand corrected.

20. DKW

DKW Active Member

Watch the video i linked above. not only will it penetrate sheet rock, it will penetrate multiple layers of sheet rock.