Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16-12-123
(b) Any person who boards or attempts to board an aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle with any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as such term is defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense concealed on or about his or her person or property which is or would be accessible to such person while on the aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years. The prohibition of this subsection shall not apply to any law enforcement officer, peace officer retired from a state or federal law enforcement agency, person in the military service of the state or of the United States, or commercial security personnel employed by the transportation company who is in possession of weapons used within the course and scope of their employment; nor shall the prohibition apply to persons transporting weapons contained in baggage which is not accessible to passengers if the presence of such weapons has been declared to the transportation company and such weapons have been secured in a manner prescribed by state or federal law or regulation for the purpose of transportation or shipment.
Ok, my reading of this says that it is legal to open carry on board. Also that LEO's, Retired LEO's and Military are exempt.

Then I go to 16-12-127 and it says:
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intention of avoiding or interfering with a security measure or of introducing into a terminal any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense, to:
(1) Have any such item on or about his or her person
Now to me that means that open nor concealed carry is not allowed at a terminal, but if that is true then LEO's, Retired LEO's and Military are not exempt either because they are not listed in this code section.

So, if I am correct, licensees can open carry on a bus (and military can conceal on the bus) as long as you do not board or get off the bus at a terminal or regular stop.
A non-terminal stop would be even harder to do on a subway.

Got to love Georgia's confusing and conflicting laws.

·
68,968 Posts
Sure, and we can openly carry explosives onto the bus, too, right? :roll: :?

·
68,968 Posts
How about parking lots? They are part of the definition of terminal in 16-12-122.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just don't park near the terminal.

That way you have more of a chance of either getting robbed while walking to/from your car or getting your car broken into and having the firearm stolen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts