forums slow

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by mark5019, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

i can enter no problem, just when i want to read a thread it takes long time. it used to only do that late at night :(

2. a-squared

a-squared New Member

This happening for anyone else currently? Forums are quite slow for me.

3. SAXD2003

SAXD2003 New Member

slow for me also

4. JMan

JMan New Member

It has been an off and on thing ever since I joined . I just have gotten used to it :wink:

5. a-squared

a-squared New Member

Seem to have crashed a few times tonight for me as well...

6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

This isn't that uncommon during the peak usage times (prime time).

7. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

It's been real slow last 2 weeks...finding myself logging on less....just have less patience with old age.....

8. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

This place is always slow. Always. [​IMG]

9. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

My current wait time is 20-30 seconds. I think the server is in a dank basement on a 56k line. I have a 12mb line and it's still sucks.

10. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Not one corporate ad. I don't agree with half the people here, but it's plenty fast enough for me. I may visit 1-2 times per week.

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

A few minutes ago the forum was not letting me in; I was getting a denied connection error. Seems to be ok now.

12. Match10

Match10 Active Member

This place is seriously handicapped by the server. The site is slower than molasses in winter. During peak hours, it just won't load. Either the server is not up to it, or something else.

It could be search spiders and and other malcontents doing excessive queries or something. My own server has suffered a DoS attack for the last month and I had to take extereme measured, blocking all requestd from China snd Russia, as well as North Korea and Ukraine a few days later. I had over 4000 proxy servers attacking mine.

If the server is up to spec, then somebody seriously needs to look a the logs. It also could be the phpBB is not up to running the database effectively. It has to be affecting membership.

13. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

noticeably slower for me the last couple of months. sometimes if i hit refresh it speeds up the loading time.

14. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Perhaps we can all pitch in and get a better server. :righton:
    I'd be game. I time out here at least twice a day. That ought not be.
    A good server with several gigs of ram & a back up is pretty cheap even on a fat pipe now a days.

Come on guys! We can do this! Set up paypal or something. You will get my money.[​IMG]

15. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I still get the SQL database error of "Too many connections" fairly frequently. I look up the error message on the web and seems to have been, at least at one time, a popular problem with the current version of the php forums being used here. There was a lengthy posting about it in their own forums, which they moved over to their support site and failed tom post a solution in either place. I'm presuming, for $ conservation, the site is using a shared server and a shared database server. Ideally, it would be nice to migrate it to dedicated servers where there is no shared resources.

16. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Mostly works good but when it is slow, it is slower than any forum I've ever visited. Something must be broken.

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

18. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

I think GS1 has at various times mentioned the following...

1) Server is purchased VM capacity
    2) Site software is "standard" PHP site
    3) DB is MySQL (unknown version)
    4) Not set to use transactional InnoDB storage engine
    5) Volume of posts is believed to be major performance impact (unknown how far back they go)

19. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I experience problems like this on a couple other PHPBB forums.

20. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I'm in for $20 for a migration to Vbulletin with vBadvanced CMPS