Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
I hope they found an experienced hangman... if you do it wrong it certainly makes a mess. You can be doing the dance of death for an hour or more. :shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
I think it is because of the recent ip bans I have been doing because of spammers. I will contact support and see if there is a better way to do it than the htaccess file. (I got tired of banning the individual spammers so I started banning the ranges for entire countries.. the file is kind of large now)
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Interesting, GS1. Thank you for doing such a good job with the spammers. There certainly has seemed to be a rash of them, but as a whole, you have done an excellent job of keeping them off of this site.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
I think it is because of the recent ip bans I have been doing because of spammers. I will contact support and see if there is a better way to do it than the htaccess file. (I got tired of banning the individual spammers so I started banning the ranges for entire countries.. the file is kind of large now)
I do this on 3 sites that I manage. Once I got a good list built up with some pretty broad ranges, the spam slowed way down to just several comments per day where it was once 200-300 per day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
AV8R said:
Match10 said:
This is my Server Farmer's article. We use this, among other things.

http://gidenski.com/?p=650
That's awesome! How big is too big for the .htaccess file? If I go about blocking all the places I need to, that's gonna be a hefty file.
The country ip blocks website says you just have to check your performance after adding them to see. My htaccess is now nearly .5 mb but I saw a little slowdown after I first did it when it was around .25 mb.

Right now I only have 7 countries blocked.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
EJR914 said:
Interesting, GS1. Thank you for doing such a good job with the spammers. There certainly has seemed to be a rash of them, but as a whole, you have done an excellent job of keeping them off of this site.
The thanks for cleaning goes to the Moderators. I have only been throwing them out and trying to keep them out. The mods are the ones cleaning up the mess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,950 Posts
Sadly, I get hundreds popping up at new addresses as fast as I slap them. I approve every one, then send them to a moderated forum where I observe the first five postings, after that, they are promoted if they behave themselves. Some even know this, and wait until ten posts to spam my forum.

You can do a lot with the folks here too:

http://stopforumspam.com/

There are a couple of phpBB addins that are effective I hear. (I use some of the vBulletin ones.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
Match10 said:
Sadly, I get hundreds popping up at new addresses as fast as I slap them. I approve every one, then send them to a moderated forum where I observe the first five postings, after that, they are promoted if they behave themselves. Some even know this, and wait until ten posts to spam my forum.

You can do a lot with the folks here too:

http://stopforumspam.com/

There are a couple of phpBB addins that are effective I hear. (I use some of the vBulletin ones.)
This looks great, thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
The host told me of a firewall software they use on their shared servers and I have installed it and am currently playing with the settings. http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

I have cpanel on this server and it installed on it and allows direct editing of iptables from WHM. It also will do automatic grabs of 2 different block lists (spamhaus and dshield) as well as simply allowing you to enter the country code to deny the entire country (or allow only certain countries). There is even a place for you to be able to make up your own list and put it as a text file on your webserver for it to grab at whatever time interval you choose.

It also does a bunch of other stuff like monitoring login attempts and temporarily bans if someone tries to access SSH X number of times in X minutes. I have already seen one ip in brazil be banned.

Best of all the software is free.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
Definitely was the htaccess file. After I turned on the 2 blocklists I deleted all the entries in the htaccess file and uploaded it. Forum speed increased immediately.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
Yep I just noticed!
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
EJR914 said:
Interesting, GS1. Thank you for doing such a good job with the spammers. There certainly has seemed to be a rash of them, but as a whole, you have done an excellent job of keeping them off of this site.
The thanks for cleaning goes to the Moderators. I have only been throwing them out and trying to keep them out. The mods are the ones cleaning up the mess.
Gotcha. They have been doing a great job at moderating. I've noticed that their threads are very quickly being locked when reported.

Good job to both of you, including the Moderators here. Great job.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
mountainpass said:
Yep I just noticed!
I noticed it as well. That's really cool. Problem seems to be solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,950 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
I have already seen one ip in brazil be banned.
What is the IP...? I am having a heck of a time with one or two there, and cannot see something wrong.... They look legit. ...Yet my spidey-senses are tingling.
 

·
what me worry?
Joined
·
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your IP Address Is: 71.56.47.35

Whats My IP Address?

Our visitors need to know their IP address for many reasons including gaming, tech support, remote desktop connection, proxy detection, anonymity, or simply to see if their address has changed. Visitors often come here to do an IP Address Lookup to find the location of an IP address. Some folks might've gotten a spam email and want to learn How To Trace An Email. Others might ask themselves How Do I Change My IP. Whatever your reason for visiting, welcome. If you don't find what you're looking for, please Join The What Is My IP Address Forum where you can post your questions and get personal responses.
Internet Protocol Address:

This number is an exclusive number all information technology devices (printers, routers, modems, et al) use which identifies and allows them the ability to communicate with each other on a computer network. There is a standard of communication which is called an Internet Protocol standard. In laymans terms it is the same as your home address. In order for you to receive snail mail at home the sending party must have your correct mailing address (IP address) in your town (network) or you do not receive bills, pizza coupons or your tax refund. The same is true for all equipment on the internet. Without this specific address, information cannot be received. IP addresses may either be assigned permanently for an Email server/Business server or a permanent home resident or temporarily, from a pool of available addresses (first come first serve) from your Internet Service Provider. A permanent number may not be available in all areas and may cost extra so be sure to ask your ISP.

Read more: http://www.whatismyip.com/#ixzz1DZBVzOs4

http://www.whatismyip.com/
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top