Forum software update tonight

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by Gunstar1, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I will have to reinstall all the mods on the forum because the update will make them stop working. Which means their might be some odd things happen (like everying is flagged unread, or you cant even see the forum, things like that). I have the board fully backed up so if I can't get it working by the morning I will restore the backup.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

At first, I had the everything marked unread problem, but then realized I had been logged out (hopefully that was a one-time event?). When I logged in, it seemed to work fine.

And, I see we still have 211 users (although not all the same ones as yesterday).

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Should threads and posts I have read appear different from ones I have not read?

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The symbol next to threads or posts (I can't tell exactly what it is) appears colored (kind of a pale orange) when it is unread. It is colorless when it is read.

5. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

When I "View Unread Posts" and click on a Post, after I hit BACK to go and see what other unread posts I have, I sometimes get this message

You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

Is that a setting on search frequency that could be changed?? :)

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Once you have logged (and clicked that box to remember it) the forums should show what you have actually read. Once you have logged in, the forum uses a different method to keep track of posts you have read so as long as you have logged in it should work fine. Guests or people not logged in use cookies, which is stored on only that computer. Members that log in have their settings stored on the forum server so no matter what computer you log in on, you will see only the unread messages.
    Btw, are you still having problems with it automatically logging you in?

About the 211 users, I have deleted all (there were 9) that never clicked on the email verification to activate their account. There may be a few more spammers that did activate their account and never posted but I will wait to look at them later (I was too busy making sure the forum was working correctly last night).

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yes, it was set to 15 seconds before you could search again. I knocked it down to 10.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Mine are all the same (colored, showing new posts).

Obviously wrong.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

On the first forum page (the main page) at the bottom just above the "who is online" information is a link to mark all forums as read. See if clicking on that will remove all the unread marks.

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

No, that was fixed quite a while back, and still works after last night (I just got logged off by whatever work you did, I suppose).

11. Malum Prohibitum

That worked. Now do I have to do it every time before I leave?

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

No, you have to do it every 15 minutes. Or else your computer will lock up.

Because GS1 is :twisted:

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No, it should now keep track of all the new posts and it should make the orange disappear after you read it. (it should clear your unread list and start keeping track from now on)

If you use the latest post links on the right side of the forum topics (like where it says the post topic and when and who was the last to post in it) the forum itself may still be orange because their are older unread topics that you have still not read (I accidently click the already read last topic instead of the older unread one probably once a day)

14. Malum Prohibitum

OK - It's working now. I thought it was not until I re-read your last post and went back and found an older, unread thread.

Thanks.

15. wa4phy

wa4phy New Member

I'm still getting the "You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while." or whatever it is, after reading the unread messages mode. It's been a week or more since I visited, and there are quite a few new posts. It does appear to remove the ones I've read from the list, however the search function does foul the sequence up!

Sam

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I knocked it down to 5 seconds.

17. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Maybe if we keep asking, he'll knock it down to 0 !!! hahahah :lol:

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Nah, 1 is as low as I would go. :mrgreen: