Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving the site to the new server Sunday. I don't know when yet as I am waiting for the DNS servers to update to the new settings.

It shouldn't take me long to get the new site up and running (technically it already is running, I just have to update the latest files). However, since there is a DNS update to go along with this move, some may get back on faster than others. So the amount of time the forum may be down for you could be anywhere from 3 to 48 hours.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I'll pray for a prompt recovery. :lol:

·
Swollen Member
11,932 Posts
I use the direct IP in my etc/hosts file vs DNS. Can I get the new IP so I can update my hosts file?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Noooooo!!! What forum am I gonna check all day?!

Oh well, Cheers to new servers and such... :drink:

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Withdrawal symptoms are already manifesting themselves, and it's not even happened yet.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
This is great news!!! Nice job GunStar!!! :)

If you ever need help, I'm available to assist.

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
oh no but great news ill suffer silently (as anyone whos met me knows im the quiet one)

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
What does that mean for the computer illiterate.....me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
mountainpass said:
It means you'll drink 174 cups of coffee, make 36 trips to the head, punch "page reload" 165 times while your wife asks you 128 times just when the HECK you'll get off the computer & take out the trash.

(or it might be the IP address of the new server ("ip address" = the numerical locator for the server,a s opposed to "GPDO")

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Editingfx said:
(or it might be the IP address of the new server ("ip address" = the numerical locator for the server,a s opposed to "GPDO")
Explain how I can get there. I'm on Windows XP.

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
mountainpass said:
Editingfx said:
Explain how I can get there. I'm on Windows XP.
:lol: :rotfl2: :lol: :rotfl2: :lol: :rotfl2: :lol: :rotfl2: :lol: :rotfl2: :lol: :rotfl2: :lol: :rotfl2: :lol:

Sorry I'm not laughing at you ... well maybe a little ... :oops: ... Just reminds me of it taking me 5 minutes over the phone trying to get my mother-in-law to type in: http:

You'll get there the same way you always get here once it's set up.

Rather than try to type out the explanation of what DNS is, this sums it up pretty simply for the non-techie:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Glad I could help yall have a good laugh this morning. :wink:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
mountainpass said:
In the world of digital - there is no such thing as "georgiapacking.org", there is only zero's and one's. As such, any and every domain (website) has an IP address, such as (in this case) 174.36.165.128. You can actually get to a given website by typing into your browser the IP address rather than the domain name - but that's a lot harder to remember.

So, there is this thing called the DNS (domain name server) that basically sets up a table for all web addresses that says "IP address XXX = domain name YYY". When you type a domain name in, your computer goes to this table, finds out what IP address that name is equal to, then goes to that IP address.

Any time a domain name or IP address changes, the DNS takes a little time to reflect that change (propagate). Because of that, when the IP address of georgiapacking.org changes, you may be temporarily (minutes to hours) be unable to connect while the propagation takes place.

Now before the IT-folks that know much more about this than I jump all over me - this is intended to be a simple, straight-forward answer to the question, not a highly-technical one.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
livesounder said:
mountainpass said:
In the world of digital - there is no such thing as "georgiapacking.org", there is only zero's and one's. As such, any and every domain (website) has an IP address, such as (in this case) 174.36.165.128. You can actually get to a given website by typing into your browser the IP address rather than the domain name - but that's a lot harder to remember.

So, there is this thing called the DNS (domain name server) that basically sets up a table for all web addresses that says "IP address XXX = domain name YYY". When you type a domain name in, your computer goes to this table, finds out what IP address that name is equal to, then goes to that IP address.

Any time a domain name or IP address changes, the DNS takes a little time to reflect that change (propagate). Because of that, when the IP address of georgiapacking.org changes, you may be temporarily (minutes to hours) be unable to connect while the propagation takes place.

Now before the IT-folks that know much more about this than I jump all over me - this is intended to be a simple, straight-forward answer to the question, not a highly-technical one.
Pretty good.

In some cases (this is one) the server to which that IP address belongs actually has more than one website on it. So entering the ip in this case will just get you a page that says "Default Website Page". Your browser tells the server what domain name you are trying to reach and will direct the browser to those files, by entering just the ip address you do not give the server those directions and so it gives you a default page.

DNS updating takes time because you can't have everyone in the world looking to one server for the DNS information for any and every site. So a lot of web devices will keep temporary lists of DNS lookups that have been done recently. If you visit the forum, you ask your isp's dns server for the ip address of georgiapacking.org. If it doesn't know, it will ask another server up the line for the answer. When it learns the answer, it remembers the answer for a day or 2 in case you or someone else asks for it so it doesn't have bother any of the servers up the line. You computer will remember it too (unless you disable/re-enable the network card or turn off your pc) so that it does not have to ask your ISP for the ip address every time you click to view a new page. The delay for propagation is the time it takes for the devices to realize the information is old and to check again and find out the information has changed. The different times is because the dns server you use may have just updated with the old settings right before they were changed while another server may have updated just after the changes were made.

By editing your hosts file with the name and ip address, you are overriding the DNS information and the computer will follow those directions when you type the name into the browser.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
mark5019 said:
oh no but great news ill suffer silently (as anyone whos met me knows im the quiet one)
says the guy who started all this...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts