Forum is under some kind of Bot attack

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by DonT, Jan 30, 2018.

1. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Site admin and moderators: the forum is under a serious Bot attack with a bunch of spam threads. Or whatever it is. Needs to be addressed.

GPAdmin likes this.
  2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

What? You don't want a Croatian drivers license or passport?

Archangel likes this.

3. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

The various counterfeit currencies do sound tempting.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Already have one, these are lower quality........

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Are new accounts automatically approved or is there some vetting process involved? Like checking the IP address? Addresses originating in Slovakia or Nigeria or which are known scammer addresses probably have no real interest in a Georgia firearms board other than to be a PITA.

Archangel likes this.
  6. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Is there any way of stopping a human fraudster / spammer who can read simple English from registering here, and then using his own SPAM-generating software to flood our threads with post after post of his crap?

What IS the screening process used to let new people register here, anyway?

Is it something simple like read a sentence and fill in the blank word? Any computer program can do that on its own these days, and it will be right 95% of the time.
    It is looking at a picture and identifying what parts of the picture have certain items in them? That's pretty simple, too.

On one hand, we need better screening.

On the other hand, gun lovers tend to be suspicious of giving out their private information, so doing a phone number verification or something would probably discourage new gun owners from registering here and participating in the chat.

7. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Mods used to be able to be more proactive regarding this... But with the new format...

Not so much...

AtlPhilip likes this.
  8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What makes you so sure it is not sponsored ad content for profit?

:D

I'll second what Archangel said . . .

DonT likes this.
  9. GPAdmin

GPAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I've blocked countries outside of the US from accessing the site. That should help make it a bit better to prevent mischievous users.

DonT likes this.
  10. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

But where will I be able to buy my fake passport and Nigerian birth certificates with counterfeit rupees.

11. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

If you need some, let me know. I might know a guy who can help. I was able to make some great networking contacts through some of the recent new GPDO members who can hook you up. That is, before they've been unfairly shut out from making business deals here. From researching their organization (ok, well, I glanced at the threads here, but, whatever) they seem to have connections to whatever governmental agency that you might need papers or currency from. I'm sure they are probably, maybe, sort of, you know, legit, or something. (/sarc)

12. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

They are definitely upstanding citizens of whatever country they are from.

13. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

It's a shame the 1st octet of the IP space wasn't divided by country/continent initially. a short simple .htaccess would eliminate 95% of all hackers.

If this were vBulletin, the "Miserable User" mod is helpful. It matches their IP and cookies dropped. You can evade it, but it takes work.

14. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

One problem with blocking everybody outside USA, is we have had some legit inquiries from overseas. iirc, some UK folks were planning a visit. Didn't we have someone down in the islands too?