Fort Stewart

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by ptsmith24, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'll be passing through Ft. Stewart tomorrow and I'd like to hear from some people on here regarding their weapons policy. "Unloaded and in trunk" is what I'm reading somewhere on Stewart's website. I won't be stopping; just passing through to get to Hinesville.

Thanks.

2. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

I would just go through RichmondHill down 17 to 196 to 84 and avoid that deathtrap of a green tunnel 144 and FTS all together.

I forget the reg number when I looked it up awhile back, but it's locked up out of reach seperated from ammo. Technically, it only really addressed coming on post to use the ranges, living in the barracks and transporting it to ranges and off post and back to the arms room and people who live on post, so it adds in registration.

So basically, Im not sure what the right answer would be if you were stopped at the gate and searched and told them you were just passing through.

3. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

You can also go down 301, past Glennville, and hang a left on 196. Mission Essential is on the right right after you pass the "Hinesville City Limit" sign (and I mean IMMEDIATELY after the sign)

It's a little longer in distance but a little faster, as the speed limits are higher.

I may or may not have transported weapons that were not locked in the trunk across the post. Of course, it would have been after 1700 when I may or may not have done it, so that may have something to do with the fact that I never saw anyone at the gate.

4. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I have asked several of the renta cops they have all said weapons must be unloaded and out of reach, ammo seperate from weapon lock perferred. if you are passing through the field areas (not main post) they will not mess with you aslong as you do not give them a reason. On main post (inside guarded gates) only from one point to the next, no stopping at PX, gas. How does this effect if you are passing through would depend on the reason stopped/searched and officer. They do random searches at the gates :shock:

I would recommend going around main post if possible.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Alright, thanks everyone. Snake, 301 to 196 shows 1.5 hrs on maps and 67 to 196 shows 1 hr 6 min. I'd rather take the longer time than going through Stewart. So, Mission Essential is right on 196? Maps is showing it 1/4 mile down Hollywood Dr. off of 196. I'm leaving about 3:00 to go.

ETA: It's the same time, but longer distance if I go 16-95-17-84-196.

6. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

ptsmith,

If you are coming from the West on 196 it will be on the right directly across from the VFW (couple tanks out front). It is a bit hard to find the first time, if you se tanks look left. If you pass Liberty tire (left) or get to the stop light with a new road you have gone about a half mile to far.

They are only about 100m off of 196 not 1/4 mile so you can see them, greyish building with 3 or so stores they are in the center.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The VFW with tanks is on the left, correct? So, if I see tanks look left? I'm just going to assume that you mean look right. I should be there sometime between 4:30 and 4:45 this afternoon.

8. gsusnake

There's a sign on 196, coming in from Glennville, that says "Hinesville City Limits" in white lettering on a green background.

The road you turn on is literally 5 feet behind it.

I wish I didn't have to work, I'm always up for a trip to the gun store...

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, it was easy to find. I actually passed it the first time, but realized it as I was passing, so I just turned into the gas station on the left just past the VFW. Awesome store, great guy.

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Random point:

I believe that you can be pulled over and ticketed for using a cellphone while driving at Ft. Stewart so don't do it if this is true.

11. gsusnake

Yup, there are signs up all over that state you have to use a handsfree device.

I don't get any cell phone reception there anyway, so it's a non-issue.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I believe most mil places are like that. I didn't go through it and I'm not going to. It isn't a bad ride at all through Glenville. No traffic, nice roads. That's the way I'll go for now.